Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [101001101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need some advice on a possible TM02 purchase. Found a year-end closeout deal on a 2014 TM02 (my dream bike) for $2,250. I've always wanted to build up a TM02 with Di2 and the shop agreed to do it for very close to cost. I'm looking at about $3800 out the door...what do you guys think? The size is M-S. I've never ridden a BMC before but based on stack and reach, it SHOULD fit (I have a Felt B16 52cm that's slightly too long for me, so I'm looking for ~510 / 390mm).

What do you guys think? I'm about 5'6, 30" inseam if that helps.

Unfortunately, I'm on deployment and can't test-ride anything for at least 7 more months...but I really want to pull the trigger on my "welcome home" gift right now - and I don't think this deal is going to be around in the future.

Second question: would it be worth upgrading crankset and calipers to Ultegra for another $300?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [tacetman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey man, I'm afraid to say but I think M-S is too large for you. The stack isn't an issue but the reach might be. I'm 5'9 w/ 31in inseem and I setup my TM01 with the saddle jammed all the way forward and shortest possible stem configuration to get low enough while still being able to rotate my hip properly. You might be able to get the stems even shorter on a TM02 but hard to imagine.

I considered going with a S myself but ended up getting a M-S and to be honest, I don't think I made the right choice. I know everyone's proportions are different so I can only offer anecdotal evidence based on myself.

*** Correction 12/26/2014 ***

I just realized that the Small TM01 has a longer reach than M-S and remembered that was the reason I decided to go with M-S, instead of S.

#KISPERFORMANCE
Last edited by: azurebl911: Dec 26, 14 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
Just got a TM01 that I bought from a store that unfortunately are closing their doors… Was told that everything was included, but when I open up the box today, I only had one spacer and only one angles spacer.. Missing the 30 deg angled spacer and the 20mm spacer, plus the bolts for the 20mm and 10+20mm and of course for the 30mm… Plus then there's the rubber plugs that cover the bolt holes in the stem.

Anyone knows where these can be ordered? With the store closing their doors (and yes, they are/were BMC dealers, so no grey market stuff!), I can't expect much help from them...

I got in touch with BMC and I'm getting everything through R&A cycle. Awesome level of service!!!!

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding wheels: I'm about to get a Lightweight Disc/ VR8 wheelset and wanted to make sure, they fit in the frame of a TM01. Anyone have experience with this set up?

I'll post pictures as soon as I have them :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [101001101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm exactly your height and this is a Large Frame...
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [noehry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noehry wrote:
Regarding wheels: I'm about to get a Lightweight Disc/ VR8 wheelset and wanted to make sure, they fit in the frame of a TM01. Anyone have experience with this set up?

I'll post pictures as soon as I have them :)

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Last edited by: Tillquist: Dec 15, 14 23:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at a TM01 and have a few questions -

First, I'm a little over 5'10 and had a retul fit which when I put the numbers into the BMC calculator has me on a M-L (this is a new position for me and pretty aggressive). My local retailer thinks I would be better off on a M-S. Reading this thread makes me think he might be right. (I currently ride a 56 road bike with a 130mm stem and bars with 80mm reach if that matters.) Thoughts?

Second, I'm looking at a used 2013 in good condition with UDi2. I think I can get it near $4k. That seems like a good price to me, I was wondering if anyone else had a different thought.

Third, I'll be riding it with HED Stinger wheels. I understand that the collective lessons learned from this board says that wheels that width can be made to fit and work well. Is my understanding correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't see the picture, but I'm assuming, it's one of a nice looking TM01 with an Autobahn disc :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [noehry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My BMC TM 01

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Sabella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My new 2015 TM02.

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
island rider wrote:
First, I'm a little over 5'10 and had a retul fit which when I put the numbers into the BMC calculator has me on a M-L (this is a new position for me and pretty aggressive). My local retailer thinks I would be better off on a M-S. Reading this thread makes me think he might be right. (I currently ride a 56 road bike with a 130mm stem and bars with 80mm reach if that matters.) Thoughts?

I'm also 5'-10" and I went with the ML. The difference between the MS and ML is all in the reach (377 vs. 418) so if you know your reach from your fit that should give you a good indication. Did you get fit at the same retailer that's suggesting the MS? If so, did they give you a reason?

The aero position feels a little aggressive to me compared to what I was previously riding (road bike w/aero bars), but in a comfortable way. I think I would've been too upright on the MS. Good luck with it!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,
just got a new tm01 and facing afew problems with the setup, which is a bitch cause I can't wait to take it out for a ride.

My LBS tells me that the rear brake can't really acccomodate a 23mm rim, as there's the brake pad fastening bolt that will push against the rim if the last spacer is taken out to increase the clearance.

Attached in the pics below are of the rear brake with a 21mm rim.
The clearance already is very little.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this? remove the fastening bolt?

