Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, followed the advice you gave NilsD and went back and looked closer at everything, my wedge was more preloaded up the cable than his. Brought it all the way out to flush with end of cable, and readjusted the setscrews. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks bunches.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great to hear! ride on.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys.

Im about to lay down some serious money on a Trek Speed Concept because I have a love affair with TREK.. But I have some concerns and im wondering if you guys can lay them to rest.

The major one is around travel. I travel alot for events and im concerned that because of the spaghetti of integrated Di2 cables in the head tube dismantling this bike to put it into a bike box would be a complete nightmare!

Do any 2016 owners have any experience packing these things in a bike box and can you comment on just how easy/difficult it is? I have a BikeBox Alan if that makes a difference.

The 2nd issue is the sizing. Apparently I need an XL frame but the pad reach will be 12mm longer than my existing P3. I know its only 12mm and I could probably move the saddle forward but does anyone know if I could tap some new mounting holes into the single aero bar?

Thanks in advance for your advice

K
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [karrion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi karrion-

savvy Di2 owners bundle the excess wires and secure them with a ziptie or twist-tie or rubber band...no need for loose spaghetti.

on travel breakdown, check out this video (bonus: it's a Di2-equipped SC)

on sizing, I find it hard to believe you'd need to modify anything about the SC front end to accommodate the fit you have on your P3. got some fit coordinates you can post? armpad stack and reach are the key #s, but anything you can add will help.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel with my '14 SC a fair amount. It breaks down and reassembles pretty easily to be honest. I have a different Di2 setup than most, however, that involves putting the junction box and battery in the SC specific bento on the top tube. This makes things a bit easier for me IMO. Maybe I'll post a picture later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karrion wrote:

The 2nd issue is the sizing. Apparently I need an XL frame but the pad reach will be 12mm longer than my existing P3. I know its only 12mm and I could probably move the saddle forward but does anyone know if I could tap some new mounting holes into the single aero bar?

Thanks in advance for your advice

K

The generic Trek sizing chart says I need a Large based on my height. But because I ride with a low stack, I need a Medium. A small would work, doesn't have enough reach. A Large can't go low enough enough front.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...C_FitGuide_final.pdf

If you know your stack and reach, you might verify that you need an XL, and you might verify that you cannot change the reach. The reach is the most easily adjustable position. The dimensions that have "Steps" are the stack (5mm increments) and the extension length (distance form shifters to pads) are in I think 5 mm increments. But depending on the extension length and reach you want, they only overlaps in certain ranges. Depending on where you land, you reach or stack may force you into a larger or smaller size.

Also, unless you love your position, you might take the opportunity to see a fitter and change things, ideally within the range of the frame size you choose.

Normally you err on the smaller frame size because you'll have a longer stem and it will handle better and be more stable feeling. Personally I prefer more weight on the front too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice and prompt response guys..

I have thrown up my Retuul fit from last year.. From these stats I throught I came up as a "Large" Frame but I have spoken to both my LBS I am buying from and my Retuul Fit Guy and they both say "XL Frame"

What do you guys say?

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the vid Carl, this is perfect!! I dont know why I couldnt find this, I have been googling / youtubing around for ages trying to find exactly this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
running those numbers in the (real) SC fit chart I end up with you on a Large, too...high-far stem, 25mm monospacer + 5mm pad wing spacer...even nails the basebar stack within 1mm.

that said, your shop and your fitter are a lot closer to you and the process than I am. I can only guess they're seeing something that I don't (can't). the XL, medium-far, 45mm monospacer combo works too...basebar stack is a tad lower but it probably ends up as a cleaner looking bike overall. the frame geometry on the XL is the closest match to your 58 P3 as well, so it would offer the least difference in handling qualities.

one thing to watch for is standover height, as the XL is almost an inch more to step over vs the L...plus speedbox/bento or anything else you put on the toptube.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl,

I think you are seeing the same thing as my LBS and fitter. They both said the Large would work but the number of spacers needed to make it work but be too much and make for a very ugly machine..

If you think the XL will work too and I can get my nuts over the top tube I think the closer geometry to my existing the P3 would be better.

Thanks again for all your advice and support! I see a nice new Speed Concept in my future :)

Ride Safe

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished my first trip that required packing my SC. The tips you gave for packing were perfect and easy. This is my first bike with a seatpost battery, and apparently the first for the shop as well. I asked for a longer wire, and told them I would pull out the seatpost for travel. When I pulled it out, the wire unplugged, and couldn't be reached. The shop had to remove the bottom bracket to retrieve it because the mechanic had wound up the extra wire and taped it into a ball because he was worried about it becoming tangled in or damaged by the axle, and didn't understand my request. I had to abandon the packing process to him, as I ran out of time, and his solution was to pack it without removing the seatpost, once he had reattached the wires. I use a SciCon hard case and ride an XS Speed Concept, so it fits if you put it in upside down, with the saddle at the bottom and the chainring at the top. I repacked it the same way after my race.

Now that I'm back from my trip, I have a few questions:
1. Is it safe to pack it without removing the seatpost? I got away with it for this trip, but I've heard stories of broken seatposts derailing races.
2. How can the wire be situated in the seatpost so that it can be retrieved for reconnection, but doesn't interfere with the axle or be damaged by it?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad the tips worked for you, at least one direction.

Should be ok to leave the post in. ..though I might suggest simply dropping it all the way down for most people. ..just to make sure it fits in their cases.

