Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 5 Edition
Quote | Reply
October!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 5 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week = bike 100 miles nope. Didn't bike commute as much as I had planned, and did not ride Sunday afternoon due to SI joint acting up post-run. However, I really enjoyed my Saturday ride, take at least a day off from running done!, swim at least a mile each day M-F only swam 3x. Had an early meeting on Wed. (which I will have all term I think, so Wed. swims will be a bonus) and Thursday I just slacked..., be present while doing work. I did fairly well with this until about Friday afternoon

totals
swim 3x = 7900 yds
bike 4x = 53 mi
run 6x = 52.3 mi

On the upside of things, I biked more miles than I ran (that doesn't always happen for me!)

In the land of irony, my SI joint got out of whack yesterday while doing side lunges (which I was doing to strengthen my hips to prevent getting hurt). My lower back is super stiff today. I was able to run; it hurt most in the pool. PT consult tomorrow. I've had this before and it usually just takes a PT nudging it back into place.

Goals for this week: take at least a day off from running, ride at least 50 miles, swim as back allows. School goals = act professionally; be present while doing work.

AP, I hope your first day at the new job is awesome!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was an icky one, for the most part.
Wed. I got through another lecture and had a student ask an awkward, inappropriate, weird question after class (at least it wasn't in front of the whole class) but it, along with another incident in a different class (different instructor) we ended up filing a "we are concerned about this student" report.
Then I was at the allergy dr for 2.5 hrs.
I got scratch tests done on my back. I was allergic to everything I was tested for and I made the decision to do allergy shots. Thankfully, they are 100% covered by my insurance! yay! I had them as a kid and they helped, so I'm hoping they will do so again. I just *can't* be on drugs the entire summer again (it's been 3-4 in a row now).
What really made me sad was a positive reaction to dog. Tested as a kid and in '05, dog was negative. Ugh.
Boo.
Then group ride on Wed., I had invited a friend and basically didn't go out of my way to say hi or talk before the ride. Figured I'd get that chance when the 'hammer' portion of the ride took place and I had previously promised said friend I'd hang with him. On the way to the group ride I hashed over my day with my husband and was just really irritated and didn't feel social AT ALL. Felt grouchy and nasty.

Thurs. I had a failure at a tempo run. I decided to do the treadmill at the gym and apparently this was a mistake. I'm not used to the heat in the gym. I failed. I went home and ran a bit more outside.
Tuesday my speed intervals were banging though. At least there's that.

I got in all scheduled runs, one ride, one "cx" race, and one swim.

So Friday was OK.
Sat. we were supposed to be doing a CX race but when we showed up, it was apparent that they were just throwing us on the short track MTB course and calling it a CX race. I was ticked. Many people were upset. If I hadn't been pre-registered I would have had us leave. If I had known ahead of time, I would have gone on my church's womens retreat instead of subjecting myself to such an idiotic course.
The whole course: Switchbacks uphill, traverse, switchbacks down, paved straightaway, repeat. No getting off the bike. No barriers. No real other CX type elements. A couple off-camber spots.
Top it off, I didn't do very well. I expressed my anger at the race director without being insulting, on the start line. Guy looked shocked.

Sunday's long run was meh. My head wasn't in it and I was running solo. I got in all the miles, but the last 6mi were at an abysmally slow pace (like 90 sec slower than race goal pace) and my body was hurting. Thank goodness for steak. The wonderful husband took me out for steak on Sun. evening.

I was sore. Lately my glutes are hurting. Kind of like where the hamstrings attach but it's on the lateral sides of my pelvis. Both sides equally. Distal, like sort of underneath but on the sides.

This week I'm seeing my muscle fix it guy on Wed., and can't wait. I also think that since there are no CX races this weekend I shall have to schedule a massage.

This week's schedule is too busy. Work has these clinics scheduled both tues and thurs evenings, so I can't do my regular track group workout on tues. Both evening I'll likely not get home until 8-8:30pm. Ugh.

I ran short, slow, and easy today and it kind of hurt. The glutes.
blah.
They feel a little better post run than prior.
Yes, I have been foam rolling and that helps. And stretching.
Swimming and cycling help too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I was FINALLY able to get into my truck and drive late last week. I still have to move the seat all the way back to get in/out, but that is a huge relief to be mobile. The other weird thing is that I have a good day than a really terrible day. It's almost like clockwork and pretty irritating.

But today at PT was the first time I've been able to do a full revolution on the recumbent bike. The seat is way back and I had to rotate my hip, but I did it.

And now I'm getting my first pedicure in about 7 weeks. HEAVEN!!!! I will need a nap later.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a "not so bad" week. Did an (almost) 5km fun run with my sister Saturday morning. There were cupcakes at the halfway point (I did not indulge) and cupcakes at the finish (of course I had one!). It was VERY relaxed (ie walkers starting at the front & lots of dodging to get around people), but the trails were very pretty in their fall colors & the time went by fast. There was also a dog with a cupcake costume - poor doggie...

I just bought a new pair of running shoes - last year's model (on sale!!). I am getting close to admitting that winter is coming - the new shoes will be dedicated treadmill shoes & my old ones for outside runs.

As always I spend more time imagining/planning races than actually training, but the tide is starting to turn on that one. I may have found the motivation to get back on the workout wagon.

