Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I will be the next ST guy getting surgery for inguinal hernia. Got back from a 12 mile run yesterday and noticed the bulge. I have my consult with the physician tomorrow. Ugh. So much for the 100 runs in a 100 days this year. I hope I am on the short end of the recovery period. Kind of reminds me of the scene in Johnny Dangerously with the PSA on "Your Testicles and You."...

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big long thread about it on cycling forums

http://www.cyclingforums.com/...rnia-recovery-advice
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good info... If someone wants to talk to me can DM and will give cell #....

Always willing to help..

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [rph60] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had an inguinal surgery done laproscopically (sp) on 1/8. I'm 3 weeks post-op tomorrow. Have to wait 4 weeks and can go back to full exercise per Dr's orders. R side only, but he also found a femoral hernia. Mesh inserted. quite stiff and sore for several days, but have been walking 2 miles every day since surgery including the day after. Had the hernia for about 10 months and raced Nationals, a 70.3, and 2 IM's with it:)

Quote | Reply
I go back to the doctor for a 2 week check-up. I ended up having to go on back-to-back trips and lugged suitcases across North America for 7 days. I feel like I might have stressed it and delayed recovery. The recovery doesn't seem quite right. Might all be in my head, but the stiffness and swelling is more than I expected. I hope the doc says this is normal and just the result of not resting enough. I am climbing the walls and cannot wait to put this in my past.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the doctor agreed and now I have to wait until next week for a sonogram. My fear is that I have to go through a second hernia surgery.

Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery (laparoscopic with mesh) in 2007, and even to this day I still get discomfort when I push too hard, particularly big gears or picking-up my young kids. I can actually see the lower abdomen area 'swell' out sometimes, against the mesh. The Op was what actually got me back into Tri nearly 8 years ago now, and iirc it was about 3 months from the Op to doing a few races. Bear in mind I hadn't swum or biked properly for 10 years, but running is the hardest to get back into in any case.

I had a Vasectomy just over 2 weeks ago, and there can be added discomfort or complications there too, if you've had hernia surgery. Let's just say my recovery was rushed, and I had to reign myself back in somewhat! I'm now finding the Cross-Trainer & Spin bike (lots of standing work) to be my ally here.

All I'll say, is recovery is generally longer than you expect - especially if you rush it! Oh, and if possible, have any of these Ops after the season has ended i.e. Sept or Oct ideally, the longest time to recover and no pressure to get fit.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jan 30, 15 2:43
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just open hernia surgery and was just wondering how long it's going to take before all the abdominal bloating will go away? Does anyone have any experience with this? I had surgery two days ago and so far have avoide taking anything stronger than ibuprofen for pain and it hasn't been too bad. I've had a dull headache and a slight fever. The bloated belly and swollen testicles are the things that bother the most. Any feedback on these two specific side effects would be very much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [90kestrel200] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open or laparoscope? Shouldn't have any "bloating" with open..unless constipated..

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90kestrel200 wrote:
Just open hernia surgery and was just wondering how long it's going to take before all the abdominal bloating will go away? Does anyone have any experience with this? I had surgery two days ago and so far have avoide taking anything stronger than ibuprofen for pain and it hasn't been too bad. I've had a dull headache and a slight fever. The bloated belly and swollen testicles are the things that bother the most. Any feedback on these two specific side effects would be very much appreciated.

The swollen sack is something everyone deals with. It will go down but it takes time. I'm 10 weeks post-op and my right nut area is still about 2x the size of the left but I don't really feel it. Fluid build up is all.

The bloated belly might be from constipation as rph60 alluded. I couldn't take a dump for the first 4-5 days. Miralax is your friend. And listen to rph60 as he's a doc that performs these surgeries.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be constipation. Surgery was open. Haven.t had a bowel movement yet and going into my third day today.Just started taking over the counter "stool softener" for it yesterday. Walked 2 miles yesterday. But not eating that much.

Thx for the replies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rest as much as possible and not push it. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago and didn't rest. I went to the surgeon on Thursday and something seemed wrong to me in my left scrotum area. The doctor agreed and I have a sonogram scheduled for Monday morning. I think either I re-injured the hernia or the doctor missed one. The anticipation on not knowing is killing me. Moral of the story - just because we are healthy doesn't mean we are invincible. Take the time to heal properly. I will let you know what I find out next week. Ugh!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stool softner good for regulation. To get going use milk of magnesium (MOM)..

