Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is mounted correctly. I noticed it would work it's way forward at the bottom while riding and I kept popping it back. When it came off it was a total surprise and actually dented in the edge. After pushing the plastic back out I started using black duct tape around the seems to hold it on. Waiting on a response from Giant regarding that and some other issues I experienced racing Oceanside last weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am having this very problem. I just got a Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2, I've had it out on the road twice with the front bottle half full of liquid, on both occasions it has fallen off when going over small bumps in the road. In your post you mention a screw holding the bottle or bracket in place, I don't see this on my bike.

Could you by any chance post a picture of the correct mounting of the bottle? I am going back to my Giant retailer to get them to investigate, but would like to have some evidence if it has been mis-fitted. My plastic bottle is now trashed from the drop offs, not what I wanted when buying a new bike :-(

Thanks for any assistance.

Smt1975.
Last edited by: Smt1975: May 29, 16 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [Smt1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was simply that the top 5mm bolt that holds the bracket on was incorrectly installed. The bracket came off with the bottle and with that screw correctly installed, that won't happen.

I have just been taping the bottle on each side with gorilla tape. Be careful. The graphics on the bottle are a sticker, not paint. So, if you want to maintain them, don't put the tape on them, (They do restick on easy enough.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was given a new top bracket that held the bottle tighter on top but still let it slip out at the bottom creating a gap. I also broke one of the brackets just installing the bottle. With all of that said, my confidence in the bottle staying on was not there and I was still taping it to the bike through my race at St George. I ended up taking the bike back as it was not living up to the marketing hype...
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [jason8563] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the issue was the bottom bracket as outlined in the other thread?
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Giant_Trinity_Advanced_Pro_Front_Hydration_System_-_Falling_Off....._P5961400/?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. I had the correct set up, unfortunately it's a poor design.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to jump in -
Just curious if anyone had a suggestion on the straw length or on how to fill up the front aero bottle on the bike - so far I'm making a huge mess...
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving this thread. After a season of racing, the same issue came up again. I put my bike on the trainer the other day and my left shifter was dead. Opened up the front end last night and found that all my cables going to the rear of the bike were sliced open. It even went through the heat shielding that placed over the cable.

This is actually the 3rd time this year that I have had to address this issue.

1) Is anyone else out there experiencing this?

2) Has the routing changed with the 2017 Bikes?

3) Has anyone thought of a better method to route?

Thanks
Last edited by: mcgong: Oct 26, 16 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll open mine up and take a look on Friday.

The last time I looked, I didn't think there was any issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Perhaps you can post a photo of how you ran your cables. Maybe mine are not ran right, or there needs to be more slack in the line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll open mine up today too and have a look. I've used mine since March and have only recently put it away fro the winter, it's had a few k of miles put on it. However, from memory I know all my cables run the right side of the steerer as opposed to each side. Really annoying when you're trying to roll your bike in a straight line as it keeps turning itself to the right so I planned to open it up and re-route it this winter. I'll have a look later and take some photos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had trouble with a few things on this bike...

1. Front hydration flew off on the first ride, destroyed. Got a new one on warranty and rigged up a zip tie to keep it on; haven't had any problems since. If using, don't put anything in it except water. You'll get whatever is in it all over your front end no matter what.

2. Front cables being rubbed. Haven't had to replace any yet or had any wear through to the point of not being able to use it. Wrapped some tape around them so hopefully that holds up for this last race.

3. Front brake. One of my return springs got messed up on my front brake so one of the arms would not go back to the open position. Got a new (updated) one on warrenty. Installed this along with some better cable routing and haven't had any problems since.

4. Little "aero" fins on the rear brake calipers both snapped off; no idea how. Not worried about it.

5. Basebar creaky. Had been happening for a while and couldn't figure it out. All cockpit bolts were torqued down. Ended up being the screws on the front nose cover being a little loose. Tightened those up and problem solved. **It's not always the bolts you'd suspect. Check them all

6. Aerobar's loose. The aerobar risers have always moved a bit more than they probably should. Minimized this by adding some extra washers between the bolts and the bottom of the base bar.

