Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Tracx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
I have my KICKR working perfectly in combination with my SRM/Perf Pro.

My intervals are DEAD ON compared to my SRM... maybe 1 watt off after a 10-20 minute interval.

I WOULD not dare re-calibrate anything now :)

As far as the TACX... it looks cool... but I'm happy with what I have now that it's finally working.

After reading what you said about bugs in the TACX... I am even happier with my decision.

Did you get your Kickr working with it's own power reading/load or do you mean using the SRM to control the load per that setting in Perf Pro?

PP is controlling the KICKR via SRM.

PP has an option to show the KICKR watts vs ACTUAL SRM WATTS. The difference is generally +/- 5%...

With SRM controlling it... the intervals are exactly in agreement with my SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tracx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
So from the reviews so far of Tacx's new very expensive trainer:
1. Already a software bug to deal with (and if you believe tacx will fix within a few days............)
2. Feels like the rear gears/wheel (no actual wheel obviously) is slipping during hard efforts.
etc

Just as I wanted to sum it up... it isn't really a surprise with Tacx that potential issues start popping up right there :)

Number one might be fixed by Tacx in an unknown future (and actually might not be significant if you're not plugging it in), but number two is potentially much more troublesome if there is something more technical behind it. I'm going to keep my eyes on further reports on this "feature" to see if this somehow impacts the wattage you can run the trainer on.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tracx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it looks to me that wahoo got an "apple halo" - ie. if something is wrong it is either user error (like you shd not hold your phone this way) or in general user has to live with it (maps anyone?) ...

lets wait for more reviews of tacx - not base everything on n=1 statement (some kickr owners actually reported good power readings).
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [scrappy_dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What we really need is a trainer that is the Neo Smart but not made by Tacx (notorious for lack of customer service).

Basically, the dream is:

1. As robust as a Computrainer (or Velotron) which are built like tanks, but without all the damn wires (disclaimer: I have a computrainer...). I heard about Computrainer coming out soon with a wireless head controller, but, on to point two:

2. Does not require a wheel and [trainer] tire just like Kickr and Neo Smart

3. Excellent support and customer service (I think Computrainer has good support; dunno about excellent. I forgot what I heard about Wahoo. And I want to forget what I've heard about Tacx)

4. Does not require calibration like the Neo Smart [edit: meaning... like the Neo Smart that doesn't need calibration; I hate that I have to calibrate the Computrainer before every ride. I heard that you should do the same with the Kickr, like a roll down or something)

5. Quiet like the Neo Smart

------------

So far, I like everything about the Neo Smart; but with all the customer complaints I have read throughout the years regarding Tacx, and how slow they are addressing bug reports and firmware/software issues... that's really the only thing holding me back.
Last edited by: Alfalfameister: Oct 9, 15 4:13
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amen
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Felt_Rider [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Oct 9, 15 6:01
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [JackBauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackBauer wrote:
va1210 wrote:

- My first ride was on the Zwift Richmond course, really hammering away on the hill sections, and afterwards my wife complained to me that she could hear the trainer resonating downstairs. This was a real disappointment, as the main reason for buying the Neo was its lack of noise. However, when I was riding in normal trainer mode the next few times (0 gradient) at steady 200ish watts she told me she couldn't hear a thing downstairs. So perhaps the tough hill sections (=high wattage) caused some additional structural vibration, who knows. I did, however, add extra rubber feet under the trainer after my first ride, so those might have made the difference. I still intend to do additional sound testing later.

I know it has only been a few days but wondering if you have any further insight...

I live on a second floor flat, and the quietness of the Neo is one of the things that is very attractive to me.

Unfortunately I've been really busy the last week, so haven't been able to get int as many trainer workouts as I would have hoped. But I would have to say that my impression of the trainer seems to be getting more positive after each workout, and I can't really see myself going back to a regular trainer anymore. While I do think the whole "5 db" and "completely silent" marketing speak is over the top, I honestly can't imagine there being any trainer out there that is actually more silent than the Neo. So if excessive sound/vibration is a major concern, I don't think there is really anything better out there.

