Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Single ring setup - what do YOU run?
Quote | Reply
Single ring up front, some hilly courses, what do YOU run?

I'm thinking of going 52 teeth at the front with an 11-28 at the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a 50 with 11-28 cassettes. Would probably have gone with 52 but SRAM doesn't make the x sync in 52 for 110 bcd. Raced one week with 11-25 and liked it but new cassette is 11-28. Wanted to make sure I had those extra gears if it got super windy around me.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mind me asking what level you are?
I'm relatively strong, FTP upwards of 350, so I reckon I might be able to get away with a 52, even on a hilly course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than bragging rights, why run a 52? A 50-11T will get you > 40 mph @ 115 cadence. It gets you 32 mph @ a cadence of 90.

For reference I crit race with a 50T up front and a 11-28 out back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 52 x-sync ring and an 11-32 most of the time. I can get up just about anything as long as it's not at a leisurely pace. For crit racing I will swap the cassette to something with a tighter cluster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
285ish FTP at 160 pounds or so. So not crazy high but not super low either. I will also say that my only negative thought about the 1x is if I wanted to use an 11-32 cassette (but many use it very well so I might be wrong!) I like a tight cassette without big jumps so going with a 50 might allow you to stay with an 11-25 so you don't have jumps. But I didn't notice anything different really between 11-25 to 11-28.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why you would brag about a 52??

On flat sections I'm normally in the 54/15 range, so going any lower than 52 would mean significant cross into the lowest sprockets which damages drive chain efficiency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ftp is around 320 and I'm running a 52 13-25. I get up hills no problem. I have the wolf narrow wide which seems quieter than the sram xsync. Havent ever thrown the chain (11spd). 52x25 is virtually the same as the old 42x21 alot of us used racing in the 80s/90s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure either, but I can't come up with many reasons to run bigger than a 50 either.

Any data on cross chain efficiency on using the middle gears vs. using some of the gears at the lower end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Other than bragging rights, why run a 52? A 50-11T will get you > 40 mph @ 115 cadence. It gets you 32 mph @ a cadence of 90.

For reference I crit race with a 50T up front and a 11-28 out back.
This is just me... but I'm more of a grinder and the small 1.5mph or so at 90 is a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently I have the lowest w/Kg on ST and I run a 44x11-32. You can go fast in 44/11.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about 170lb, 330FTP and I'm using a 46T and 11-28. I was just at American Triple T and I couldn't imagine running more than 46T up front. I'd spin out on some of the downhills, but I needed every one of those teeth going up. I'll likely use a similar setup for Tremblant 70.3 in a couple weeks.

I'm surprised how many people are using 50T+ on their 1x setups, unless they're on flat-ish terrain. I'm racing Maryland later in the year and I'll switch to a 50T and 11-25 for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I unintentionally tested 2 gear ratio ranges on the IMWI loop this weekend. My front der. cable broke. So I tried both the 53T and 39T. I DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT recommend a 53T when you have a 11-25 cassette. I managed, and still rode under 2 hours, but it wasn't pretty on 5 or 6 of the steeper hills. On the steepest climb, I nearly stalled out and found that 200W was all I could manage because I was down to something like 30 RPM, pushing as hard as I felt safe to do so without breaking something.

Using a 39/11 actually wasn't too bad. I spun out around 30-32mph, but was really a non-issue most of the time.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Using a 39/11 actually wasn't too bad. I spun out around 30-32mph, but was really a non-issue most of the time.

I was living in SF training for Escape From Alcatraz a few years ago and my front derailleur cable broke. Accidentally discovered that 39/11-28 is a pretty damn useful setup. The bike I commute on in the city now is 42/11-28. Works great.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hilly in Bloomington Indiana so I've equipped my Titanflex Tri bike and Giant TCX Cyclocross bike with identical 10 speed setups... I have a 44T Wolf Tooth Wide Narrow upfront with a SRAM XX 11x36 (11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32,36) Mountain Bike Cassette in the back. SRAM XX MTB Rear Derailluer too. 44x36 gives me the same climbing ratio as a compact road bike setup but at the expense of some top end.
Generally the downhills in the area are 45mph coasting so no need to add power downhill...
For reference 700c wheel:
52/11 gearing @ 110 cadence = 40.40 mph
52/11 gearing @ 100 cadence = 36.73 mph
46/11 gearing @ 110 cadence = 35.72 mph (I don't spend much time pedaling faster than this, but I do spend alot of time climbing)
46/11 gearing @ 100 cadence = 32.48 mph
44/11 gearing @ 110 cadence = 34.17 mph
44/11 gearing @ 100 cadence = 31.07 mph (I think a 46T would be just about right as sometimes but rarely the 44T chainring is too slow)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Do you mind me asking what level you are?
I'm relatively strong, FTP upwards of 350, so I reckon I might be able to get away with a 52, even on a hilly course

