Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
"I was leading the women on the bike until the last two kilometers when a team-mate passed me. I got off my bike and struggled for the first few km on the run. I think my words to my sister when I saw her were “I’m really struggling’. I was running scared realizing I might actually get on the podium. I had Lisa (my sister) watching for other women and telling me how far back they were and if they were gaining on me. On the last 5 km lap, I started to find my legs again and picked up my pace, but was it going to be enough to hold my spot? Lisa disappeared to the finish line to see me cross. I started to realize what a huge boost it was seeing her on the course every lap. I dug deep for my own drive and crossed the finish line as World Champion. It truly was a powHERful ‘Pinch Me’ moment!”"

Unless her sister is a complete retard, she must have been aware her sister was cheating. The speed discrepancy between Julie Millers normal 6 min/km pace vs someone like Victoria Hill running at 4.10 pace would have been blatantly obvious.

"Struggled until the last 5k" yet ran a 1:23 20k? I wish I could struggle that fast ..

formerly but still a Run Snail...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
"I was leading the women on the bike until the last two kilometers when a team-mate passed me. I got off my bike and struggled for the first few km on the run. I think my words to my sister when I saw her were “I’m really struggling’. I was running scared realizing I might actually get on the podium. I had Lisa (my sister) watching for other women and telling me how far back they were and if they were gaining on me. On the last 5 km lap, I started to find my legs again and picked up my pace, but was it going to be enough to hold my spot? Lisa disappeared to the finish line to see me cross. I started to realize what a huge boost it was seeing her on the course every lap. I dug deep for my own drive and crossed the finish line as World Champion. It truly was a powHERful ‘Pinch Me’ moment!”"

Unless her sister is a complete retard, she must have been aware her sister was cheating. The speed discrepancy between Julie Millers normal 6 min/km pace vs someone like Victoria Hill running at 4.10 pace would have been blatantly obvious.

Looking closer at these quotes compared to the official results:

"I was leading the women on the bike..." - wrong. 2 Japanese athletes were leading the bike, having swum a 59:41 and 59:42, over 10 minutes quicker than anyone else. Her Canadian teammate, Jen Milton, also out-swam and out-biked her, as did South African, Jodi Zulberg.

"until the last two kilometers when a team-mate passed me" - wrong. No Canadian women (in her age group at least), could have passed her in the last two kms. Jen Milton, who took 3rd on the day, swam and biked faster than JM, entering T2 in 5:21, 6 minutes ahead of JM. Victoria Hill, the British athlete who took 2nd on the day, could have overtaken her in the last two kms, as she entered T2 one minute ahead of JM in 5:26. (This assumes JM biked the full course)

"I got off my bike and struggled for the first few km on the run." - this seem plausible, but doesn't fit with averaging 6:38/mile for the whole 20km run.

"On the last 5 km lap, I started to find my legs again and picked up my pace, but was it going to be enough to hold my spot?" - so she admits that on the last of the 5km laps she was not in first place, and then, having described all the previous details, she omits to describe the moment - the glorious moment surely - that she passed the leader to take over first place on the last lap? Surely that moment would be significant in her memory? Unless...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cougie wrote:
Some china photos here - http://www.powherhouse.com/...-victory-whats-next/

Thanks, but not enough. I'm looking for something like Finisher Pix... ideally 1000's of photos at various points on the course. There was something like this for the 2015 worlds, but it doesn't appear to have been done (or has been taken down) for the 2014 ones.

Heck, it might work if someone who was there happened to capture her (maybe someone who traveled with the Canadian team and took pictures of everybody they saw).

If you can find pictures of her on course and can place her at a certain place at a certain time you can determine whether the run time "works". One method would be to locate her with a faster athlete and a slower athlete and figure out when they could have crossed paths based on their splits, waves, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we know what waves went off together ? According to the ITU website AG start was 8.45 to 8.55.

Presumably at the very least her AG men and women went off together - otherwise what was the point of the comment on beating her Canadian men and women out of the water ?

Without that - we can't really tell much from photos - if we had more than the handful we have got from her websites. Perhaps some of her competitors have race blogs though ?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [peeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her sister probably has photos of her on the run course, with digital time stamps...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her race number at the 2015 ITU Sweden event was 566. Multiple photos can be found at the link:

http://www.sportograf.com/en/shop/search/3104
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are her number tats on her thighs and not on her calf? Is that some crazu euro rule like number belts on the bike?

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Her race number at the 2015 ITU Sweden event was 566. Multiple photos can be found at the link:

I don't think anybody has brought up suspicion of any wrongdoing at the race in Sweden. 39th place (or whatever it was) is probably a fair representation of her true athletic ability.

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

I don't think anybody has brought up suspicion of any wrongdoing at the race in Sweden. 39th place (or whatever it was) is probably a fair representation of her true athletic ability.
Cheers,
malte

I was in Sweden and noted on the now deleted thread that we wore timing chips on both ankles, and another timing chip was required on the helmet (and inspected at bike turn-in ... adhesive back RFID or something like that stuck to the right side). On the bike, you had timing matts at the turns as well as an array of timing receivers at helmet height just before going into the turns. The course was closed to traffic and quite visibly open -- no way for cheaters to cut anything. And it would be difficult to explain losing not one, but both ankle timing chips, before going on to the run course. The only potential place to cut the course would have been in the woods at the far end of each 10K loop but they had timing matts out there too. So yeah, Sweden was probably a fair representation of her true ability and not an off day. Quite a difference between 1st and 39th in her age group just one year later!
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Sep 3, 15 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are getting crushed by the dishwheels thread!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:

Laughable! They're still 250 posts behind...

