Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet another saddle post
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a saddle with a side profile similar to the ISM Typhoon, or the Cobb Plus. Anyone have any ideas? Both of these saddles are too wide, with constant contact with my thighs. Saddle needs to have a cut out as well, like these do.

I'd post pictures of the saddles, but I can't tell how to. Basically the profile from the side is not totally flat like so many time trial saddles seem to be. The back end rises up, and provides support to my back side as I'm rolled forward in aero. I'm not interested in any flat saddles.

I'm also curious. I can't possibly be the only short-statured (5' 3") not over weight girl (125 lbs) who experiences and can't stand constant inner thigh pressure. If I'm having this experience, what saddle do the really slight ladies use?

Thanks for your ideas!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another saddle post [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be sitting on the saddle too far back, or with your pelvis not rolled forward enough (I presume you are looking for a saddle to ride in aero.) That said, the Typhoon was very wide for me (also way too cushioned).

Here is my experience so far:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5522035;#5522035

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'2", 120 lbs, and am very comfortable on this Dash saddle.

http://www.dashcycles.com/saddles/stage9

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another saddle post [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I saw this when it was posted. Thing is, I don't like a wide saddle and I don't believe it would be possible to roll forward any further without passing the tipping point and literally lying on the faces-forward-while-standing FRONT of my pubic bone. And yes, I have slid back on saddles because I want my back side to be supported while I'm on pubic ramii so yes, it makes other saddles (Koobi 232T and Specialized Power Expert) too wide. With the Cobb, moving forward puts me in front of the cutout (cutout isn't long enough). Their Max saddle extends the cutout but is far wider than the Plus.

I'm on a SMP Evolution on my road bike and like the fully cradled feeling b/c it reduces the weight borne by my pubic ramii by supplying some sit bone support as well. This is a narrow saddle. A similar model, Stratus I believe had just a few more millimeters of padding on the "bump"/rise toward the nose and it really made the thing too wide. The Drakon was worse; that one felt like riding a bike while wearing a pelvic protector (such as for playing ice hockey).

The Sitero was an immediate 'no way'; much too hard, too flat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am smaller than you and also like a very narrow saddle, although I like to ride very far forward and steep, which puts me at least on if not past the tipping point you don't want to go past. I also like the saddle to be flat, so I am on a Selle Italia Superflow Max right now. It has the huge cutout that I wanted and a very narrow nose. Selle Italia has an id fit system described here: http://biketestreviews.com/saddles-part-5-selle-italia-slr-superflow/ that
I wouldn't call it a perfect saddle, but so far I haven't found anything better. I have no inner thigh chafing, no pressure at all on the soft tissue, and for the most part I forget about it entirely when riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a small-framed, lightweight rider - sounds like you need 'less' saddle, not more? No, you are not the only person who doesn't like the saddle rubbing the inner thigh.
Here are my suggestions:
Cobb SHC - narrow, with cutout, also slightly higher in the back like the Plus. But much less saddle volume.
SMP T1 of T2 (depending on your waist size). Less 'scoopy' than the road SMP you already have. Cutout runs the length of the saddle. Have had several folk really love the T2. Your Pelvic Protector comment made me snort! I felt the same way about the Drakon lol.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another saddle post [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I've been on the Selle Italia, the Gel Flow I believe. Must have been on a friend's bike though, or maybe it was on my bike for a day while that fried tried out my Koobi. We both felt the central channel needed to extend forward more. The super flow max though, looks... even stranger to me than the SMP. Thanks for the thought. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one. Though the tab that sticks down, if that design feature is still there, would probably be a problem since my legs have some girth to them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a new saddle too.....

Currently ride an Adamo.....

And my inner thighs are trashed & so painful :-(
I asked about different bike shorts too in another thread

I'm 5'2" and 110-115 depending on time of year ;-)
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another saddle post [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Those could be interesting. Sure would love to find some of these in person.

Quote Reply
Re: Yet another saddle post [cassidyfit1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, I've had a few email exchanges with the owner of ISM saddles. Gotta love his conviction, he's solidly positive the correct placement of the saddle will cure everything. I was trying to get a specific comment regarding which of those saddles would be more narrow, so that I might try that one, and he sorta won't answer that question. At least, not in email. He invited me to call him but our schedules won't align for awhile.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is my understanding that all the ISM saddles are the same width at the nose, it is the taper towards the back of the saddle that is different. I believe they are all 55mm wide at the nose.