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [raptor03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try a different brake pad by chance? My friend had the Zipp's brake pads but they were a little more thicker.... I had a spare set of Reynolds Blue pads and he was able to install his disc wheel with no issues at all...... Hope this helps you out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't have a different set of pads to switch with.. but yeah I hear the zipp cork ones are good though.

weird thing is the owner's manual states that it can handle a 23mm, but My rear brake's having issues with that.... so yeah was wondering if anyone else experienced this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a P5 and my friend has one like yours.... We both did the same Reynolds Pad and all work great for both of us.... The only other possibility I can see would be to shave your brake pads.....meaning sanding them in a true manner to keep them as even as possible.
Last edited by: Jimster: Dec 25, 14 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on my phone or I would find it for you but look for my post on brakes in this thread. In fact this thread is full of great brake guidance. I run a zipp disc which is 25mm +. Pull the spacer and look at the guidance and you should be good.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raptor03 wrote:

My LBS tells me that the rear brake can't really acccomodate a 23mm rim

Hey man, congrats on the new bike. You can definitely run as wide as 25mm rims on a TM01 - I myself run that for both my training and race setup. I'm using SwissStop pads but also used some other off brand cork pads with no problem.

When I switched to SwissStop pads, I had to back the pad holders almost all the way against the calipers. You may know already but you do this by moving the spacers from one side of the calipers to the other. See pg 26 of the manual for what I mean. This is all I did to get my brakes to accommodate my 25mm rim.

If that fails, there are some people who remove the posts that regulates the stance of the brake calipers (pg 21, last illustration, part #4 "brake stoppers"). That will allow the calipers to move as wide as the brake pads will allow. I don't see any concerns about removing those stoppers so I don't hesitate to recommend it to you either. Really can't think of a down side.

All in all, I'm very surprised you're having problems with a 23mm. It's definitely resolvable. Oh and your LBS probably doesn't deserve your business.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/fileadmin/files/documents/04_Support/Manuals/TM01/TM01_OwnersManual2012_EN.pdf

#KISPERFORMANCE
Last edited by: azurebl911: Dec 29, 14 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raptor03,
I have a TM01 and run 808 firecrest on mine, Just get a set screw to replace the Fastening bolt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TM01 works with a 23mm rim. Simplest thing is to rasp about 1mm of each brake pad. If you look in the manual it will say compatible with "customized brake pads", which means exactly that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Poseidon2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, appreciate all the responses.

I managed to solve the rear brake issue by simply using a different set of brake pad holders with perpendicular fastening screws (similar to the ones @Tiremaniacs prescribed in page 12).

Curious question here though, you guys are saying that you run 25mm firecrest rims without shaving the brake pads, and only removing all the spacers? seems to contradict the bmc manual. I'm asking as I'm considering some zipps too, but was wondering if i need sandpaper for the job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to replace the headset bearings of my tm01, and i didny find then, could someone tell to me where i find the bearings..?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raptor03 wrote:
Hey guys, appreciate all the responses.

I managed to solve the rear brake issue by simply using a different set of brake pad holders with perpendicular fastening screws (similar to the ones @Tiremaniacs prescribed in page 12).

Curious question here though, you guys are saying that you run 25mm firecrest rims without shaving the brake pads, and only removing all the spacers? seems to contradict the bmc manual. I'm asking as I'm considering some zipps too, but was wondering if i need sandpaper for the job.

You can use Kool Stops without having the shave them because they have a thinner profile.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I just bought a new TM02 model year 2013 of the web last week. It came with fairly large paint lumps missing from the frame under the front gears (at least i think its just paint missing, dont think the carbon is damaged). I have seen some posts about paint chips on TimeMachines in the past, is there a problem with the paint job on these bikes? does the paint chip more easily than other bikes? and if so does anyone know if it has been fixed in later model years?

My bike:

I have been thinking a lot of how I should handle this, if i should just return it and get another bike brand or if i should have it replaced with the same model (I really like how it fits and looks, but if the paint will chip of im not sure if i want it). I have also seen photos like this one: http://images.evanscycles.com/...ium-long-soiled-.jpg which has chiped paint over the fork. Does anyone have these kinds of problems with their bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [mikra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikra wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a new TM02 model year 2013 of the web last week.

Are you sure that's "new" or a demo? It looks like the chain has been dropped several times on that frame. There's no reason for paint to be chipping there on any frame unless a chain has dropped off the rings and slapped it that area. It should be just cosmetic. You could even take your crank set off (like you will be doing any time you want to touch the rear brake) and throw some paint on there if you want.

IMO, a chain catcher is a pretty great addition to nearly any bike. Protect your paint and never worry dropping a chain in a race. No (I'm guessing) aero penalty and only a few grams. You might want to add one to yours in addition to getting that front derailleur set up perfectly and not putting too much power into the pedals when downshifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
mikra wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a new TM02 model year 2013 of the web last week.

Are you sure that's "new" or a demo? It looks like the chain has been dropped several times on that frame. There's no reason for paint to be chipping there on any frame unless a chain has dropped off the rings and slapped it that area. It should be just cosmetic. You could even take your crank set off (like you will be doing any time you want to touch the rear brake) and throw some paint on there if you want.

IMO, a chain catcher is a pretty great addition to nearly any bike. Protect your paint and never worry dropping a chain in a race. No (I'm guessing) aero penalty and only a few grams. You might want to add one to yours in addition to getting that front derailleur set up perfectly and not putting too much power into the pedals when downshifting.

It should not be a demo ex from the information on their site. I agree it feels like that for me to but i have also read about paint chipping in another thread and also seen paint chips missing as in the link that I attached to my previous post. I Was just wondering if there is any issues with the quality of paint on these bikes?
Quote Reply

Prev Next