Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone NOT use butt paste/chamois cream?
Quote | Reply
In another thread I bemoaned an ongoing issue in the taint region. Since I'm doing longer trainer rides as part of my training plan I've been liberally applying chamois cream. I was still having issues.

Today, on my 3hr ride (Sufferlandria National Day of Suffering) I used no cream and wore tri shorts Vs the bibs I've been wearing on my long rides. No issues and the taint region issue felt fine ( other than the normal relative discomfort that comes with a 3hr ride).

I'm wondering about the shorts but also if the thick application of the cream was actually aggravating the issue versus helping it. Anyone else have similar experience?

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use butt paste/chamois cream? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it depends on your saddle. If you have a padded saddle like a Cobb Flow plus or Max then the additional padding of the Bibs ends up being too much padding = discomfort. In that case using just tri shorts on the bike works much better for me.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use any cream. 60 minute trainer rides up to 4-5 hour rides outside.

FWIW sometimes on early morning trainer rides I'll just jump in in my briefs. No tri shorts or bibs.

I think it comes down to two things
1) proper bike fit
2) proper saddle for you

Are you getting soreness, numbness or saddle sores?

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use butt paste/chamois cream? [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used any butt paste/chamois cream, even when I was only cycling.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never used it on my road bike. I got a tri bike and had to use it on even the shortest of rides and I still got chafing. Once I sorted out the seat, it was an Adamo and I had to zip tie it narrower, I don't need to wear it anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Tri-slide vs pastes or lubes. Totally water proof and feels silky smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use butt paste/chamois cream? [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always found that the weather has a lot to do with whether I use cream. High heat and high humidity = love of chamois cream.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone NOT use butt paste/chamois cream? [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:
I use Tri-slide vs pastes or lubes. Totally water proof and feels silky smooth.

Curious what kind of residue this product leaves post-ride and how easy it is to get off. Also, anyone experience any skin sensitivity issues with this product? I've been thinking about trying...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For longer indoor sessions, I've found that simply changing shorts every 60-90 minutes completely solves this problem.

I only use cream for longer outdoor rides in the heat of summer when swapping shorts isn't an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never used cream of any kind. Then again, I dont go commando.
I have found undergarments that work like a charm. Very light and wicks away sweat in a super jiff.
Those undies and any of my tri shorts and my ism saddle, work very well for all my riding needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it when I need it... So longer runs/rides, maybe if I've been putting in a lot of work and I notice a little bit of butt burn in the the shower. Other than that I try to go without. This is a pretty individual thing, but with that said what has worked for me is I don't use it on short days so I'm not dependent on needing it. But if I feel a little bit of a raw area in the shower the next day I'll throw on a dab on.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use it. I apply coconut oil before I ride and again after I shower. Works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't need to use butt cream with modern shorts. Could be a sizing issue. Your's might be too loose? Or poor quality (that doesn't mean cheap, quality and price are not always related)
Quote Reply