Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition
Quote | Reply
Happy American Thanksgiving - for those of you celebrating, what will you do?
How was your past week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 23, 15 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week:
continue to work on varying run distances and easy/hard days I am getting better at this
day off from running yup! Saturday off completely
swim 5x check
bike 2x nope

I went camping with a friend this weekend - we went to the Mckenzie River hot spring in Oregon. Only the top 3 inches or so of the water was hot, which was a little disappointing, but we had a nice weekend anyway. I had a fair amount of anxiety being out of my routine but it was good to see my friend and get outdoors a bit.

I had 2 pretty good run speed workouts. It was rainy all week so I didn't bike.

I am excited to just hang out in my apartment for Thanksgiving weekend. I'm pretty introverted and am looking forward to peace and quiet.

ohhh totals
s: 5x = 8150 yds
b: 0
r: 6x = 50.8 mi

goals for this week:
bike at least twice
swim 4x
day off from running
keep working on varying the run speed and distance

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 3 week emergency medical responder course is done! I came top of the class (never happened before) but boy am I glad that it's over. I was so drained mentally that I couldn't muster up much enthusiasm to exercise; eventually found a few short but intense kettlebell workouts that I could do just to get the blood flowing. Tigerchik - your hibernation weekend sounds amazing. I usually spend most of my day alone so three weeks with 25-30 people constantly around has been somewhat trying...

In Vancouver this week as the other half has a conference. At the moment the dinner reservations outweigh actual plans to workout but I'll probably try and get a few sea wall runs in and I'm planning to meet a friend at the aquatic centre yay long course.

Last year I had an indoor rock climbing intro session as "something different" when we were in Vancouver so wondering what I could try this year. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Thanksgiving Week, American Womens (and all other Womens who would like to be thankful with us)!! I am a totally antisocial holiday person, so my fiance and I will spend Thursday cooking, eating, and arguing about what to watch on telly. One of the stepkids is supposed to be coming down maybe Friday and staying the night, and then we have a clarinet quartet rehearsal and potluck on Sunday. It should be a nice break from work.

I know it's really pathetic compared to all you active people, but I am so proud of myself for having a week in which I swum AND biked AND ran without there being an actual triathlon involved. Nothing spectacular distance-wise (~15 miles on the bike, 600m swim and 2.5 mile run), but a huge victory in the "getting off your duff and actually doing it" category.

Confession of the week... It was all entirely motivated by external forces. Somebody implied I was fat and lazy which led to an irritated trainer ride, and then I made the mistake of standing on the scale which led to a bunch of whining followed by getting my fat, lazy butt to the Y. I was hoping to get the CX bike out on the trail but Sunday ended up colder and damper than expected, which is a guarantee for sickness in my case.

This was all made possible by the fact that my accelerated term finished on Tuesday, for which I am eternally grateful to have gotten out with an A and a B. I should have gotten an A in both, but given that the B was the professor who got his knickers in a twist about my Non-American-English-English, I'll take it and be thankful. I'm signed up for two courses starting on 11/30 for the next term, and I'm contemplating whether or not to drop one and just take three credits. I would like some time back, and things at work are getting more stressful as we get closer to integrating with the company that bought us out. I haven't decided.

Plan for this week is to get to the Y tonight and Wednesday for another run/swim session, and maybe on Friday depending on what happens with the whole step-family thing. I am hoping to be able to ride outside at least once over the long weekend, which is miraculous for Maine in November. I'm also hoping over Thanksgiving to start putting some tangible framework around a training plan for next year - in a fit of pique (or insanity, depending on who you ask) I signed up for Barrelman 70.3 in September, so I really do have to use the winter to make real fitness and speed gains.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richmond oval speed skating??
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Somebody implied I was fat and lazy which led to an irritated trainer ride,

People are terrible. I'm so sorry you were treated badly. Way to channel it into something positive though :-) and congrats on the good grades.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I came top of the class (never happened before)

NICE!
All the womens are so smart in addition to being sporty.