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HIGHLY unlikely a problem with hernia repair. Sometimes the vascular supply to the testicle could be affected during repair but there are plenty of collaterals that will take over but could take months. As a result the testicle will swell. Another possibility is swelling/hematoma from the repair. GRAVITY causes a lot of the swelling to go downhill...

Robert
Last edited by: rph60: Jan 31, 15 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply (I think...). I will let you know what the sonogram reveals. Seems like an extra cord down there. Very troubling and painful. Way worse feeling than before the surgery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The active patients aren't very patient but in the long term the quicker you get back the better you heal. Been only 2 weeks...Again after you see your surgeon and if you want to call me DM..

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc released me to run two weeks post op after open surgery. Ran 3 miles about 40 sec - 1 min slower pace than pre surgery. Felt good after until later that day so one at work pushed his chair into me and struck me directly on the incision. Hurt the rest of the day. Right Testicle swelled up again. Went back down this morning. Going to run 3 miles today. Hopefully all will be good. Hang in there everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question to all: Did you guys notice pain or discomfort, which led you to get the surgery? Sports med doc just did my annual physical and said i had a "small" inguinal hernia, but I haven't noticed any pain or discomfort at all. He said keep on going then until it starts to hurt. Won't ever get better on it's own, but it may not get worse. I've had some tightness from time to time in my right lower back, right side in general, but always attributed it to muscle imbalances from previous ACL surgery on R knee. Will I "know" if I make the hernia worse? Anyone else had a similar experience? Kind of makes it hard to go all out when, in the back of my head, I'm worried that I'll make things worse.
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience will likely not be helpful, but I went out on a run and noticed my left testical area was severely swollen. Turns out the swelling was my intestine popping out. Ugh. So, yes it was noticeable. What I don't know is when i experienced the inguinal hernia, how long it was there or what caused it. Others I have heard go a long time with a hernia without getting it repaired. Hopefully someone else can give you better info.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any opinions on having a hernia repair with the Shouldice method versus mesh.
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [Pett'rifier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also be interested to here comments since a Google search returns results with high praise, some referring to this procedure as the gold standard of hernia surgery.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Feb 19, 15 20:03
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was found totally by accident. I was seeing a consultant for a suspected Sportsmans' Hernia and he found an inguinal one instead. Totally unrelated, nothing to do with the problems I was having that led me there (other side, different area). And then after seeing the surgeon for the inguinal pre-op, we found there was one on the other side and it became bilateral repair.

I was asymptomatic other than the lump he found, and whilst it did warrant surgery due to the size and proximity to "the lads", I agreed to put the procedure off until after my 'A' race that year (IM Austria). Didn't bother me at all.
Last edited by: knighty76: Feb 20, 15 3:06
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [Pett'rifier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned the Shouldice repair in training in the 80's. Your own body's tissues are used for the repair. So there is a lot of tension after surgery. Walk bent over for a while.
Learned Mesh repair in 1990 and never went back. No tension with this repair and much quicker recovery...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been having abdominal pain for 6+ weeks, saw the doc as there was no obvious lump and I was able train and race with relatively low or no pain, but god help me when I sneeze. My primary care had an ultrasound done which showed a 1.6cm hernia high in the inguinal canal. Went to see a surgeon, he couldn't feel anything either and ordered a CT scan, sure enough it confirmed the hernia high in the inguinal canal. After much discussion I'm holding off on surgery until after Boulder 70.3. Discussing thing with the surgeon, primary care, and PT doc I was seeing for an unrelated injury they're all in agreement that if I haven't made things worse with my current training/racing load I should be safe until after Boulder, my limiter being pain tolerance.

Getting old sucks.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
24 hours post surgery. The surgeon ended up not going with laproscopy and I'm the proud owner of what looks like a 4 inch incision site. Felt pretty good this morning and thought i could man up the day without any vicodin. Nope, made it about 8 hours before the pain got to be too much. Hopefully day two will be easier.

The surgeon said no workouts for 2 weeks then i can start swimming again but not sure about running and cycling.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next