Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Painful bike fit
Quote | Reply
First let me say thanks to anyone that can help out. I have had a few fits over the years with the most recent one being done by a fist certified fitter. However I have been struggling with comfort for around 1 year now and just discovered that my position has been causing my severe shoulder, chest, and lat tightness that becomes chronic at times.

I looked at the photos below and compared them to pro pictures and it looks like to me that my angle from elbow to shoulder is off which would seem to make sense as I must be supporting body weight in large part with those muscles.

Any thoughts, criticisms? I am open to doing another fit but would like to get some feedback before so I can know how to properly interview the fitter.

Thanks again.

Quote Reply
Re: Help with Painful bike fit [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you look good on pad width but you do look a little stretched out and your saddle looks a tad low (I know counter intuitive for ST). I personally would try raising your saddle and sliding it forward if possible. Maybe try raising it a cm and sliding it as forward as it will go. The bike you have is a long and low bike so this may help compensate. I am sure others on here will have some more suggestions as well.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
I looked at the photos below and compared them to pro pictures

Are you doing the same training as a pro?
Do you have a team of physio/masso/sports therapists constantly working on you?
Are you trying to strengthen your muscle weaknesses because of the stresses an aggressive position is putting on you?
Flexibility? Injuries?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle needs to be moved up and forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is your hip and lower extremity flexibility? Hamstring length? Hip flexion ROM? How is your trunk stability? How long can you maintain before your arms and shoulders start to blow up?

All things that should be considered when doing a fit. You can only be as aggressive as your body will allow. Good thing is, those are all things that can be improved upon.

Maybe look for another fitter or go back to the same one and explain what's bothering you. These are things that can be (and should) be addressed during a fit. Bike fit is a dynamic thing. It will change as fitness and mobility/stability changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hard to tell, but i'd say:

1. your saddle looks low. but i'd like to see more.
2. your cockpit is way too long.
3. you're sitting quite rearward.

you can fix 2 and 3 at the same time by moving forward. if you try to do this but the saddle is uncomfortable, then a saddle change will go a long way toward fixing the bike fit issue.

more pictures.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Painful bike fit [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:
you look good on pad width but you do look a little stretched out and your saddle looks a tad low (I know counter intuitive for ST). I personally would try raising your saddle and sliding it forward if possible. Maybe try raising it a cm and sliding it as forward as it will go. The bike you have is a long and low bike so this may help compensate. I am sure others on here will have some more suggestions as well.

+1 on all this.

Is it possible to get a video with the bike level?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Painful bike fit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the advice as I will move the saddle up and forward.

In defense of the fitter they certainly knew my flexibility issues but I just discovered how it was chronically affecting my back and shoulders after not riding for a few weeks.

By front end too long do you mean I need to shorten the extensions or get a shorter stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See Dan's response, 100% spot on. Just because you went to a "fitter" doesn't mean that they are correct.

Way too long and your flexibility is not good.

Make those changes and if you can post a video, let us take a look. Dan, Titanflexer and I are all industry guys so happy to help.

Steven Harad
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Painful bike fit [CEEPO USA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you move the pads back a slight touch if saddle adjustment forward is not an option? Saddle certainly looks low but would need to see it side on with foot at 6 o clock.

https://ascentsportscoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 what Slowman said. You're sitting on this bike like it's a road bike, which is likely compromising comfort and performance.
What saddle are you on? And how many saddles did you try during your fit sessions? And why did you pick this one? -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are sitting mostly rearward, on your sit bones. Sorry, but you dont get that luxury on a tri bike. Pretend there is a bowl of water in your lap and you want to spill it by rotating forward at the hips. Sit on your perineum. This move will literally change the entire fit. It will make your seat even lower though, so definitely be aware of that. Your cockpit will likely be at a much more appropriate distance, so comfort will be improved. Whether the cockpit will be at the perfect after this, we dont know. Whether you are on the best seat to accommodate this, we dont know. But sitting on the bike with proper hip rotation is one of the very first things to learn.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jun 14, 16 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Painful bike fit [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
+1 what Slowman said. You're sitting on this bike like it's a road bike, which is likely compromising comfort and performance.

No fit expert here, but I did have a tendency to sit on my tri bike with my hips rolled back. It put a ton of strain on my upper back. When I learned to roll forward and stop bracing my shoulders and arms, my upper back, neck and lat pain dissipated.
Quote Reply