Quote | Reply
What a d-bag move from Guerra though.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
more athlete need to stand up like this and send the clear message that once your caugh....your never welcome back.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude sprayed Gambles family and friends with champagne? Wow...someone should have knocked his teeth out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's one of the best RR I've ever read! He told it like it is, my hat's off to him.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would have walked back on stage and punched him in the dick if he sprayed my family.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is good to see Gambles taking a stance.

I wonder what would happen if before the race even started all the pros said to the RD we aren't racing if
you are knowingly allowing an athlete with a history of doping to participate?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtbag wrote:

I wonder what would happen if before the race even started all the pros said to the RD we aren't racing if

I read the entire thing and liked the read. Relative to your question, how does a race director not allow someone who is legally entitled to race from racing. I believe Gerardmer is part of the Challenge group of races and they are locally governed under national federation rules, making it legal for the ex cyclist doper to race. Having said that, I believe that Fexlix from Challenge has said no ex doper will ever get a pro invite to Roth, so not sure how he does it. For example, I don't believe that WTC can keep Antonio Colom of of WTC races. He was suspended for doping as a pro cyclist. He is still the holder of the Mortirolo stage from the 2008 Giro....after his suspension was complete, he got into triathlon and later won IM Frankfurt 2014 and won the 2014 70.3 World's in Tremblant in 35-39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doped, he got suspended, served his ban and returned to racing. He's allowed to do so. Maybe the rule needs to be changed but until it is changed, it is the rule. Who's this Gambles dude to decide that such or such athlete is not welcome to race anymore? The "pro" thing to do would have been to accept the ruling of his governing body, suck it up and acknowledge the winner's victory. Then find means to make his opinion known, other than by shaming him on stage.

I'm all for tougher sentences towards dopers. But I don't think they should be ostracize or discriminated against beyond what the ruling called for.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
He doped, he got suspended, served his ban and returned to racing. He's allowed to do so. Maybe the rule needs to be changed but until it is changed, it is the rule. Who's this Gambles dude to decide that such or such athlete is not welcome to race anymore? The "pro" thing to do would have been to accept the ruling of his governing body, suck it up and acknowledge the winner's victory. Then find means to make his opinion known, other than by shaming him on stage.

I'm all for tougher sentences towards dopers. But I don't think they should be ostracize or discriminated against beyond what the ruling called for.

oh boy...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Sep 8, 15 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtbag wrote:

The doper would still win the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
nchristi wrote:

oh boy...

Sometimes punishments handed down aren't really enough. Sometimes, extra steps can be taken by the public to further place sanctions on someone who has wronged the public in some way. The justice system isn't always the best system for doling out punishments.
Good for him for taking a stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
side rant, my work firewall blocked access because the site has been categorized as , "Gambling". You can't make this stuff up.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All Gambles did was decline to shake his hand. Going after someone's family is way over the line and speaks volumes about Guerra's character (or lack thereof.)
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how I wrote the race story:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...rardmer_XL_5328.html

H
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerardmer is not under Challenge. It's a historic race. Maybe 29th edition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is anybody else struggling to view the OP's link?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are some slow bike splits. That must be one heck of a great bike course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know. Mixed feelings. I am not entirely comfortable with the whole refusing to applaud for the winner or shake their hand. It seems childish to me. I don't think there is a solution since the person served their ban. If he doesn't want to compete against "dopers", he should probably be venting some of this concern to the race directors and governing bodies that allow the athlete to compete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who was the genius that gave him a magnum of champagne at a banquet? Did they expect him to go round to tables pouring it out to audience members?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a real cognitive dissonance here in that I'll be upset at some one who's ethics allows them to cheat but if I'm offered a cheque I can look past alleged shady behaviour.

So I wonder if guerra had paid him cash would he have been OK with finishing second and shook his hand
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a story of doper in sport. Try to stay on track....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who sponsors Guerra anyway? (No, I won't google it....don't want to give him any visits to a webpage.) And more importantly, why would they sponsor him? A convicted doper that's now arguably a mediocre pro: what would be the upside to sponsoring a guy like this?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles - Dopers Suck [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dirtbag wrote:

I read the entire thing and liked the read. Relative to your question, how does a race director not allow someone who is legally entitled to race from racing. I believe Gerardmer is part of the Challenge group of races and they are locally governed under national federation rules, making it legal for the ex cyclist doper to race. Having said that, I believe that Fexlix from Challenge has said no ex doper will ever get a pro invite to Roth, so not sure how he does it. For example, I don't believe that WTC can keep Antonio Colom of of WTC races. He was suspended for doping as a pro cyclist. He is still the holder of the Mortirolo stage from the 2008 Giro....after his suspension was complete, he got into triathlon and later won IM Frankfurt 2014 and won the 2014 70.3 World's in Tremblant in 35-39

Any of these races are private enterprise. They can deny someone entry for any reason that is allowable under the law. Like, "no shirt, no service."

There's no doubt that any of these races COULD disallow someone convicted of doping from starting. The question is SHOULD they? I don't know. WADA has set up the code to allow athletes to serve their suspension and then return. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we've got for now.

WTC could indeed disallow Colom. But as a WADA signatory, what does it achieve? WTC supports the WADA Code. Disallowing Colom, who served his suspension, would undercut that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next