Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Sabella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sabella wrote:
I need to replace the headset bearings of my tm01, and i didny find then, could someone tell to me where i find the bearings..?
Thanks

I ordered a new set of bearings from R&A Cycles earlier this year. Be sure to tell them you just want ones that fit your bike, not necessarily factory ones from BMC. In my experience, BMC North America just doesn't stock enough spare parts and you'll be waiting forever otherwise. The guy at R&A that helped me was Edwin. Ask for him and he might remember working with me (Bo) on this.

Good luck!

#KISPERFORMANCE
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [mikra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had two Time Machines and the only paint chips were the ones I put on it. After the 2012 re-design (I don't know much about years prior) the fork could hit the frame (and chip paint) when turned to the extremes, so it was a contact/design issue instead of a paint quality issue. There are rubber bumpers on the forks now (2014+) which prevent that. There shouldn't be any paint missing unless somebody knocked it off. I never saw any paint overspray, paint missing, or anything that would have led me to question paint quality on the two frames under my roof. Others here may have more/different experience.

There's no way your frame is new......unless it was transported after being built, the chain dropped, and it was sitting on that exact spot for a pretty rough trip. Which seems unlikely. Something made quite a bit of contact with the exact spot you're missing paint at. It did not fall off due to poor quality.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I have had two Time Machines and the only paint chips were the ones I put on it. After the 2012 re-design (I don't know much about years prior) the fork could hit the frame (and chip paint) when turned to the extremes, so it was a contact/design issue instead of a paint quality issue. There are rubber bumpers on the forks now (2014+) which prevent that. There shouldn't be any paint missing unless somebody knocked it off. I never saw any paint overspray, paint missing, or anything that would have led me to question paint quality on the two frames under my roof. Others here may have more/different experience.

There's no way your frame is new......unless it was transported after being built, the chain dropped, and it was sitting on that exact spot for a pretty rough trip. Which seems unlikely. Something made quite a bit of contact with the exact spot you're missing paint at. It did not fall off due to poor quality.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate this. It feels reassuring to hear that you had no such issues on the previous 2 Time Machines that you owned. I really like how this bike feels and looks. There are also a few more things that would make me beleive that this is in fact a demo ex. There are a scratch on the front wheel, no aerobar pads were included, missing one end plug for the aerobar and it also looks like the aerobar has been adjusted (there are scratches suggesting this). This sucks but I have contacted the dealer with pictures of all defects. Hopefully they will sort this out in a good way.

If anyone else has any more information regarding the paint quality i would really appreciate as much information as possible.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Cake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi - im interested in the 2014 BMC TM01 - has the brake issues been rectified?

does one who suffers a puncture during a race screwed over getting a fix change?

Also any thoughts over the 2014 P3 Ultegra Di2 vs a 2014 BMC TM01 Ultegra Di2?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [azurebl911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google-Fu isn't working well for me today. What's the best aero frame bottle that allows storage for tube and co2 kit for the Tri bikes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any insight to BB30 power meter compatibility? I bought a Specialized S-Works BB30 crankset and the Power2Max Type S powermeter, but when installed the power meter rubs the edge of the frame. Hoping to stay with a BB30 crankset - anyone know if a S-Works Quarq fits, or something else?

Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to run the power 2 max type-s S-works crankset by using a 1mm spacer on the drive side. If that is still too close try 2- 1mm spacers. Loved the setup once I shimmed it a bit. Hopefully it works so you don't have to get a new setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no luck so I ended up taking it to the LBS (which I almost NEVER do). They're very good, very professional. They tried using more than 1mm in spacers, and said they were unable to get the crank to tighten properly without overloading the BB30 bearing.

Looks like I'm pretty screwed.

Last edited by: IKnowEverything: Jan 29, 15 1:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the bad luck. I had the newest s-works crank with the 3 tiny bolts that operated as bearing tensioners. To make up for the 2 mm on the drive side I removed the outer part of the bearing tensioner, keeping the overall total width. This of, course moves the chainline out slightly and might cause fit issue for some. I never had a problem, but I recognize it is certainly not ideal. Hope you find more success in other cranks. Maybe you can find someone to trade for a Rotor or bb386 crank. (not sure if the cannondale power2max has similiar issues with the tm01).
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - I have the new style crank too. I had figured about maybe trying that, or machining down the spacer - but I decided that I'm not going to hack apart expensive parts or have the chainline out of whack due to someone else's design being incompatible. It's rare that I pay full MSRP (I'm a bit of an ebay/bargain shopper) - but I did actually pay full price directly from the company in this case. I did that specifically because I wanted the customer service should there be any expensive issues that would arise.

Appreciate the help!

Last edited by: IKnowEverything: Jan 29, 15 1:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello from Italy,

quite happy owner of a TM02 2014 with Ultegra (blue sky colur).
the bike is fine and smooth on flat, quite happy also about rolling course, but it has some major issues that create problems or discomfort in everyone from the beginner to the experienced.