While my wife was able to hear my sprints down stairs, I think it is important to note that she only heard the sprints, not the whole workout. This in itself is a great improvement over my previous trainer, which was heard downstairs at all intensities. And seeing as how I'll be doing base workouts for the majority of the winter, I think the Neo has more or less resolved my noise issues.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [va1210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
va1210 wrote:
While my wife was able to hear my sprints down stairs, I think it is important to note that she only heard the sprints, not the whole workout. This in itself is a great improvement over my previous trainer, which was heard downstairs at all intensities. And seeing as how I'll be doing base workouts for the majority of the winter, I think the Neo has more or less resolved my noise issues.

Thank you!

Can you talk a little about your house construction and the overall flooring situation?

(To be honest you've quelled my concerns pretty much completely - I'm just curious why there's any sound at all "leaking" downstairs)

Is it new construction (tending to use thinner materials than houses built 40 years go for subflooring, etc...)?

Do you have carpeting under it?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackBauer wrote:
Thank you!

Can you talk a little about your house construction and the overall flooring situation?

(To be honest you've quelled my concerns pretty much completely - I'm just curious why there's any sound at all "leaking" downstairs)

Is it new construction (tending to use thinner materials than houses built 40 years go for subflooring, etc...)?

Do you have carpeting under it?

Thanks again!

Ok, some basics: we live in an area with really cold winters, so the house is constructed out of pretty solid materials (brick walls, concrete etc) and well insulated. the room with the trainer is on the second floor, and the trainer is situated right next to the wall alongside a window, directly underneath which there is a pretty large living room. The ceiling/floor is concrete with a hollow core (hollow core slab I believe is the correct term). On the second floor we have parquet flooring, so no carpeting, but I have put small rubber feet under the Neo and a thin yoga mat just to avoid sweat damage. My wife's "noise testing" was done so that she was sitting pretty much below the trainer, watching TV at pretty low volume.

Oh, and an important caveat: my wife is much more picky than me, and can e.g. see dust and dirt where I can't see anything. So I'm actually not entirely convinced that the Neo actually makes any significant noise, she might just be blowing this whole thing out of proportion :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
va1210 wrote:
The ceiling/floor is concrete with a hollow core (hollow core slab I believe is the correct term). On the second floor we have parquet flooring, so no carpeting, but I have put small rubber feet under the Neo and a thin yoga mat just to avoid sweat damage. My wife's "noise testing" was done so that she was sitting pretty much below the trainer, watching TV at pretty low volume.

Ok - I'm guessing the hollow core slab transmits more sound than a traditional floor (in this case with plaster / lathe ceiling, floor joists, subfloor, flooring, padding, and top carpet).

Not to mention the mat I plan to put down to protect the carpet from grease.

In the end this trainer is the quietest there is apparently - and for me that alone would be worth a price premium. But the overall direct drive and flexibility you get by it being electromagnetic resistance... That's the holy grail.

The only problem is there are numerous reports of potential mechanical part defects inside the device. Looks like I play a waiting game until there is clarity on that aspect.

Regardless your posts have helped me, and I'm sure others out there...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackBauer wrote:
The only problem is there are numerous reports of potential mechanical part defects inside the device.
There are? Where would these reports be found?
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some comments on DC Rainmaker's review (from users, not DCR).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers.

From my reading I have heard of 1 possible defect with the Neo, that being a clearance issue inside the drum, causing some noise, possibly due to metal filings on the magnets bridging the gap to the coils. With regards to the clearance issue someone else has mentioned, I believe this is more likely due to a bent or misaligned derailleur cage. Finally the stuttering, this sounds like a possible problem at low trainer revolutions (I don't say cadence because I imagine in say 53-11 @ 50rpm the trainer would be spinning quite fast). I guess this would most likely show up going slowly up steep climbs, perhaps slower than might be expected for a cyclist prepared to fork out big $ on a premium trainer?