The bb90 bottom bracket has a plastic axle shield that is installed before the bearings. ..with that in place there's no way for the wires and bb spindle to contact each other.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is a help to anyone, but figured I'd share. I never cared for the BTA bottle setup, like the location, just blocked my computer. Tried mounting comp further up the bars, but still wasn't happy. What I ended up doing cost $5, and really like the location.

Went to a hobby shop and picked up a 24" carbon fiber strip. Cut a piece, Drilled holes in said piece. Reversed cage. On the furthest forward hole, need a nut with screw. Simple to do. Here are some pics..(can't figure how to attach multiple pics at same time, so will reply with other pics)

1)carbon strip
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fat_Ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carrion -

As far as travel is concerned - I purchased a Scicon Aero Tri bike bag that has worked well for me.

Removing the bars on the SC is a total pain and should be avoided at all costs. Most travel bags are out of the question.

The Scion allows you to fly with the bars intact. For the SC, I a) remove wheels, b) remove the bottom bracket "fin", c) remove the rear derailleur. That's it. Can pack the bike in about 15 minutes, and so far have not had any baggage handling issues in 5 round-trips.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sci-con-bike-bag-aero-confort-triathlon/121023/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=485927&country=us&gclid=CIrpoKWO480CFZY1aQod4jMI2w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope this helps

DW
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone using those small rubber wedges for the 2014+ basebar that go on top at end of bar? I guess you put them on and then wrap tape over them.Apparently helps so hand doesnt slip forward?
Only $7 but was thinking that maybe doubling up the tape in that area would serve same purpose, Tape probably too soft.

https://v2uploads.zopim.io/...b06a8e2c603d4f57.jpg
Last edited by: Johnnyfever: Jul 14, 16 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dwoodside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dwoodside wrote:
Hi Carrion -

As far as travel is concerned - I purchased a Scicon Aero Tri bike bag that has worked well for me.

Removing the bars on the SC is a total pain and should be avoided at all costs. Most travel bags are out of the question.

The Scion allows you to fly with the bars intact. For the SC, I a) remove wheels, b) remove the bottom bracket "fin", c) remove the rear derailleur. That's it. Can pack the bike in about 15 minutes, and so far have not had any baggage handling issues in 5 round-trips.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sci-con-bike-bag-aero-confort-triathlon/121023/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=485927&country=us&gclid=CIrpoKWO480CFZY1aQod4jMI2w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope this helps

DW

This was one of the most popular bags at Kona. Especially with pros. Ben Kanute used it too for his Madone ... which has a heavily integrated dropbar, and had a lot of the DI2 electronics in it I think. Assembly as I remember took the Trek guy maybe 5 minutes.

I might get one if do another destination race next year.... which is looking likely.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an XL Speed Concept 7.5 and the handle bars would not fit in the Scicon Aero comfort, to my surprise. Great looking product but not enough material to make it around the frame. I'm still looking for a travel option for the XL frame if anyone has experience with that. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Winnebago Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, what is the appropriate torque for the rear derailleur hanger mounting bolts on a 2014 SC? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only 2-3Nm...those are small...

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Is there data that shows the BTA bottle placement using the factory bottle cage adapter is optimal? It seems a little high, as it sits maybe 5mm above the vertical center between my arms. The bracket is pretty thick. It seems like a thin piece of stainless steel for the bracket would be able to drop it quite a bit. It would be nice if it was slotted so you could fine tune the fore-aft position a little.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We didn't run any sort of exhaustive list of sizes, shapes, positions, people related to BTA if that's what you mean. Basically checked to see that with Manny aboard there was little or no aero impact to the design we had and that's what shows up in the white paper. That said, there are definitely some best-practices when it comes to where the bottle is located in that space...and they boil down to trying to fill the gap between your arms as best you can. That's why we've got a cage and rail system that has lots of fore-aft flexibility and open sides on the cage, so you can get that bottle tucked in between your forearms and (generally) forward without interfering with your wrists like some cages do.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
We didn't run any sort of exhaustive list of sizes, shapes, positions, people related to BTA if that's what you mean. Basically checked to see that with Manny aboard there was little or no aero impact to the design we had and that's what shows up in the white paper. That said, there are definitely some best-practices when it comes to where the bottle is located in that space...and they boil down to trying to fill the gap between your arms as best you can. That's why we've got a cage and rail system that has lots of fore-aft flexibility and open sides on the cage, so you can get that bottle tucked in between your forearms and (generally) forward without interfering with your wrists like some cages do.

Yes, the fore after adjustment is fairly good. It would be nice if it could be fined tuned just a little more rather than stepped increments. It's the height that I'd like adjusted.

I just upgraded from a 2010 SC 7.5 that I had really dialed in, and all these little details are a challenge because they can be significant. I'm not yet convinced it's any faster than my old bike. But I switched power meters, so I don't have hard numbers, just estimates. Just trying to pick away at the small details that might be holding me back.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: stepped increments...if you're using a standard cage with two holes then yes it's stepped...our SC RXL cage has two long slots, which doesn't lock you into those steps as much. just attach it with both bolts either at the forward or trailing ends of the slots and you'll have almost the whole slot to work with.

appreciate the feedback on height.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm new to the speed concept and have a few questions. I own a 2016 speed concept 7 and I've been having trouble dialing in shifting for both the front and rear deraillers. The ultegra shifting on my road bike is so much cleaner. Is this something I should just get used to or shall I keep going back to the shop? Is electronic shifting a realistic solution? How hard is retrofitting with di2? Also, I've been looking around for the 7.5 style cockpit because I love its integrated design. Is it possible to get this somewhere or does it only come stock on the 7.5 and higher?
Quote Reply

Prev Next