Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most aero skinsuits
Quote | Reply
Curious, What are the fastest skinsuits out there? Or rather, which brands and models have aero data to back them up? (No, the answer is not "the one that fits you best." This is beside the obvious…) I'm looking to get one in my quest toward aero TT level: Jedi.

Thanks!
Ryon

-----------------------
My Science Blog
"The only fair race is the race against the clock" -Anquetil

Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [Ryon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here's what I've tested, in order of aeroness, IMHO

1. Assos chronosuit - snug w/ thumb holds, zipper does not bunch up, chest tight, go 1 size smaller, well made and durable
2. Castelli body paint - construction looks fragile, zipper area bunched up a little
3. Hincapie signature - used this for the past 2 years, fit well and was durable
4. Voler - went 1 size smaller, fit was ok, not really a super aero solution
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Castelli is awesome but a bit fragile as you noted. The seam just below the zipper has separated on two that I've had. Great fitting suit and super comfy chamois.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trawl through ebay till a nice team issue skinsuit comes up. I have one of the Australian national track team Santini skinsuits but I don't have any numbers to go with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
The Castelli is awesome but a bit fragile as you noted. The seam just below the zipper has separated on two that I've had. Great fitting suit and super comfy chamois.

x2

Fit very nicely and the pad is really really good!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SMART skinsuit is supposed to be amazing, but very very pricey..!

http://www.smartaerotechnology.com/...o-products/clothing/
Last edited by: UKathlete: Aug 16, 12 2:19
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those SMART skinsuits have seams that look a lot like the BMC skinsuits this season... if BMC bought them from SMART they must be good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gtingley wrote:

Here's what I've tested, in order of aeroness, IMHO

1. Assos chronosuit - snug w/ thumb holds, zipper does not bunch up, chest tight, go 1 size smaller, well made and durable
2. Castelli body paint - construction looks fragile, zipper area bunched up a little
3. Hincapie signature - used this for the past 2 years, fit well and was durable
4. Voler - went 1 size smaller, fit was ok, not really a super aero solution

Gary, did you test the CS Speed Suit? if so, where did it fall on your list?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Castelli Bodypaint. I see a couple people saying it's fragile--boy I couldn't disagree more. I was wearing it and hit a section of wet, slick pavement and was promptly upside down sliding across the road (now I can never pretend like my TT bike has never gone down like everyone else on ST when they sell them). I couldn't believe how durable the skinsuit was. Got a little scufffed, but zero tears and sure saved me a ton of skin. Very impressed. Plus it fits like a glove, has a great pad, and just feels FAST
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [codec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not get a chance to test the CS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If not having a Swami logo'd skinsuit counts, you might be able to find a Nike Swift on ebay. They show up now and then.

Otherwise, you're left with the Capo:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bought a castelli san remo speed suit and it's really very good, fit is excellent(you should order one size up as it is very tight) BUT - the pad is totally different than the thin pad in the De Soto Forza i'm used to. for me i had to change my saddle on my road bike as it was bunching up weirdly on my Selle SMP Evo(switched back to the San Marco Ponza on my S1). otherwise, great fit, great wicking/cooling, and looks great( i have the Garmin-Barracuda version). time will tell, but after a couple of multi-hour rides, i'm quite happy.

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [hansonator69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get this about the SMART skinsuits, why just white or black? You can spew all the marketingese you like about "cool black" and all, but no, black is not cool when you're racing in the South and it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity. And all white? Really? Seen that video of the tri babe testing her white suit in the tub? I'm no tri babe. Nobody will enjoy seeing my sights.
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I agree it's a little bit silly. If they were half white/half black like the Assos Chronosuit it would be perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in knowing if anyone makes a skin suit w/o logos and brand names plastered all over it. Or something very minimal at least.....just plain jane.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Oct 31, 12 2:47
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
I don't get this about the SMART skinsuits, why just white or black? You can spew all the marketingese you like about "cool black" and all, but no, black is not cool when you're racing in the South and it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity. And all white? Really? Seen that video of the tri babe testing her white suit in the tub? I'm no tri babe. Nobody will enjoy seeing my sights.

You can get a smart suit in whatever colour or design you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.smartaerotechnology.com/...o-products/clothing/

According to this page on their website, you can get any color you like as long as it's black or white ... or you pay a huge upcharge for a setup fee and meet minimums, etc. Where are you getting that they're available in other colors?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bioracer has officially the fastest clothing in the world.
They made the suits of Cancellara, Wiggins, Martin, Kiryienka and many others.
I have seen differences of 20 watts compared to a bodypaint suit.
Even a lot more to all other brands. Only Castelli is able to keep up somewhat.
i have not seen tests compared to the the smart suit.

The special Nike suit was in an other test 0.5 sec per km slower.
Castelli was there 1 sec. per km slower but in a third test we have seen that going up to 1.5 sec per km.

It depends on the rider and setup but 99% of the time Bioracer suits come out as the winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [56-11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
56-11 wrote:

Castelli was there 1 sec. per km slower but in a third test we have seen that going up to 1.5 sec per km.

It depends on the rider and setup but 99% of the time Bioracer suits come out as the winner.

Since you don't post much, you do know your replying to a 4 year old thread correct?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since it's back to the top wouldn't mind seeing a bioracer's actual #'s. And if we're wishing... vs. a Castelli vs. a SMART suit vs. A new Aerocoach Trip Suit

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
56-11 wrote:

Thanks for the info! Can you link us to the data?

-----------------------
My Science Blog
"The only fair race is the race against the clock" -Anquetil

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it was a 4 year old tread but it is a subject that stays alive with many people.
I can't share the data in detail because it's from athletes that went testing at A2 / Faster / Cycologic and many other windtunnels.
They don't want their personal data on the the internet. I ask every time when i speak to one :)

But if you ask any athlete that used a Bioracer suit he will be happy to share their experience.
Why would otherwise all the pro's ride in them the last 4 years, even if they were not sponsored by them.

So for now i just wanted to share my experience with the forum for people that had questions about skin suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do people use skinsuits for triathlon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/best-skinsuits-for-cycling-360975

the answers are at the link above - only decent suit missing from this testing was the Nopinz suit

Bioracer is the way to go - highly recomended
Quote Reply
Re: Most aero skinsuits [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Do people use skinsuits for triathlon?
No

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next