"hibernating" is a good word for it, yes!
Vancouver Canada or Vancouver WA?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week - met goals. 5x bike, 2x strength/core, 2x swim yay!
Hoping for the same this week.
I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner. So therefore, the only very unhealthy item will be the stuffing. Husband wanted to try a new one, so we are doing a corn bread chestnut stuffing.
I am really looking forward to apple pie. It's my favorite. I found the "eating well" recipe to be delish with regards to the filling. I then experimented with a healthier crust - I found a recipe to replicate crunchy oatmeal bars and it's a super yummy crust. Then an oat-nut crunch topping. Pretty excited.
Baking a turkey. We are having my husband's mother over and she only likes the white meat. Husband and I like the dark meat. My favorite year was the year we were solo and cooked up drumsticks and ate them 'viking style'

Saw my massage guy last Wed., right hamstring improved... seeing him again this Wed.

Silly costume CX race on Saturday. My absolute favorite one of the entire year.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner. So therefore, the only very unhealthy item will be the stuffing. Husband wanted to try a new one, so we are doing a corn bread chestnut stuffing.
I am really looking forward to apple pie. It's my favorite. I found the "eating well" recipe to be delish with regards to the filling. I then experimented with a healthier crust - I found a recipe to replicate crunchy oatmeal bars and it's a super yummy crust. Then an oat-nut crunch topping. Pretty excited.

You wouldn't mind if I just dropped by, right?! That all sounds fantastically delicious.

Tiger, I appreciate that. If I am honest... I am both fat and, in terms of real exercise at least, somewhat lazy. Which is why it stung, because I know there's a reasonable grain of truth there. I'm a lot less upset about it this week than I was last; I suspect because I've gotten over the butthurt factor. (Ah, the introspection many years of therapy gives a person!)

So.... The next stage in what I am affectionately calling the UK2ME-Can't-Be-Trusted-Without-External-Accountability Challenge: I want to eventually buy a wetsuit, but I'm reluctant until I have at least stabilised my weight somewhere I can live with. Since I happen to be a big fan of BlueSeventy, my goal for next season is to fit into a size WMA :o)
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c'mon by. you can help me survive my mother in law.
I was thinking plenty of wine and cocktails.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:

Liquor makes my in-laws better. Especially because they don't drink & I know that my MIL is judging me the whole time.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
determination wrote:

Liquor makes my in-laws better. Especially because they don't drink & I know that my MIL is judging me the whole time.

That is hilarious. Liquor makes most things better, in all fairness. Especially judgment.

My other half doesn't know how lucky he is that my family is 3000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
4x bike (10hrs, including the team's TT course-goal for that is 55-56:30 min/19.7 mi and a fun stupid-fast ride with the boys almost YAY!!
3x swim (1000 yard TT on Friday-16 minutes hopefully!) YAY! Ended up being a hell of a swim on Friday. I died and had the greatest time
2x run-Nope
2x core-Nope
Finish group project for one of my classes (designing a helipad)-Refer to the above fails on running/core after. Presented the project today and it went really well!
And eat right/pack adequate amounts of food during my long days at school/practice/work -Did pretty well

That swim on friday was something else... ended up being 3100 meters long course. It was my first time doing long course laps, but I actually liked how fast the laps went by. The workout was probably up there for the longest I have ever swum, but definitely the highest quality workout to date. Main set included 6x 100 on the 1:45 (I was getting 1:27's), 2x 200, and 500 hard. I was in a lane with one of my best female team friends, the other student bike coach (like myself), and one of the guys that I ride with. My riding buddy was just on a roll with witty comments and jokes all swim long. Workout didn't end up including the 1000yard TT though.

I cut some time off my old TT time on Sunday (45 sec over 20 mi), but not as much as I am capable of. But I also did it after standing int he sun for 2 hours and riding 30 miles beforehand. So its to be expected! Didn't end up riding (or doing any runs!) as much as I would have liked due to the stress and importance of the final projects, but such is the life of a college student! Wednesday night I was at my wit's end with final projects and stress when one of my closest friends on the team texted me declaring that him and another teammate were going to pick me up in a half hour for froyo. Thankful for friends who know exactly what you need.