They've re-labeled all the models for 2016, describing them as "Performance" Long, Short, or Narrow. The Road/TT are 'Short', the Prologue and Podium are 'Long', and the Attack/PN series are "Narrow'.

The Attack and the Prologue are the same length, but from the nose the Attack doesn't flare out as much. Models like the Road and Racing are short in length, and flare out 'quickly' to the widest part.

Dave is somewhat right is sticking with his recommendation that placement is everything. On the 'short' saddles it's easy to sit too far back - the Attack was designed to give more clearance for the thigh, but you should still be sitting pretty far forward. Not to have your legs sawing up and down on the widest area.

ISM and SMP are philosophically the same in that you are supposed to be resting the 'face' of the pubic rami on the twin noses. If the ISM's are just too much junk up in there, but the SMP Stratos is too much the Pelvic Protector, the SMP T4 might be a good middle ground for nose width at 47mm.

Now, I am not taking into consideration other factors such as stance width and pelvic rotation. Post pics or feel free to pm me for email.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to chime in her about your post in the other thread about the LBPs..
Those plaster molds www very enlightening !!!
But educational for sure !!!
We are all SO DIFFERENT that it's DEFINITELY NOT a "one saddle fits all"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to post pics but don't know how to. I've seen others on a variety of "fix my fit or swim stroke" posts on the main forum so don't know what I'm missing. Maybe using the wrong browser? I see a 'picture' icon above but when I select it my only choice is to input a url; it won't allow me to navigate to my desktop. And I assume the 'link' icon is actually for links. Maybe the 'how to' answer is contained in a fac I've forgotten I read years ago? I'm afraid the Markup Tag help key below doesn't resolve my question.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have to post it to a 'host' site, such as your own youtube channel, blog or picture sharing site such as tinypic.com

from the sticky note "Things to know about this Forum" on the Triathlon page:
Embedding images into your post from Firefox and Internet Explorer:
  1. In a new window go to http://tinypic.com/
  2. Browse your computer and select your image/photo to upload, Click "Upload Now"
  3. Click "Click to View"
  4. Click "Click for full size view" under picture
  5. Right click picture, Copy
  6. In Slowtwitch window, Click Reply to thread
  7. Right click inside advanced editor window, Paste the pic into advanced editor window
  8. Click the Preview Post button (bottom right) and you should see the pic
  9. If pic looks good click Post Reply
How to resize an embedded image:

In a new window go to: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
  1. Browse your computer and select your image/photo to resize
  2. Select the new size for your picture - use a preset or choose a custom size
  3. Optionally, add an effect to your image
  4. Select output image/picture quality Lower quality means a smaller file
  5. Click "Resize" and wait for the processed images to be displayed
  6. Click "Download this picture now", save on your harddrive

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Last edited by: ABarnes: Oct 6, 15 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, this seems like something I should be able to figure out. Next question is what kind of view you'd find informative? The clearest side shot I have was of a 1 off experiment where I lowered my handle bars. I've since put them back but don't have a good clear side view pic of that. Is one foot position better than another (6 and 12 vs 3 and 9 o'clock)?

You mentioned stance and I'm curious. If I note my right knee occassionally comes inward, I ponder the influence this has on my conviction that some saddles are too wide. In generally saddles seem wider when I'm working to generate more power. I see some guys ride with their knees way wide and think there's no way their legs rub the saddle. Mabe I need some instep side shimming. That last part isn't really a question I think you can answer from a static picture.

I found a local FIST etc fitter that I plan to visit in a couple of weeks, after my last race of the year. But I guess I'd still appreciate hearing whatever you have to say. Particularly if there's a super quick win.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, a video is the best, just try to keep the angle of the camera in plane with the bike. Also better if the camera is shot from a lower angle, so that the riders' hips are centered in the frame. Don't need a lot of empty space above the riders' head.

You are right though, with shoe/pedal interface, it's nigh on impossible to do it over the phone/internet. A FIST fitter won't necessarily focus on this aspect of fitting, it is not part of the protocol. If they've been out FIST when Paul Swift is on the agenda, then that person will get an excellent grounding in shoe/pedal interface.

I would add that even mentioning stance width/shims/wedges etc on ST rubs against my better rules of not fitting over the internet. But I will say that looking at the saddle first as the problem can be misleading. Unless there has been a valid assessment of the foot/ankle, shoe/cleat/pedal structure, issues may present at the saddle, but the cause may be at the foot.

I like to say that you don't 'sit' on a bike, you 'stand' on it. Similar in running, problems in the hips start at the feet, and translate upwards thru the structure. A bad foundation affects the penthouse.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply