Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IT band issue continues
Quote | Reply
So about a month ago I made this post:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20of%20knee;#5670639

I'm exactly where I was then. Basically no pain unless I run. Then bam....one mile in the sharp pain comes on.

So one thing I have not done yet is back off cycling. I never feel it cycling. Maybe it's time.

I generally don't have issues with running so this is very frustrating. I try to run about every 3-5 days hoping for change, but it's like clockwork every time. Run one mile and bam. Good thing for treadmills so I can stop when the pain hits.

I've been rolling, massaging....anything I can think of. I just signed up for my first IM so it's getting a bit stressful. And of course I don't want to miss time on the bike either.

I'm almost at 2 months from when this little nagging deal started. Is this normal? Again maybe it's time to just do nothing but swim for a week and then see? 2 weeks? UGH!!!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you are strength training to solve the issue, but I don't want to take i for granted. I was in your boat most of the last year and once I took my strength training for it seriously it went away. Have you gotten PT for it? I also got this patch that was like a cortizone shot from the PT that helped as well.
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [Stephent81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only done foam roller and professional massage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok yea you need to be doing strength training too. I'm built more like a linebacker than a triathlete so I always assumed I was more than strong enough. However, having muscles doesn't equate to having strong stabilizer muscles and weak stabilizer muscles are what cause IT band issues. The IT band is really just how the larger problem manifests itself. You can google hip stabilizer exercises or IT band strength training. If you can swing it though go get a few sessions with a PT so they can really get you moving in the right direction. I now spend 10 minutes or so several days a week training that specific muscle group and it has made a big difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, it was all about glute issues....specifically, my gluteus medius.

Single leg squats are your friend. 3x15 every day. Then move to doing them on a balance pad (or a pillow if you don't have one)

Monster walks w/ resistance bands....do 'em both with bent legs (squat position) and straight legs.

Bridges....lie on your back, feet under your knees. Raise your hips off the ground, extend one leg, hold for 10', then do the other leg. lather, rinse repeat.

Lots of people advoacte doing leg raises against a wall and clams, but I have found it is pretty easy to have other muscle groups cheat you on them if your form isn't perfect. If you aren't feeling a burn in your ass dimple, you aren't doing the exercise right.

Foam rolling, etc isn't going to help much unless you are still in the acute phase of the injury (which it sounds like you are not).

Strengthen your glutes and hip muscles and your IT issues should diminish.

Good luck....been there and I know it sucks, but you will get past it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
For me, it was all about glute issues....specifically, my gluteus medius.

Single leg squats are your friend. 3x15 every day. Then move to doing them on a balance pad (or a pillow if you don't have one)

Monster walks w/ resistance bands....do 'em both with bent legs (squat position) and straight legs.

Bridges....lie on your back, feet under your knees. Raise your hips off the ground, extend one leg, hold for 10', then do the other leg. lather, rinse repeat.

Lots of people advoacte doing leg raises against a wall and clams, but I have found it is pretty easy to have other muscle groups cheat you on them if your form isn't perfect. If you aren't feeling a burn in your ass dimple, you aren't doing the exercise right.

Foam rolling, etc isn't going to help much unless you are still in the acute phase of the injury (which it sounds like you are not).

Strengthen your glutes and hip muscles and your IT issues should diminish.

Good luck....been there and I know it sucks, but you will get past it.

+1
Years of same issues and researching the solution. Power13 nailed pretty much everything with this post. The roller only does so much, and it really doesn't do much of anything if you are actually rolling the IT band itself. It apparently all comes down to the stability muscles, most importantly the Glut. med. I have started doing all of the exercises that were mentioned in this post and it has begun to help. I intend to crank it up quite a bit over the winter and try to "bomb proof" my legs for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys recommend reintegrating running sessions with ongoing strength training?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I think this issue could be a lot of help to the OP too. I've been managing intermittent IT band issues in my left leg on-and-off all year, so I have a little experience but now that I'm hitting the off-season I want to deal with it properly. I agree that proper strength training is key and I've found lateral leg raises and clamshells seem to hit the spot. Although Power13 is correct, form is key, there's absolutely no point in doing it if your form isn't right and you're not hitting the right muscles.

So if I'm doing gluteus medius specific strength training twice daily (morning and evening), should I skip a session leading up to a run so that this muscle is somewhat recovered beforehand? It seems odd to do all that strength training and then ask that muscle to do a better job when it's fatigued than it was doing previously when it was fresh?

Good luck to the OP, hope it clears up soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read this article: http://breakingmuscle.com/...-your-foam-roller-is

Stop rolling, start strengthening. Youtube "hip strengthening exercises for runners" and do those. Everyday. It might take months, mine did.
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:

So if I'm doing gluteus medius specific strength training twice daily (morning and evening), should I skip a session leading up to a run so that this muscle is somewhat recovered beforehand? It seems odd to do all that strength training and then ask that muscle to do a better job when it's fatigued than it was doing previously when it was fresh?
Maybe do the strengthening exercises after a run, instead of before. Something else to look at is your shoe type and running form (if you've had it for that long). Stability shoes and overstriding typically make it worse. If I feel mine start to flare up again, I immediately check my form and try to land more midfoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My IT problem was caused by my cleat position on the bike. It would only manifest itself late in an ironman bike and then get much more painful on the run. It took many race mile to feel the pain. I know this is a long shot for you, but does it hurt if you stop cycling? Moving my cleats outward fixed IT.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys recommend reintegrating running sessions with ongoing strength training?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I think this issue could be a lot of help to the OP too. I've been managing intermittent IT band issues in my left leg on-and-off all year, so I have a little experience but now that I'm hitting the off-season I want to deal with it properly. I agree that proper strength training is key and I've found lateral leg raises and clamshells seem to hit the spot. Although Power13 is correct, form is key, there's absolutely no point in doing it if your form isn't right and you're not hitting the right muscles.

