Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Battle of the frames: Felt IA 10 vs IA 1? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. that's what I'm intending to do or find another aero bar. Nothing wrong with the bars. It's mainly for aesthetic purposes. I'll have to see if my LBS can get me just the frame since I've enough parts here to build it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Battle of the frames: Felt IA 10 vs IA 1? [Striker213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the IA 10 allow for an alternative stem or is it a proprietary fit? It is unclear to me on their website?

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Battle of the frames: Felt IA 10 vs IA 1? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Does the IA 10 allow for an alternative stem or is it a proprietary fit? It is unclear to me on their website?
There is a fair amount of commentary about this in various reviews and owners. The quick answer is yes, you can put another stem on it. But, it may not look as good. Tririg did a build with the Alpha X bars and stem, and it looks beautiful.

However, the other part of the answer added by the fitters and reviewers is "you probably will not need to change the stem." The bars give you more than enough flexibility to fit most situations. The base bar is curved downward (out of the box), so you can flip it if you want a higher hand position on the base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was speaking to frameset that doesn't come with bars right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Same difference. You can swap the stem if you want to. It is a standard stem. The only limitation is that the fork is cut, so you cannot raise it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I have a Alpha x that I would like to use if I buy the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
ktm520 wrote:

Same difference. You can swap the stem if you want to. It is a standard stem. The only limitation is that the fork is cut, so you cannot raise it.

The frameset is supposed to come with a longer steerer tube.

The stem on the built bike can be swapped out, but the stock stem has a low clamp height so many stems may not work so well using the precut steerer tube. The Tri rig stem is one that has been shown to work fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Battle of the frames: Felt IA 10 vs IA 1? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the debate for me is between a new P2 with 105 (take-off and sell) for $2800 or the Felt IA 10 frameset for $2500. Financially a wash or slightly in favor of P2 (with proceeds of take-offs). Aero with same build of tririg would likely also be a wash.

If Felt indeed is moving forward with some addl accessories e.g. draft box it would sway me (long course). Extra bosses with no tangible value seems like it will live on with Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
So the debate for me is between a new P2 with 105 (take-off and sell) for $2800 or the Felt IA 10 frameset for $2500. Financially a wash or slightly in favor of P2 (with proceeds of take-offs). Aero with same build of tririg would likely also be a wash.

So, why is the P2 rated so highly to you? It is aging legacy from an aero point of view. The current generation of bikes all smoke it. The IA competes with the P5 at a price close to the P2. Sure, Tririg got a P2 to exceed a P5 with almost $8K of upgrades to the P2 (Dash wheels, Dash seatpost, Dash Seat, Alpha X, and Omega X). But the upgrades it took to get there are multiples of the new bike price. Their aerodynamic study is pretty cool, but I am amazed that no one thought to comment that their Frankenstein P2 cost more than the P5 they were competing against.

Get an IA, and it is on par with a P5 out of the box. Or get a Shiv. Or get an Orbea. Or get an Argon. Or get a Shiv. Or get a Trek. All have P5 competitors at a P2 price.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 5, 16 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am considering the updated changes in '14 to the P2 that brings it back into the discussion. I think we would be splitting hairs on the comparison with same components, unless Jim chimes in:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim: "I'm not sure why anyone would choose anything other than an IAx series frame to be honest." (Granted, it was not in the context of P2 vs IAx.)

Tririg did their P2 vs. P5 with the current generation P2. The Cervelo P2 was my top choice going in to my bike purchase. But I could not find anything published that puts it in the top tier of bikes. It is always measured against bikes like the Felt B, lower end QR, Orbea Ordu, etc. The world leapfrogged the P2 since 2014; I would not be surprised if Cervelo introduces lower-end versions of their P5 design to compete.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 5, 16 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Battle of the frames: Felt IA 10 vs IA 1? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
The frameset is supposed to come with a longer steerer tube.

*Supposed* to, but doesn't; my IA10 frameset came with the steerer cut and stock stem installed. Aside from the TriRig bars and their vapor-ware SigmaX, the other stems that will fit are the Syntace Flatforce and Felt Dagger Stem (both rather heavy). I have a feeling the BLK-TEC M3 stem might fit too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim fit me to my IA10. After my pre-fit my main choices were the IA, and the speed concept. The P2 was another option but probably would have needed a lower stem. Jim's top recommendarions for me were the Trek and the Felt.

Picking the IA was an easy choice for me. I got a bike that's near super bike in performance at a more reasonable price point.

I'm probably a little biased because I am a happy IA owner. The P2 is a fine bike as well.

Get what fits best. If they both are good fits get the bike that you like more. If it gets you out riding more that's a good thing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next