Sorry you had a crappy week determination, here's hoping this week improves!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 5 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well, I was FINALLY able to get into my truck and drive late last week.

That's awesome, as is the news about the recumbent bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
1 x swim: win
4 x run: win
4 x core/strength: win

The backpacking trip was amazing. The trail was much drier than last year so the rocky climbs didn't resemble small streams and there was much less mud, and due to having made reservations months ahead of time I was able to spend 2 nights out rather than doing the whole trail in 1 night. Of course, I managed to wear a small hole in the heels of my boot liners the first day, which conspired with the steep climbs to rub up painful, quarter-sized blisters on both of my heels. I've been in sandals since I came off the trail and don't know if I'll be able to get a run in tonight - took last night as a rest day since I hiked 12.5km on Friday, which is my usual day off training.

I almost fell backwards off the top of this within the first 40mins on the way out. Would have been a rather bad scene, as it descends another 25' or so behind where this shot was taken. Fortunately, trekking poles & a bit of core strength saved me from ending up a boneless heap at the bottom.

I love Head Lake.

The fall colours weren't nearly as advanced or impressive as last year, but the Highland Trail in Algonquin Park is always beautiful.

My campsite at the East end of Provoking Lake on the 2nd night seemed absurdly large for just me.

Heard splashing down the shoreline from my campsite just after sunset and saw this grand lady having an evening drink.

Water flow decidedly low, but the falls are still a lovely spot.

This week's goals:
Run x 2
Swim x 1
Core/strength x 4

Going backcountry camping again this weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving (CAMPSGIVING!) - canoeing out to Joeperry Island at Bon Echo Provincial Park with my husband to relax and enjoy some "us" time after he spent last weekend drive-in camping with friends, cycling and fishing while I was on the trail. Just hoping these blisters will let me get a couple of runs in before we leave to maintain some fitness - I do still have a 50k in 11 days.

Quote | Reply
oooh super pretty!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
- training for aerospace certified inspection techniques (for new job) - DONE
- big fat external audit (for soon-to-be old job) - DONE
- run 3x - DONE and felt great
- skate 4x - DONE and felt great
- ride 2x - DONE and loved it
- celebrate FREEDOM come Friday afternoon :-) - DONE although saying goodbye to everyone was hard, I'm super glad with the decision

This week:

- start new job, tweak commute/skeds/etc. - so far so good, slowly ramping up and getting used to the tools etc but everyone is super friendly and wants to help...
- skate 5x
- run 4x
- ride 2x [to new job & back, so 100k total) and *maybe* a third (a CX race on Sat with a n00b class...hmmmm :-))
- bunch more house stuff, long weekend coming up so lots of cooking, family in town, etc.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 5 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MK, you always have the best pics. Thanks for sharing!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals from last week:
- Keep actively tracking food - About 75% achieved
- Get to bed by 10:15 every night - Hahahaha, that one was cute
- Complete the workouts on my run training plan - Mostly! I traded a run for a MTB ride, but....
- Get in the pool - Done!

I feel good about last week! I ran twice, for a total of 4.5 miles. I swam a mile, and I got in 3 miles on the mountain bike on the mountain. I know that in the context of all you real endurance athletes that sounds pretty pathetic, but it's a lot for me. The consistency and getting in some of everything is a big deal - baby steps!! I guess I am seeing some improvements for the work, but what I'm not seeing is any weight loss. Which is frustrating, but... Time and consistency, time and consistency. Bleugh.

I did finally talk myself into my Vivoactive. I've run with it once so far, and it tracked as accurately as the phone app I have been using, and it synced up like it was supposed to. Aside from some teething problems getting it to talk to my phone it's been pretty easy to use, and I'm excited to start gathering some more data about what I'm doing; especially in the pool.

My other half is playing with his German band at an Oktoberfest on Saturday, and then we're staying up in the area and going to watch some CX racing on Sunday. The challenge will be not eating too many sausages and drinking too much beer - damn, what a problem to have!!

Goals for this week:
- Keep following the run trainer
- Swim with all-new tracking
- Not leave all my homework until the night it's due and be up until midnight

Last edited by: UK2ME: Oct 7, 15 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 5 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hooray!!! Consistency is a problem for me too. I do good for a week or two & then things fall apart.

My sister wants a GPS watch/activity tracker & I really think she'd like the Vivoactive. I'm glad it's working well for you.

The weightloss will come from the food tracking (it's sad - but true). Keep tracking & be honest about EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, even if you don't want to write it down. I find that having to write (or log) something is sometimes enough for me not to have it.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 5 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I find I'm being inconsistent, I sometimes go back and adjust plans + expectations. For example, when ramping up for Comrades, which I was trying to follow a 4 week training cycle, I found I was great for 2 weeks, then week 3 went to hell and week 4 was a disaster. So I went to 3 week cycles instead. So my week 4 became week 1, which was at a lower volume, and I ended up getting that recovery (50% of volume) week more frequently.

Just a thought.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 5 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I'm not talking any kind of volume, just getting out the door. By the time the kid is in bed and the "house" stuff is done it's dark & cold & I'm tired. The summer is much easier. Mostly I need to think less & just do. Getting out the door/on the treadmill is the hard part. Took the dog out for an on-leash run last night & she did really well, I'm hoping that bodes well for winter exercise for us both (in the summer she runs off-leash with me - but the winter/snow means more sidewalk time).
Quote Reply