Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel
Quote | Reply
Didn't really want to buy a new disc wheel. My current disc wheel has the old 182 hub, pretty old but in good condition with ceramic bearings.

Ground down the lip on the back of the cassette so it's flush, ultegra, and the 11 speed works on the 10 speed hub. I'm guessing this won't work on a dura ace cassette as it's carbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [mendne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take one of the cogs out...I.e. make it a 10 speed.

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [mendne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you needed was a new free hub body. About 49.99 and your wheel would have been an 11 speed. 😉
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah didn't want 10 speed as I have di2 and it might just go off the cassette.

As it's an older disc wheel the 11 speed freewheel won't fit, also I believe you need to change the axle. I did convert a set of 404s from 2012 and I required to get a new freewheel, axle and wheel re-dished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option regarding getting your wheel to work. Free and very simple:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog 11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 8, 16 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I did initially think of that but didn't fancy re-adjusting my gears every time.

Surprised no one with a milling machine is adjusting 11 speed cassettes for 10 speed hubs. Using a grinding disc is a little agricultural....
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a pic of the cassette area you ground off and the approximate depth? Interested in doing the same for my 10 speed discs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the price of an edco cassette that does this
http://www.edcoengineering.nl/template/front_print.php?id=378&pid=157

You could probably get an engineering shop to mill down 2 or 3 Ultegra cassettes...
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is nobody selling these "milled" cassettes?
I am sure bunch of people would buy them to save their 10 speed wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea. Only problem that I can think of is that the big cog might dig into the cassette body with the shoulder roemoved. Can you post a pic of the cassette. It looks like slowtwitchers can't believe that you could do it youself.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Jan 10, 15 4:09
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a picture of the ground down cassette. I'm not sure if this would work for spoked wheels as the rear mech May foul with the spokes. On my disc there is plenty of clearance so no problems...

http://tinypic.com/...?pic=1zlchnt&s=8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, and do you have no adjustments to the RD when switching rear wheels?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest I didn't have a test run but the top few gears worked so as long as these cogs are lined up and it's the same cassette spacing to my normal wheels it shouldn't be a major problem.

The difference between the two cassettes is 1.85mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue so looking at these threads with interest.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this problem last year and it was not solvable for my 900 Disc. I couldn't find a hub that would fit. I was able to change the hub on my 808's.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jan 10, 15 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I have read about some re-dishing involved for 10 to 11 changes.
Any issues with the disc not aligning correctly?
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duvivr6 wrote:
Why is nobody selling these "milled" cassettes? I am sure bunch of people would buy them to save their 10 speed wheels.

Because, while such modified cassettes may work with some true disc wheels (but not covered ones like those by hed or flo), they won't work with many spoked wheels. The issue is not the RD and the spoke clearance when shifting to the biggest cog. The bigger problem is that when the back of an 11-speed cassette is milled by ~1.5mm, the clearance between the back of the cassette cogs/cassette spider and the hub body/hub flanges becomes extremely tight on many wheels. Sometimes the clearance is zero or is a negative number. From measurements that I have taken, milling the back of a cassette won't safely work on a 2006-2008 zipp 808 wheelset for these reasons. So I did this instead, simple and keeps everything future-compatible too.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 10, 15 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
duvivr6 wrote:
Why is nobody selling these "milled" cassettes? I am sure bunch of people would buy them to save their 10 speed wheels.

Because, while such modified cassettes may work with some true disc wheels (but not covered ones like those by hed or flo), they won't work with many spoked wheels. The issue is not the RD and the spoke clearance when shifting to the biggest cog. The bigger problem is that when the back of an 11-speed cassette is milled by ~1.5mm, the clearance between the back of the cassette cogs/cassette spider and the hub body/hub flanges becomes extremely tight on many wheels. Sometimes the clearance is zero or is a negative number. From measurements that I have taken, milling the back of a cassette won't safely work on a 2006-2008 zipp 808 wheelset for these reasons. So I did this instead, simple and keeps everything future-compatible too.

Greg @ dsw

Copy thanks for the info, I had just asked this above since I was pretty sure there was an issue related to the spokes in some wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the 10 speed conversion as DSW suggests on his site and it works a treat. Just dropped the 14 tooth out of my 11 speed cassette and adjusted the high/low limit screws accordingly. The temptation is still there for me personally to upgrade my Zipp 999's to a new firecrest 808 and disc, but will see what my bank balance tells me when I get close to race season. My new P5 has wiped me out for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could buy an 11spd Campy cassette and Campy 11spd freehub. Should be a direct swap with 10spd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pic!
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could buy a Wheels Manufacturing Accellerator 11 speed cassette that is Campy spacing but fits a 10 speed Shimano hub. Leonard Zinn claims that the Campy 11 speed spacing works with Shimano 11 speed shifting even though the Shimano 11 speed cassette has slightly different spacing. http://velonews.competitor.com/...n-plain-sight_303199
I haven't tried it yet on my Zipp 900 disc but I'm looking at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP said they've got di2 so they should be able to fine tune the shifting with a Campy cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Or you could buy an 11spd Campy cassette and Campy 11spd freehub. Should be a direct swap with 10spd

So if I have a Zipp Sub-9 disc with a 10-speed Shimano freehub, then I could easily just buy a Campagnolo 11-speed freehub and replace the Shimano freehub with the Campagnolo without worrying about re-dishing the wheel?

Morten Falk Størling
Blog l Instagram l Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [MortenFalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is likely less expensive to just buy a Wheels Mfg cassette than to buy a new freehub and a Campy cassette.
Quote Reply

Prev Next