Those are my theories. I have ordered a Neo, and expect it will be just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well there is another more dangerous one - which is the noise made by trainer itself that two guys commented on on DCRs site and tacx told them to ship it back
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we are talking about the same thing. Although the descriptions on Rays site do sound different to the one I read somewhere else (unable to locate source atm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one on order here in Canada.. I was in touch with the importer and it was supposed to ship to my LBS last week, but it never arrived.. I sent him an email and jokingly asked if the boat carrying them over decided to drop the anchor in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.... my reply back was "They have been delayed a bit, I will keep you posted on when it leaves for your shop"

Seems something got recalled because 2 weeks ago when I spoke with them I was more or less told the first batch was arriving and mine was in there....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
va1210 wrote:
I got the Neo last week and have gotten in a few short rides on it. ...Make sure you have a chain-whip and a Campagnolo cassette nut handy. Link

Why do you need Campy?
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
va1210 wrote:
I got the Neo last week and have gotten in a few short rides on it. ...Make sure you have a chain-whip and a Campagnolo cassette nut handy. Link

Why do you need Campy?
Because you have to use the EDCO multisys locknuts, and they are Campy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this on another another discussion.
I currently have a lemond trainer.
Smooth as butter. But super loud!!!

Does any know which of the two (Neo or Kickr) comes close to the smoothness of the Lemond trainer.

this is review from Titanium Geek.

his preview of Neo
http://www.titaniumgeek.com/...ws/tacx-neo-preview/

his comparison with Kickr. there is a nice video comparing the noise level and the Neo lateral movement
http://www.titaniumgeek.com/...-neo-vs-wahoo-kickr/

his long term review
http://www.titaniumgeek.com/...-term-review-update/
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [irvine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having ridden both the Neo and the Kicker , I prefer the NEO it is smother and more quite than the Kicker. The kicker has a whining or whirring sound , which I assume is the belt but is very smooth.
In the end I prefer the Neo it was easy to set up. I was riding on the tacx iPad app in France in the mountains in a few minutes of easy set up. I am looking forward to getting into ZWIFT with the Neo I dont anticipate a problem and it should be seemless. others have commented on the down hills being very realistic and instant power on the brake for hills.
since these are back ordered every where right now, I thought I would included this link because
Neos are in stock here now
http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/tran6060/
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [solidasarock7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solidasarock7 wrote:
Having ridden both the Neo and the Kicker , I prefer the NEO it is smother and more quite than the Kicker. The kicker has a whining or whirring sound , which I assume is the belt but is very smooth.
In the end I prefer the Neo it was easy to set up. I was riding on the tacx iPad app in France in the mountains in a few minutes of easy set up. I am looking forward to getting into ZWIFT with the Neo I dont anticipate a problem and it should be seemless. others have commented on the down hills being very realistic and instant power on the brake for hills.
since these are back ordered every where right now, I thought I would included this link because
Neos are in stock here now
http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/tran6060/

Good to hear you are happy with it...

Have you had a chance to check the accuracy of the power readings compared to an external power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: New Tacx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually no I havent simply because I was using a Powertap hub and now the rear wheel isnt on the bike. but it seems pretty accurate . I may get some P1s and Ill let you know
btw
btw there is still an active coupon on NEOs till the end of the week see link
http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/tacx-neo-smart-interactive-trainer-use-code-holiday25/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a couple of Neo Smarts the other day from Probikekit. Looking forward to riding the Zoncolan. I wonder if the Smart is smart enough to know that I've unclipped and am walking up it.

http://www.probikekit.com/turbo-trainers-bicycle-rollers/tacx-neo-smart-trainer/11166730.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
solidasarock7 wrote:
Actually no I havent simply because I was using a Powertap hub and now the rear wheel isnt on the bike. but it seems pretty accurate . I may get some P1s and Ill let you know
btw
btw there is still an active coupon on NEOs till the end of the week see link
http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/tacx-neo-smart-interactive-trainer-use-code-holiday25/

I hope this is out here next year. I'm not able to pull the trigger this year but am hoping that I can be riding the neo next winter.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tracx Neo Smart vs Wahoo Kickr trainers [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I'e had a KICKR since it was first released in early-2013. I love the thing... as much as you can love a trainer. I plan on buying the Tacx Neo Smart though and giving it a try.

Looks like you have both. I am close to pulling trigger. Can you give a quick comparison? Which would you recommend if buying one, but price difference is not an issue. I like the noise issue, but also that it can be used without electrical power. If it is unplugger, can it still work in erg mode?

FWIW - I currently use trainer road on a CompuTrainer almost exclusively in erg mode.
Quote Reply

Prev Next