- front fork hit the frame when you need to turn more than some degrees. Usually we do not need to turn so much while riding, but it can be annoying when need to place the bike in the car. Even can be dangerous if you need to avoid with "hard" turn some unexpected obstacles or strict u-turns
- the rear brake is absolutely awful, its brake power is tooooo weak. More than that cleaning the part is always quite tricky and you need some special tools for adjusting brake pad when wheel change is needed. I have cut a standard allen key for the work, but requires patience
- lock system for the seatpost is weird and the closing bolt has the extreme risk to touch or even puncture the internal frame

in general I am happy with the bike, but these engineering issues shouldn't be present in such an high-end brand

all the best !

Marco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

IKnowEverything - you should have an email with some proposed solutions :-).

For those interested: the Specialized crankset has a very short axle, which means the power meter sits close to the frame. The inner diameter of the power meter is 57mm, which is (normally) ample clearance for the 42mm BB30 bore. It seems that the TM01 is a bit "oddly shaped" in that area, which leads to the rubbing. There are two things that one can do:
- Use a wave washer on the non drive side instead of the stock one and add a small spacer on the drive side.
- Use the Type S without the plastic cover on the back, but keep the rubber plugs installed. It doesn't affect water proofing. If one goes this route you should still check that there is no rubbing.
- Use a different model like Rotor 3D+ or FSA BB386EVO.

We should have you up and running soon.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [scottim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scottim wrote:
- front fork hit the frame when you need to turn more than some degrees. Usually we do not need to turn so much while riding, but it can be annoying when need to place the bike in the car. Even can be dangerous if you need to avoid with "hard" turn some unexpected obstacles or strict u-turns
- the rear brake is absolutely awful, its brake power is tooooo weak. More than that cleaning the part is always quite tricky and you need some special tools for adjusting brake pad when wheel change is needed. I have cut a standard allen key for the work, but requires patience
- lock system for the seatpost is weird and the closing bolt has the extreme risk to touch or even puncture the internal frame

I'm not familiar with the issue of turning on TM02. I will say that the turning radius on a TM01 is horrible. I just learned to live with this "characteristic" of the bike. My riding buddies find it hilarious that I have to pick up my bike and turn it to get around the hairpin going up to G.W. Bridge (NYC people know what I'm talking about). At the end of the day, it's a TT bike so the primary concern is for this thing to go fast in a straight line. It's always gonna be a little bit like bambi on ice, compared to a road bike. I'm curious how other TT bikes with an external steerer do in the turning radius department. Eyeballing the new Scott Plasma, it doesn't look better than the TM01.

As for the rear brake adjustment, yeah, it really sucks. For that reason, I ended up getting a few sets of rims from the same rim width. I hate adjusting brakes on the TM01. However, the point I keep coming back to is, if you buy this bike, you already know it's not gonna be a one-bike-fits-all solution. The so-called super bikes almost all have a Integration vs Serviceability trade off. If you have the right expectation, then you won't be disappointed.

As for your last point, I wasn't aware of this issue and would really like to hear more. It's not clear to me which bolt is problematic?

#KISPERFORMANCE
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [azurebl911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I upgraded my TM01 to DI2 but somehow lost during build-up some spare parts (yeah, should have been more careful :( )

Does anyone know how important the plastic housing, which comes under the metallic pipe, at the brake is. (see page 23, pic 7)

What would happen without it? Or any ideas what I could use instead?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [hiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiddy wrote:
What would happen without it? Or any ideas what I could use instead?

It will reallllly increase the friction on the brake cable if you don't have the cable liner. You can buy cable liner at your LBS for nearly nothing. They will probably just hand you a section. You want a section with a little edge to it to keep it in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are we buying TM01 stem wedges and spacers? I have a used bike and need to adjust my position.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They took back the scratched one and sent a new. Received it today, not a scratch (yet). Here is a picture of my new bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
where are we buying TM01 stem wedges and spacers? I have a used bike and need to adjust my position.

Evans Cycles. Other people have suggested this also and they are good about shipping to US.

http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=BMC+TM01&x=0&y=0

#KISPERFORMANCE
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [fabricatedyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know that size wrench I need to adjust the saddle position/switch out saddles? I've never done it before, but looking at it, it seems I need to loosen up the bolt that's hiding under the seat. Am I correct in saying this?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Does anyone know that size wrench I need to adjust the saddle position/switch out saddles? I've never done it before, but looking at it, it seems I need to loosen up the bolt that's hiding under the seat. Am I correct in saying this?

You are correct. You will also be a much happier person if you use a 13mm ratchet wrench (assuming you have the clearance between rails and saddle).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338399-25428-85678_0__?productId=3387706

Last edited by: dangle: Feb 12, 15 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooooooooooh purty!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [fabricatedyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably the greatest thread i have come across so far! Haha

Wanted to pop my head in here but I am riding a TM02 2014. Love the black and orange yellow and red. So far just stocked with 105s on it besides the new seat I threw on it from my old bike but super stoked for the nice weather so i can finally ride outside.

Just excited there is a thread of BMC owners. Looking forward in learning more about these machines!!!

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recently picked up a TT02 from a friend who's getting out of the sport. Would any of you guys running the older time machines be able to help me out with the std length on the seat post? I've got a large and can get all of the fit details where I want with the exception of saddle height, with the saddle in the correct position I have very little seat-post left in the frame, like 5-6cm, definitely not enough. The length looks odd running around 26-27cm which makes me think its been cut.
Quote Reply

Prev Next