Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hair
Quote | Reply
Howdy. 6d/week and 3+ doubles/week. 3x before work, 3x at lunch (shower at work). Maybe 1x/w in the evening. My hair is long, straight, fine and floppy. I'm a CPA so I have to look professional and the men dominate the space and the ladies are polished and look expensive. I highlight blonde to compliment the tan. Otherwise my hair would be bland light brown. Also getting grey in the temples and crown.

Hair driers are against all rules - no time and it just makes me sweatier. I run hot.

Hair up is ok. Right now I wrap it up with a hair clip but it isn't up to snuff. Short hair just doesn't look good on me. My face is too round and my legs too thick.

I earn forgiveness for my physique and fitness level.

I work 4 blocks from home. No time to airdry.

I never wear makeup. But I own some. Are you supposed to take that shit off each workout??

When I do nothing I look like a washed up blonde hippie surfer chic with a great tan. When I do it up (hair + makeup) I look awesome after ~30+ minute.

Normally a pony tail during runs, knots during rides, braids during races.

My colleagues win at looking professional. I win at physique, diet and overall health.

Haircut next week. What to do??

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh. And bromine. Duh. 'Nuff said.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it long, dry shampoo and a braided updo? (Youtube is your friend for learning how to do new hairdos)
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa. Dry shampoo? ...must learn more... never even heard of that before. I do, however, still use cream rinse.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an Aussie Moist 3 minute deep conditioner once a week or so that I love (google tells me that cream rinse = conditioner). I also use leave in conditioner occasionally but it tends to make my hair feel quite flat at the roots.

I have heard good things about the Batiste dry shampoo. I find the Herbal Essences one is quite meh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wig?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ I would shave my head in 2 seconds and go wig. But aren't they itchy? My job is tough enough as it is. An itchy head to boot? That's a hard sell.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...yours sounds like mine-I have really fine,thick,same highlights and a bit of grey ...i cut it shoulder length with some layers around my face.I don't have to look super nice at work but I can put it into a low pony(yes,go for some good dry shampoo if you are going from workout to office)and smooth it with some styling cream maybe?fwiw when I wear it down I towel dry and use "surf spray" to get a "beach y" (it's from Bumble and Bumble and smells great),but I don't think that's polished enough for work?anyway my vote is for some face framing layers(not too short or they won't stay in ponytails,braids).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How sweaty do you get? Can you get away with not wetting your hair and just freshening it up a bit? Dry shampoo might be a good option.
My hair takes FOREVER to dry and therefore I don't wash it after every workout.
I'm sure you'll find someone on here to chime in and you'll have some new options you can try out!
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I do get pretty sweaty - kind of oily if I don't wash. I'm going to check out this dry shampoo thing. I've never even heard of such a thing!

For layering around the face - does it pull back out of your face or fall out of the pony? I think I did a layered thing many moons ago and spent all my runs flicking my lost strands of hair back. I tried those skinny head band things but I must have a big head because they all gave me a headache.

Hair cut is on Thursday. I'll probably lose 1/3 of the hair, maybe more, so that will help a lot with dry time. I usually only get it cut 2-3 times a year so it gets pretty long.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just googled "professional wet hairstyles" or something similar and ended up with lot of Pinterest boards with ideas. Something like a braided chignon might work, and it's easy. I have personally mastered about 100 different versions of the messy bun, LOL!

I wouldn't go so short that you can't pull it back, but that's my personal preference. Dry shampoo is like $4 at Target, but I don't think you'll want to use it if you get sweaty enough that your hair gets damp. Can you quick blow-dry the roots on the dryer's "cold" setting, fluff, spray, and wrap into a bun or chignon?

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have layers but none that won't fit back into the ponytail. Tell the hair stylist that whatever they do, you need a pony tail. That should help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the layers should fit into your ponytail and the few that are strays(usually they don't bother me but I get it if they do)-just barrette them?anyway good luck-let us know what you come up with:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+ 1 for dry shampoo.

I also really like sea salt beach sprays. In 40 seconds, it turns my sweaty (very fine and straight) hair into tousled waves that look intentionally styled enough to fly at my corporate job -- the one I use is from Not Your Mother's wand is less than five bucks at the drugstore.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa! I'm learning how to girl here. I need to get out more....

Ok. One more question - am I supposed to wear freaking make up? Do I remove it before I exercise and put it back on when I'm cleaned up? I think there are two other gals at work who don't wear make up. I can pull it off, but it is because I'm rocking a nice tan, but my "professionalism" is definitely a step down from the ladies who are done up. What do you gals do!?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At most, I wear tinted moisturizer, SPF powder, and mascara. Total time with aforementioned hair tousling < 3:30 minutes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You made me snort.

Shower + hair + attire is currently <6:00, assuming I had already stopped sweating. Sweat factor adds 5+.