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
spasmus wrote:

Laughable! They're still 250 posts behind...

Cheers,
malte

For entertainment... I am going with the Dishwheel thread right now. But I don't remember two such amazing threads at one time in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I agree, this thread is far too serious.

I can't wait for Ben to show up again, I fear he's too stupid to stay away...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didnt mean the number of posts, just the entertainment value!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
22min in the men's field would be very unusual, but not in the women's - although 8 to 15min is more typical.

What I find interesting is that her ranking among all women is just behind the same rider in both 2014 & 2015. Unremarkable and likely a coincidence since there was a handful of different men between the two riders both years. Without any evidence, I have nothing to suggest that her result isn't legit. That said, if I was looking to win my age group (again) without putting in the requisite training, I would skip the start and hang out somewhere between the end of the section of singletrack that includes the powerhouse plunge and the feed zone before the right turn into Crumpet woods. It's generally pretty crowded with spectators at that point, but the riders are fairly strung out. I would wait until I see a female rider with a very noticeable fluorescent orange POC helmet and green kit. I would start riding to the finish at that time. (I would probably make sure that I finish behind her because that rider is known for very strong finishes and is a few years older than me, making my win seem more realistic.) Given that Crumpet woods is commonly known as Cramp-it woods, I'd generally be with a mix of riders who are other fading hard or charging the finish so, as long as I was a little bit sweaty and dirty, I wouldn't look out of place regardless of what my fitness or technical skills happen to be. That's how I would do it.

gregf83 wrote:
sharkbait_au wrote:
zedzded wrote:
sharkbait_au wrote:
So from a few posts from above, I gather the information we have is ...

In chronological order:

2013 IMC (lost chip, swam 58 mins, ran 3:42 marathon, both of which seem inconsistent with other swims/runs)
2014 Test of Metal MTB race (lost race number on front of bike, cut 25 mins off prior year's time)
2014 Vancouver Long Distance Triathlon (chip issue, DQ. Think the issue was out-biking pro men on 2 laps)
2014 ITU Long Distance Worlds (chip issue, ran 6:43/mile for 20km off a 4+ hour bike. Not normal.)
2015 IMC (lost chip, DQ)

I think she won her AG in the 2015 test of metal and also lost her race number as she did in 2014. So you can add that to the list!

I originally questioned how many events had chip related problems, because I expect an adult to find a solution to a continuing problem.

I really don't wan't to keep updating the list based on every "I think" etc.. Feel free to update if you have evidence.
ToM 2015 results show her winning her age group (40-44) by a margin of 22:06 over the 2nd place finisher in her age group. Also the only rider out of the first 150 without a number strapped to her bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both these threads are amateurish at best. Nothing will ever come close to the Hottie thread Khai started maybe 10 years ago. It was so big that the forum's bandwidth was strained.
Arguing if JM or DW is the best is akin to Dev and me discussing who is the tallest.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
When I look at the 2013 Ironman Canada results it shows her finishing 10th in 10:56:15. If there were 3 spots and no roll downs, the third place gal was over 26 minutes ahead of Julie rather than less than a minute. Even if the spot had rolled down to 9th place, that gal was still over 8 and a half minutes ahead of Julie. Even if you look at what place her time would have garnered her in the next older age group it's still only 6th so it's not as if she was thinking " when I age up". It would appear there was some rather "wishful remembering" going on.

Hugh

I think she meant that she was only missed catching the earlier bus to the finish by less than a minute.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Nothing will ever come close to the Hottie thread Khai started maybe 10 years ago.

Oh man, that thread was doomed from the start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Both these threads are amateurish at best. Nothing will ever come close to the Hottie thread Khai started maybe 10 years ago. It was so big that the forum's bandwidth was strained.
Arguing if JM or DW is the best is akin to Dev and me discussing who is the tallest.

Between the Hottie Thread and Khai's bike across Canada, he sure provided some great "reading"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are dishwheels? How could it be any more interesting than this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed - both of these threads are having a serious impact on my work effort level

the facebook link that somebody posted further back is also some interesting reading (since a few of the posters are acquaintances/defenders of JM - and apparently she was a follower of the thread untill she deleted her facebook profile a few days ago)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if the dishedwheels comedy could somehow involve an identical twin my life would be complete
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
if the dishedwheels comedy could somehow involve an identical twin my life would be complete

Well, one of the boys from FLO chimed in so does that count?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or the 'what song is this' from freestyle :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to no one in particular:

the last several posts (here no longer) are heading down a road with which i'm uncomfortable. if you all want to discuss, in theory, while naming no names and making no allusions to anybody in particular, your own analysis of the psychology of those who exhibit certain race behaviors, fine, but can you start another thread for this?

this is copied from the first post in this thread: "i'd prefer that you limit your posts to anything that you want to say regarding the factual elements of this particular case."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next