This week:
6x bike (all fun rides because I will be home and LOVE the riding there)
1x run with the sister and dog

Hope everyone (Americans!) has a fabulous thanksgiving!
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH wow. My MIL doesn't drink either. She's probably judging me doubly hard.
My family, laid back, cool, would be totally willing to celebrate the holiday on Friday or Saturday, are 2k miles away. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win
bike x 1: win
run x 3: WIN with 5 and a half
core/strength x 4: win, plus I foam rolled on Saturday night

The 0.5k race was as ridiculous as I expected - not even a full half-kilometer, just around a small block in downtown Wyandotte. Good laughs all 'round. Deffo glad we didn't bother bringing the bikes as it had snowed a tiny bit Friday night, snowed some more Saturday morning during the Wyandotte Christmas parade before the race, and then started crapping down in the mid afternoon. By the time I went to run at Lower Huron Metropark it was a winter wonderland!

Bob White Nature Trail at Lower Huron

Feels like running in Narnia

I was able to do a point-to-point as my husband and our friend dropped me off and then went for a stroll from a parking lot further North while they smoked cigars, but it meant I was running straight into the wind once I got off the nature trail and on to the bike path.

I gained a bit of weight along the way.

Near my ending point, just as darkness was falling. I swear this looks like a painted backdrop for some kind of fantasy movie rather than a photo - the light was just amazing.

The snow kept up, dropping at least 5" by 2am.

Sunday we had a leisurely brunch, then after Tanker dug the car out we drove over to North Bay Park in Ypsilanti. I'd found this place looking at Google Maps and saw there was a huge boardwalk and atoll-like strip of islands that ran right across Ford Lake, and knew I had to go check it out.

I had beautiful sunshine and temperatures around the freezing mark, but not too much wind. There were ducks and swans swimming in the lagoon, plus a couple of people out walking and taking photos.

The trail across the water was really neat to run - don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Had to bring Tank down to the start of the boardwalk so he could check it out, too.

So I got to run some really beautiful places, and the best part of all is that my leg cooperated! Even though the runs were more challenging than anything I've done lately (some elevation change and the ankle-deep snow that would shift underfoot), I had NO PAIN even running back-to-back days. Now, they were only 30mins each, but that's still huge progress. Hell, I actually ran twice on Saturday, if you can call 2mins and 300 metres a "run" (hence the "..and a half").

I went and saw my ultrarunner RMT friend again last night and she agreed that I shouldn't need any more treatment - there's still some tightness and adhesions, but it's dramatically improved and I'll continue foam rolling it to keep it on track.

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 4
core/strength x 4
foam roll x 2

Quote | Reply
Canada :-) and while there's a snowfall warning back home the sun is out today. Hurray!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Canada :-) and while there's a snowfall warning back home the sun is out today. Hurray!

Not quite the snow-magedon that they had forecast, but it's definitely white. My manager is in town from Vancouver for the week. Lucky him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Grouse Grind hike is a must-do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad you just missed the national qualifier short track racing at the Oval this past weekend - best racing ever!

If you are interested in SS, they do drop in on Friday mornings at the oval, but they don't rent SS. If you want to try it, PM me, I'm in Burnaby (just East) and we can either meet up Friday am and I can bring a pair of skates or you could come out to us - Wed at 5pm.

:-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week: stop cheat #1 Hm - so so. Really trying but having a hard time being consistent.
- skate 5x - DONE
- ride 2x (weather + viz look to be good) - DONE and COLD
- run 2x (I am finding now that my skate sessions are with group 3 I am just shelled for running) - FAIL only 1 run
- drills/core 1x - DONE
- get lots of sleep, roll the foot and my legs -DONE
- eat right - DONE (quite proud of this one as I usually end up in junk food land by Friday)

This week: keep working on pressure thru the apex and that pesky cheat, nail that 500m at the next meet!
- skate 3x + meet on Saturday!!!
- ride 2x
- run 2x
- get lots of sleep and eat right

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet mid-run selfie!

Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh thanks for the offer. I can barely skate though so I don't think I'll be doing it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grouse Grind is closed for the winter - but there are lots of other places to go hiking or snowshoeing.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh BTW there's no long track in Vancouver Oval anymore - only short track which means a ton of protective gear and fixed long blade skates. Calgary oval still has long track drop in for public skating and you can rent (fixed) long blade skates there. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving week!) Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised they went short track only. I'm going to try it eventually, its on my bucket list. They have "come try it out" nights here at Victoria Oval. Someday...
Quote Reply

Prev Next