Good luck to the OP, hope it clears up soon.

My $.02.....If you can tolerate some light, easy running....do it. But the second you feel pain, stop. Plan short, multilap routes for your run so you can easily walk back if you need to.

I liked doing some of the exercises BEFORE I ran to "wake" the glutes up and get them firing. One other thing I did (and I have no clinical evidence to back this up, and could be 100% correlation, not causation) was to actively fire my glutes when I was walking around the house / office / wherever. As I waled, I would think about squeezing my glute with each step. You really want those muscles firing when you run instead of being passive. I would also walk about .2 mile before I ran, actively firing my glutes as I walked.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
My $.02.....If you can tolerate some light, easy running....do it. But the second you feel pain, stop. Plan short, multilap routes for your run so you can easily walk back if you need to.

This is what I've been doing. My injury started late July. I was able to run through it at first, but that got old. Then I was unable to run through it due to sharp pain. Then I started running laps on the track. Now I'm on the treadmill. I make it one mile consistently then am able to stop as soon as I feel discomfort. I don't let it get to sharp pain.

So it looks like maybe I should try another week or 2 of what I'm doing, but integrating in the strength training. I'm not quite desperate yet and hate to give up the bike. OK maybe I'm not desperate, but have a long time to get it straightened out :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think that you're getting any benefit out of those 1-mile sessions though? If that's all you can do before you start to aggravate the area again, it might be best to cut out the running altogether because to be honest it's probably not doing much to maintain fitness. If cycling doesn't aggravate it all, I'd certainly keep doing that ahead of the 1-mile run sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bilateral?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very little if any. I only do it because I'm hoping one of these times there won't be any pain. It's kind of like I have to start somewhere so I've been doing 1 mile once a week. And 1 mile because that's where the pain hits.

Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Left knee. I recall having it in my right knee about 10 years ago. That was also a longish healing process, but maybe not 2 months. I did nothing during that healing. No working out / strengthening....etc. It just went away eventually.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITBS does blow but like others have mentioned, strenghten the glutes. I do these:

Day one:

Fire hydrants
Donkey kicks
Monster walks with stretch cord
Standing hip abductors

Day two later in week:

Wide squats (Medicine ball)
Narrow squats (Medicine ball)
Monster walks
One leg squats

Both routines are done after my run and take approximately 10 minutes.

It has helped me with respect to ITB issues

Hope you return to running soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 4 years (yes 4 damn years!!!) of IT band issues were finally solved this year by a combination of strength work and rolling/digging into glutes deep.

Hit the gym. I took the attitude of wanting the strongest hips/back/quads/adductors and abductors of anyone I know. It worked - I almost cried at the end of my first half ironman without IT pain.

So +1 to the guy who said monster walks, squats, side leg lifts, etc etc.

When I left the gym I wanted to barely be able to walk (gradually build to this though don't tear anything!!)

I still do these exercises to this day, a big leg day every week, and I remain pain free

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, that makes sense.

Yeah I'd say your plan sounds sensible, integrate a daily strength training regimen and see if the distance that you can tolerate increases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of thoughts....

since you have been doing this with little success, maybe take a couple of weeks off from running, start the strenghtening regimen and then reintroduce light running in a few weeks.

Where is your pain in the knee? For me, it was in one of my bursa sac....deep down in the knee and no amount of icing and rest was gettin rid of the inflammation. If you are in a similar situation, ask your dic about a cortisone shot. I did it twice....wroked great both times, but the first time I neglected my strengthening routine. When the shot wore off, I was back to square one. IT IS NOT A MAGIC BULLET, but can allow you to resume running while you work on building your glute strength.

But again, it was not until I started 9super) focusing on my gluteus medius that I started overcoming my IT issues...since then, I have not had any flare-ups (2012).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have had IT Band issues this Summer (cycling mainly not running). It turned out I had developed adhesions along the front (Vastus Lateralis) and the rear (Hamstring) of my IT Band.

For me foam rolling didn't touch it, not even close.

I did have very good success treating it using two techniques. My sports chiropractor used Active Release Therapy (ART) and the Graston Technique on the Glute complex and IT Band. I did three sessions (around 1x per week). Wow, painful and left some bruising (more from the Graston Tech...), but very very effective in breaking up the adhesions, releasing the tension, and returning the soft tissue to normal function. Secondly, I used http://www.roguefitness.com/...tywod-super-nova-2-0 for at home care. Essentially you use it like a foam roller, but it penetrates much deeper and is significantly more effective. Also good for hamstrings, calves, etc. (BTW: I have no affiliation with Rogue Fitness).

Good luck!
Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's on the outside and feels like it's almost exactly where the IT band attaches to my knee. So I think it rubs my femur down there causing the pain? Best guess of course.

Again 1100 miles of riding in August and it does not bother me riding. Sometimes I feel it SLIGHTLY. Sometimes if I get out of bed at night to take a leak I feel a SLIGHT amount of stiffness. The only time I'd call it painful is at that one mile point of a run!

I like your idea. Strength exercises for 2 weeks and see where I'm at.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My solution was stretching my hip. Nothing else worked. After a couple months of PT focusing on my knee didn't work I started to focus on my hip. Within a week or two of doing so I had no symptoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What solved it for me was getting off the road and on to the trails.
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [drp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drp wrote:
My solution was stretching my hip. Nothing else worked. After a couple months of PT focusing on my knee didn't work I started to focus on my hip. Within a week or two of doing so I had no symptoms.

Yup. ITB has nothing to do with he knee at all. The tightness starts at the hip. That's just a symptom. For me rolling, chiro and massage were useless. Just lots of really long deliberate stretching of the hip with some stretch cord use worked.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next