Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone riding a light TT/Tri bike? If so what does it weigh?
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine is riding Swiss TT nationals next week and was saying there are 1200 feet of climbing in 20k. While aero still rules, a light TT bike would be an advantage.

That got me wondering about bike weight, so I stripped my Shiv down to its minimum weight and it was still a bit more than 19 lbs. Is anyone riding a sub-18 pound bike or even sub-17 and what did it take to get that low?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a light TT/Tri bike? If so what does it weigh? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious too. No TT bike here, but I put ~120 miles on a 40 pound commuter every week and my roadie is ~20lbs (also not aero) so super light bikes get my juices flowing.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a light TT/Tri bike? If so what does it weigh? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Speed Concept weighs ~18ish lbs. Tubular wheels and a light saddle help. But it would probably be faster at 19lbs and Turbo Cotton tires (vs Vittoria Evo CX tubulars) at any race in the world.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My tri-bike is a 10 year old, custom made Yaqui. With a pair of Zipp 404 wheels and Syntace C2 clip-ons aerobars, it clocks in at just under 17lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Kane Carbon Krono with training wheels, pedals, cages, and saddle bag (spare tube, CO2 kit w/ 2 CO2s, tire lever) weighs 18lbs 8oz. With my deep dish race tubular wheels (w/ Red cassette), it's 17lbs 5ish oz. I don't have my race wheels in the shop, otherwise, I'd weigh it too. It's light!

SRAM Red, 10 speed (currently w/ Rival cassette & Rival chain)
Profile Design Cobra Carbon base bar
Profile Design T-Mag aero bars
Ritchey WCS 4-Axis stem
Carbon Aero seat post
Selle SMP Glider saddle
Arundel carbon cages (two)
Shimano 6700 pedals
Old Williams 30mm aluminum rear wheel w. Continental GP4000 tires
Old Campy Zonda front wheel

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Blue Triad SL is just under 17 for the large frame with Red 22 and Reynolds Strike SLGs. It feels lighter than my old Felt DA which I never weighed.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lightweight autobahn disc is a good place to start I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
A friend of mine is riding Swiss TT nationals next week and was saying there are 1200 feet of climbing in 20k. While aero still rules, a light TT bike would be an advantage.

That got me wondering about bike weight, so I stripped my Shiv down to its minimum weight and it was still a bit more than 19 lbs. Is anyone riding a sub-18 pound bike or even sub-17 and what did it take to get that low?
My shiv is like mid 16s, if memory serves.....with disc and di2. I can weigh it tomorrow if I remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a light TT/Tri bike? If so what does it weigh? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Lightweight autobahn disc is a good place to start I guess.

If you go for a lightweight shallow carbon tub wheel (an eBay special) and add a lightweight disc cover you should be able to hit very close to the claimed 780g for the disc for around 750USD.

If you wanted to really strip the weight out, getting a 20mm tubular rim from eBay and building it yourself could yield something really light.

You could also purchase the rest of the bike with the money saved from not buying the autobahn...

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My SC is 22lbs and it's way too heavy. I'm running Flo60/90 w/ power2max classic w/ gossamer cranks. I imagine a carbon wheelset, lighter cranks, and a lighter cockpit would get me to where I would be more comfortable, but now, I just ride my 18lbs CAAD10 much more often. ;)

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always been keen to have my TT bike as light as possible and at present have two which fit the bill. One is a Cervelo S5 VWD which is a light road frame but, as it is aero, makes for a good TT bike

The other is a 2015 high modular carbon Cannondale Slice fitted with the lightweight Cannondale SiSL 2 crankset. I am tending towards using the Cannondale as my go-to bike, mainly because the S5 frame cannot handle 25mm tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine's just shy of 17lbs. Not easy to get it there...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alloy Cervelo P2k coming in at 17.1 with Sram Force, Bontrager Aeolus tubs and integrated Profile bars. The SLK Light cranks help a bit, but the tubs are huge in the weight department. Sanded the stock paint off and replaced only about half, leaving bare, brushed aluminum for the rest. That helped a bit, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a light TT/Tri bike? If so what does it weigh? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree. my shiv is 16ish also. Dura ace groupset is key and wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess my weight

Last edited by: hilomike: Jun 22, 15 1:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a cervelo p4 with sram red 10s, easton attack aerobars, front magura rt6 brake, fizik tritone saddle, rotor power cranks, with some mavic cxr80 wheels it sits on the 7,6kg marc, ~16,8lbs (dont quite remember if i had this with Mavic SLR pedals, probably not, so its 175g more ;)) without bottles of course

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fastest tt bike weighed 21.5 lb.
I even rode it to high placings at Vuelta da Bisbee hillclimb prologue and Tour of the Gila tt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This had me curious since so I weighed my road bike and tri bike yesterday. Tri bike with trainer wheel on it not my race wheel was about the same weight as the road bike ~20 each. So I think the tri bike is actually lighter than my road bike consider I had flat stuff on the tri bike and not the road bike

I think my mtb is lighter than both, go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
17.92 lbs for a size XL Titanflex.

Key to dropping under 18lbs was a conversion to single chainring (removing front derailluer and shifter) and using a 44T wide/narrow tooth front chainring for chain retention (no droped chains ever to date), SRAM 10speed return to center shifter, and SRAM XX Mtn. Bike Rear Derailluer and 11x36T Cassette. Light Wheels (Rolf Vigor SL) and 3T Handle/Aerobars help offset a relatively heavy Aluminum and Ti framset. Tiago Spyder Twin Tail Saddle is very light and wheels / tires are setup Tubeless. Can be set up 50g (0.11lbs) lighter if I switch out the 11x36 cassette for my SRAM Red 11x28 cassette for flat events.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a light TT/Tri bike? If so what does it weigh? [GTOscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my next projects will be a 1x11 setup. Just a bit tricky with Rotor Q-rings. I will need to make a good chain watcher that is both light and aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Felt IA, 21.5lbs. Fast though.

Remember that even if there is elevation change, if the climbs are not 6%+, it makes very little difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
One of my next projects will be a 1x11 setup. Just a bit tricky with Rotor Q-rings. I will need to make a good chain watcher that is both light and aero.

I tried it, even tried filing the teeth to see if they would stay on (old set of rings) Basically didn't work, you may have better luck but if it is only for weight savings then you will still need an FD and won't save much.

I went with a Wolf 50 and red X10 in the back at 11-28, love it.

No drops and even had a pretty big crash in Victoria 70.3 without a drop, I put a cork from my favourite wine where the other shifter went.

"Carnivore" reminds me why I train ;-)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems SRAM is well down the line on the 11x1 road.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/...oad-groupsets-166520
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding a light TT/Tri bike? If so what does it weigh? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
My Felt IA, 21.5lbs. Fast though.

Remember that even if there is elevation change, if the climbs are not 6%+, it makes very little difference.

My motivation to ditch the FD comes from a post on slowtwitch by one of the founders of Cervelo (Vroomen or White, can't remember). Anyway in his post he was saying that the increase in drag from the front dérailleur was just about equal to the decrease in drag they got from the curved and aero shaped seat tube on the original P3C (though I am not sure what type of seat tube they were using as a baseline). So I figure ditching the FD is maybe worth about 250 grams in weight and 2-6 watts of drag (the Shiv TT has about 3-4 inches of exposed cable housing for the derailluers, so 6 watts seems like a reasonable upper bound).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51cm Slice, SRAM Red, Easton Attack TT, Reynolds a Strike SLG, Speedplay... 16.4lbs

UOFT
Quote Reply

Prev Next