Isn't everything just another form of transition?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:D

Oh, I wasn't counting shower time but that's short too.

Cold showers and dresses FTW.

Dresses make people think I'm a lady but really I just can't be bothered to match more than one piece of clothing.

Quote Reply
Re: Hair [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
Can you quick blow-dry the roots on the dryer's "cold" setting, fluff, spray, and wrap into a bun or chignon?

This is what I do when I work out at lunch. I rinse/wash the sweat off my body in a shower, then take a hairdryer on cool setting to my scalp until it's relatively dry. Just takes a few minutes. I have very straight, collar-bone-length hair so it usually looks the same as before I worked out after this. Pull it into a pony or low bun if it got crazy wet - the important thing is to dry what is exposed on your scalp so it doesn't get crusty.

As for makeup, I don't wash everything off my face after sweating - dab it off, yes, but completely wash it away, no. I usually re-apply concealer, mineral foundation (lightly) and sometimes touch up eye shadow depending on how much came off. Takes 60 seconds.

I've found a good mascara is key to looking like you made an effort in the makeup department (L'Oreal Voluminous for me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on dresses. Add heels for good measure.

As for dry shampoo, I think you still need to air/blow dry before application. Doesn't quite work on wet hair. Some days when I am pressed for time, I just towel dry, comb through, get to the office, blast desk fan to air dry. So long as my hair isn't dripping wet, I don't think anyone cares.

For makeup, I just slap on some primer, foundation and blusher and I'm done. Never made the effort to go into mascara/liner territory. Sucks when you are pressed for time, still sweating and trying to slap stuff on your face. Outcome is never nice.

I never accessorise - saves time putting stuff on - and I keep my garmin on my wrist the whole day, only changing it for a watch I keep in my desk drawer if I have meetings.

Yeap, workout to office is just another transition that we have to get through. The men have it easy on this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
htrout wrote:
Isn't everything just another form of transition?

But of course ;) I definitely approach makeup as I do transition.

I have full face "transition" down to 6 minutes: primer, liquid foundation, setting powder, contour & highlight, brows, lip colour, eye primer, daytime smoky eyeshadow, gel liner, waterproof setting spray, mascara.

The key (like any transition) is practice, practice, practice until it feels relaxed and smooth without wasted movements.

My advice: spend the money on really good makeup. It has more pigment/less water or talc so it goes on quickly & the way you want it the first time and every time, even when your skin is still sweaty. I swear by Urban Decay products.
Last edited by: Mell: Aug 5, 16 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
:D

Oh, I wasn't counting shower time but that's short too.

Cold showers and dresses FTW.

Dresses make people think I'm a lady but really I just can't be bothered to match more than one piece of clothing.

^^This. Currently working on converting my entire wardrobe into dresses.

To add...I workout mostly during lunch, which requires a return to the office. My day:

1st thing in the AM: shower and wash hair, get ready, go to work

Lunch time: Gym

Post workout: shower, keep hair out of the water. Brush still sweaty hair, spray the roots with dry shampoo, cool blow dry until sweat is mostly dry. A little eye shadow and mascara, a bit of sheer powder to dull down the inevitable red face I get after working out...and wa la!
Back to the office.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have longish fine thin hair that is colored (otherwise it would be completely limp and useless). I keep my hair long to I can pull it up and do something with it. Use to have super short hair and hated it. I wear it in ponytail or bun most of the time. I occasionally wear it down but I work with little kids and it gets in the way. I wear small amounts of makeup (takes me about 5 minutes to apply makeup). I use a foundation, blush, compact and small amounts of eye shadow, brow color and mascara. Very simple makeup routine for me. I can't do lunch workouts but do workout am and pm or sometimes just pm.

I wet my hair and condition it before swimming which helps with chlorine damage.....
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use dry shampoo now that my new employer does not have shower facilities - it does make a difference - helps me avoid a 2nd morning shower. I never thought it would work, but it's pretty good. Not the best, but a lot better than nothing. I too wear almost no make-up (only mascara) and I take it off for swimming (ruins the inside finish on the goggles) and bed (duh).

Just remember its about what's in your brain not on it. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Hair [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dry shampoo don't works for my hair .
Do you dye your hair or just use toner ? Try to add different shades. it is look chic I've got long hair with a fringe and i have a shower at work and then wash it but, like you, can't dry it, so I put it back using an alice band or something similar (Claire's accessories sell really nice plaited alice bands in different hair colours, so I got one to match my dark hair which looks quite nice. My hair dries curly, and I use serum to define the curls so it doesn't go frizzy when it dries and the plainted alice band disguises the curly frizzy fringe. Sometimes can add french braids . Works for me.
Last edited by: stream26: Mar 25, 17 2:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next