What is your weight??? I would highly suggest something bigger than a 28. FWIW, collins rides a 36, Rapp only rides 30 but has alluded to using a 32 in the future, granted these guys also have 54t upfront. I myself use a 32, last week at Chattanooga I could have used an extra gear for one short section, in the 54-32 I held 415w for those 75 seconds.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around 71kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Around 71kg

I personally wouldn't recommend the 28 route, it is one of those things, it is all hunky-dory until it is not. I think you would be safer with a 30 or 32. If you are concerned with aero of a larger cassette that is one thing that I can't help with, but if weight is an issue the SRAM XG-1190 Cassette in 11-32 is still sub 200 grams.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The logic of all this is not about aero so I don't mind the big cassette.
Which rear mech do you run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my road bike I run a 44t chain ring with a 10 speed 11/28 cassette. I live around DC where we don't have mountains (at least not west coast mountains) but a lot of short, punchy hills. Even though it's a bit of a grind sometimes, 44x28 usually works quite well. I've been on several fast group rides and have had no problems hanging on the flats or slight downhills with 44x11.

On my TT bike, I just installed a 50t chainring and a 11-speed 11/32 cassette. This gives me the same low end as the 44x28 with the high end of 50x11. I almost never need more than 50x11 - if I'm spinning that out I should probably just tuck and coast.

I've done a couple races with this setup and love it. I'm planning on racing IMLP with the 50t-11/32, though I'm slightly tempted to go with the 11/36 just to have the extra bailout gear. I use Wolf Tooth chainrings on 130 or 110 bcd cranks.

FWIW, I'm 142 lbs (64.4 kgs), 5'10", FTP of 270w and a FTP w/kg of 4.2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 52 with a 11-26 rear. Would have gone with a 50 if I didn't have a 130, but I do ok with the rollers in eastern PA. If I have to go to a 28 or higher I will, but I don't like the large spacing.
Only do short course - which helps as in addition to less distance the courses tend to be beginner friendly
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [GTOscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GTOscott wrote:
It's hilly in Bloomington Indiana so I've equipped my Titanflex Tri bike and Giant TCX Cyclocross bike with identical 10 speed setups... I have a 44T Wolf Tooth Wide Narrow upfront with a SRAM XX 11x36 (11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32,36) Mountain Bike Cassette in the back. SRAM XX MTB Rear Derailluer too. 44x36 gives me the same climbing ratio as a compact road bike setup but at the expense of some top end.
Generally the downhills in the area are 45mph coasting so no need to add power downhill...
For reference 700c wheel:
52/11 gearing @ 110 cadence = 40.40 mph
52/11 gearing @ 100 cadence = 36.73 mph
46/11 gearing @ 110 cadence = 35.72 mph (I don't spend much time pedaling faster than this, but I do spend alot of time climbing)
46/11 gearing @ 100 cadence = 32.48 mph
44/11 gearing @ 110 cadence = 34.17 mph
44/11 gearing @ 100 cadence = 31.07 mph (I think a 46T would be just about right as sometimes but rarely the 44T chainring is too slow)

Have you had the chain drop often? Just curious.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Single ring setup - what do YOU run? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 [/quote wrote:

Have you had the chain drop often? Just curious.

No chain drops on either of my bikes with this setup at hundreds of miles and I'm not using a type 2 clutched rear derailluer. The wide tooth chainring is enough for street usage to never drop a chain in my experience. My cyclocross bike even sees rough/rooty singletrack duty in the "Gravel Grovel" race each fall and it's never dropped the chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I have a 10 speed sram setup, what would be a good rear mech to run a 32 on?
Quote Reply

Prev Next