**Disclosure. I got this bike veryyyy early on in their production. As far as I know, it was the first on the East Coast (US). Not completely surprised by some of these things b/c of that. For me, Giant has been great with warranties; so don't hesitate to reach out to them. If you can't get an answer quickly, find your local Giant dealer and they can likely go through the regional rep.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
APKTRI wrote:
5. Basebar creaky. Had been happening for a while and couldn't figure it out. All cockpit bolts were torqued down. Ended up being the screws on the front nose cover being a little loose. Tightened those up and problem solved. **It's not always the bolts you'd suspect. Check them all

6. Aerobar's loose. The aerobar risers have always moved a bit more than they probably should. Minimized this by adding some extra washers between the bolts and the bottom of the base bar.

**Disclosure. I got this bike veryyyy early on in their production. As far as I know, it was the first on the East Coast (US). Not completely surprised by some of these things b/c of that. For me, Giant has been great with warranties; so don't hesitate to reach out to them. If you can't get an answer quickly, find your local Giant dealer and they can likely go through the regional rep.

Thanks for reply.....

5... My base bar gets creaky too. Be sure to check your front bolts often. I've looked down and twice have had a bolt missing.

6. I BROKE my aero bar off from the basebar already. I was riding in aero position, hit a bump on the ride, heard a loud snap. The rear bolt that holds the left aero bar on snapped through the base bar. Unfortunately, a replacement bar is a couple months out, so I had to put a little washer in there to hold the bar in place. It's still a little loose but will do. I may just ride my Propel for this last race (sprint) I'm doing if I can't get my DI2 shifter up and running before then.

**Disclosure....I also got this early in production (January), perhaps one of the first ones on the WEST coast (US). I'm in the same opinion and not surprised about all these things. Warranty has been great. I guess it also helps to know folks that work or have worked at the Giant warranty department here in SoCal. My bike shop is a huge Giant dealer too and they always take care of me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [twirpburrows] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you able to open yours up and have a look? I'm working with Giant/LBS right now one this. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcgong wrote:
Were you able to open yours up and have a look? I'm working with Giant/LBS right now one this. Thanks

I'm going to open mine tonight. I'll post up pics soon after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcgong wrote:
Reviving this thread. After a season of racing, the same issue came up again. I put my bike on the trainer the other day and my left shifter was dead. Opened up the front end last night and found that all my cables going to the rear of the bike were sliced open. It even went through the heat shielding that placed over the cable.

This is actually the 3rd time this year that I have had to address this issue.

1) Is anyone else out there experiencing this?

2) Has the routing changed with the 2017 Bikes?

3) Has anyone thought of a better method to route?

Thanks

Mine looks similar to yours, but the two Di2 wires going into the hole goes in much straighter, towards the back, along the top tube.
It therefore doesn't rub on the bottom edge of that hole.
One has a sleeve on it, and there are little marks, but nothing that appears close to rubbing through.
I only have about 100 (nontrainer) miles on it, so maybe I am just slower at accumulating that eventual fault.

I did put a layer of gorilla tape after seeing your first post about this and sure enough that tape was not pristine today. I put down a fresh layer.
Here's a pic: https://goo.gl/...os/PwJ1LHL6616MrjCCA
Last edited by: dfroelich: Oct 28, 16 18:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for checking this. This helps a lot. We looking at this more today an it seems like the opening is too narrow. My brake cable looks similar to yours. When you turn the HB back and forth, it rubs either on the bottom or top. That caused the split in the brake cable. I undid the DI2 stuff so that there is more slack in the cable so hopefully that will help. You may not see too much with 100 miles (non trainer) on the bike right now. I put on about 2500+ miles so far to get the wire to this point. I also like to stand up and mash it like on a road bike, so maybe that sped up the process too.

The DI2 Cable that is attached to the shifter was sliced, but fortunately I was able to splice the wires back together to get me through my race tomorrow. Thanks again for checking.
Last edited by: mcgong: Oct 28, 16 19:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem.

The brake cables seemed a lot 'farther along' than the wires since they came in the slot at a much more vertical angle. It is not a good design. Perhaps an oval grommet would sit in there tight enough?
Quote Reply

Prev Next