Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AlaskaMan 140.6
Quote | Reply
Hate the name but just saw this

http://www.active.com/...treme-triathlon-2017

Since so many said they wanted an Ironman Alaska this should fill fast, oh wait its not Mdot

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it wetsuit legal?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome. Thanks for the heads up.
You could warm up with Mount Marathon 11 days before. That would be a great double for an Alaskan Vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that would be a brutal double, epic though

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that by the same folks that do Norseman?
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know nothing about the event or who is putting it on, just saw this and thought some might be interested

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like it

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get 18 hours to finish, so it's not a real Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Is it wetsuit legal?
Is that in pink? :) Water temps would be in the mid 50s. Pacific ocean in the summer is barely at mid 60s 1500 miles south in Seattle area.

Full wetsuit, neoprene caps, and booties if they are allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone from Texas...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The production company, OnUrMark, is top notch. They produce some of the best races in Houston and the guy at the helm is a good cat.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised they would put it out there without any fanfare on allxtri.com, but they also don't seem to be corporate heavy...

From Allxtri - "three events together are the allXtri Trilogy and support each other in friendship." - not sure what that means in corporate speak...
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
Is it wetsuit legal?

Is that in pink? :) Water temps would be in the mid 50s. Pacific ocean in the summer is barely at mid 60s 1500 miles south in Seattle area.

Full wetsuit, neoprene caps, and booties if they are allowed.

From the rules:

• Full wetsuits are mandatory as the swim course water temperature averages about 55°F/13°C in July. Neoprene swim caps, swim booties, earplugs, and Vasoline for your face and hands are highly recommended while in the water. Full swim hoods to protect your neck and head are also permitted. Swim gloves are not permitted at any time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very relevant to my interests. Hopefully this runs for a few years and I can get in shape to do this "race". I would be happy with finishing in last place.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
looks like it

Doesn't look like it at all. It's more like a starter race due to the legit run course. Total elevation gain for the bike/run legs is not even half that of Swissman. And a pile of WTC Ironman races have more bike elevation... many substantially more. But the scenery is certainly spectacular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I don't do fulls!!

Funny thing about this for me: it would cost me basically the same to travel instate to do this race, as it would for me to participate in one outside...in warmer water...and warmer air...and warmer...

Although the, if it was a half...I'd do it for shits and giggles...but fuck that full nonsense!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The name is what it is because out of respect for the gracious state and those coming in internationally we named it after Alaska. Instantly everyone knows where it's at. Eliminates some questions and people having to look it up.

Wetsuits are mandatory. Temp hovers around 55 degrees most years but has dipped to low 50's in the past.

Bike course has less climbing than a handful of IMs and the extreme tris but 1) there aren't a lot of options in Alaska and 2) the winds and weather will more than make up for it. 3) scenery is unmatched.

Run course is far more challenging than IM. 5,000' with 4,000 in the last 10k up a mountain (dirt/Rock trails).

Nothing but respect for Norseman and X-Tri. I've done Norseman and am doing Celtman this year with Swissman to follow. They are all top notch. Looking to bring some of that challenge to The US.

Addressing the guy talking about temps... The other extreme tris say the same temp averages as us.... Keep in mind that's average. We are same latitude as Norseman and weather rolls in the same. Clouds, drizzle, cold temps and wind just as possible as Scotland and Norway. It has even been known to snow in July. Since it's unpredictable and first year, we put the averages.

Thanks everyone, let me know if you have any other questions.
Last edited by: arpalaian: May 16, 16 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also I'm not sure where you're traveling from but what my wife and I spent to go to Norway and what we have already spent to go to Scotland is already double what Alaska costs, at least from within the US. Totally worth the trip to Europe but Alaska is definately much cheaper. Especially on food and rental cars.
Last edited by: arpalaian: May 16, 16 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [arpalaian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong. I would have named it Alaska Extreme Triathlon, adding Man to the end is just cliché at this point, but that's just me. I'm old and grumpy

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha fair enough but keep in mind if someone was talking about it it doesn't make a lot of sense when someone says "I did Alaska" unless they say it all. They can say "I did Alaskaman" and leave the other words out. Although.... That just sounds dirty now that I say it. 😳😂
Last edited by: arpalaian: May 16, 16 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or if someone googles alaskaman the first thing that comes up is match.com and the second is a site (alaskamen.com) for Alaskan men looking for brides

no disrespect I think the event looks awesome it's just a peeve of mine as so many tris just drop -man on the end instead of being creative

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is great.
The goal with this types of triathlon should be to give the athletes a unique experience in fabulous nature.

Glad to see something like this in the USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arpalaian wrote:
Bike course has less climbing than a handful of IMs and the extreme tris but 1) there aren't a lot of options in Alaska and 2) the winds and weather will more than make up for it. 3) scenery is unmatched.

It would be AWESOME if the Turnagain Arm winds crank up on race day and have racers either going 30 or 10 at IM effort! Most miserable rides I've ever had ended coming back from Turnagain Pass to ANC!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting that the active.com link shows that AlaskaMan is trademarked, but a data search of trademarks shows it's not. But AlaskaMen is, it's a magazine that highlights Alaskan Men.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI trademarks take 1-2 years to go through AND a TM is basically a placeholder until then and becomes a R when it's officially registered. What you speak of isn't correct and the magazine is not triathlon or even close to the same business so odds are it will not be taken into an account when the trademark is under review. Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next