Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I continue to have problems with the lid for my draft box coming off when hitting bumps. I have the replacement lid (not original). I lost my tire lever in a race last weekend, but fortunately had no flat. Any ideas to secure? Is a better solution in the works?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [shelgemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those who had this issue with the original lid used tape, I believe. It remains to be seen if the rate of occurrence on the new lid approaches that of the old one...and that would depend on all claims, not just the ones here on Slowtwitch.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
should i post something and ask who else has had problems or talk to trek? my dealer said that i'm not alone with that problem (lid of draft box coming off- even with "improved" version)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [shelgemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
posting here does nothing to get it recorded in our warranty & service system...only working with your dealer does that.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next question: I want to buy the Garmin Vector for my SC 9.9. I don't have the bike yet but would like to order asap so the everything arrives around the same time. What size Vectors do I order? 12-15 mm spindle with 38 or 44mm pod or the 15-18mm spindle with the 44 mm pod? I cannot find the information anywhere and yes I have actually looked.

DA FC-9000 cranks, 170mm.

Thanks Carl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl: Sizing question per the SC Fit chart.

Current measurements from a 2008 P3 size 58:

BB to back of aerobar pads: 446 (center of pad = 486)
Armpad Stack: 675 (aggressive) to 695 (moderate) -- I'd prefer the fit range using the spacer options only, not a change of stem. Change of spacer depending upon length of race. Electronic shifting so cable changes would be simplified.
Basebar height: 619 (can go +/- 2cm without issue)
Saddle height 796.

My saddle is an SMP PRO, so a little longer nose and I sit further back on the saddle, so the saddle sits pretty far forward on the existing clamp.

The chart seems to fit best for an XL frame and medium far stem. I'm only 6' tall but have a taller saddle height due to 165mm cranks. I'm not at the extremes of leg length as my inseam is 32".

Does this seem right?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mexpedip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the relevant crank dimensions to plug into Garmin's picker tool, I get 13mm and 40mm on the 9000 cranks.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your plan to have a 2cm pad stack range and doing so without changing stems is the only reason you're in the XL portion of the chart...nothing else about your fit or other measurements would have made me think anything beyond a Large. If you stick with that plan I might suggest going with the medium-near stem vs the medium far...both can hit your fit, but your pad reach is closer to the heart of the medium-near's range than the medium-far's.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to jump on the power2max black friday sale for my SC 7 series. Just to confirm, it's BB86, right?

Also, I had the Apex groupset from my 2.5 put onto a 7 series frame (warranty -- thanks, guys!) and I just want to make sure I get the right set up with the same crank length... Would you happen to know the length of the cranks that came on the 2011 SC 2.5? And I'm planning on using the same rings for now, so would it be 110 or 130?

Thanks!

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the old 7series is BB86, the 2014 is BB90. either way, so long as you can get a GXP version of the P2M it'll drop right in to the bearings you've got for the Apex

your Apex crank length will be stamped on the inside of the crankarm near the pedal spindle hole. BCD is often similarly noted on the outside of the big chainring on SRAM cranks...but if you don't see it there just check your inner ring size: if 34, it's 110...if 39, it's 130.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Carl!

Just to confirm, this one would drop right into the existing bb, negating the need to buy the optional bb86 bracket?

http://www.power2max.com/...er-meter-and-cranks/

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't tell...all I can see there is they have a 24mm crank spindle...that's true of both GXP and Shimano.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it is an FSA crank with the P2M. I would guess that is a Shimano style powermeter. This means 24mm crank spindle on both sides of the BB. Your current SRAM GPX BB has a 24mm inner diameter bearing on the drive side and a 22mm id bearing on the NDS.

I would suggest contacting P2M to confirm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late to the game but i'm finally jumping on the Speed Concept train and picked up a *MINT* 2011 9.9. I'm coming from a 2011 Transition XXL and trying to confirm which stem to go with. The SC frame i got is a XL since my inseam is 36"

Measurements from my transition:

pad stack 660
pad reach 530 (recently switched to a 100stem from a 90 and was more comfortable on the 90)
base bar stack 630
base bar reach 650
saddle height 840

From the SC Fit chart i found, it looks like the 100/10 will suit me best

Could i get some insight from you, Carl?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those fit #s on that size frame, looks like you found the most appropriate setup. Basebar will be lower and longer than what you're used to, but the pad position is right in the heart of the adjustment range where it should be.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick repsonse
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl-

I have a 2012 speed concept 7.2. I recently took advantage of the power2max deal and bought the "Type S FSA K-Force Light BB386EVO" power meter and cranks ( http://www.power2max.com/...er-meter-and-cranks/ ). I got the "FSA BB386EVO bottom bracket for BB86" bottom bracket to fit after being told I have a BB86 bottom bracket by the dealer I bought the bike.

He is trying to install the crank today and is telling me it will not fit. I don't have any experience with dealing with bottom brackets, but it sounds like he is telling me the diameter fits, but there is a step on the molded frame's cups that is too shallow (axially) to fit the sleeve into.

Please advise how to solve this if it is solvable.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike shop is saying I need these bearings to make it work.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id375.html

Please advise if this is accurate. I've pretty much lost all faith in his word at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy zilla-

Short version: Yes, you have a BB86 frame. No, your new BB and cranks are probably not compatible. And it's not necessarily your shop guy's fault.

Longer: When your bike was designed (2009-2010), BB86 was based on 24mm crank spindles. BB386 (introduced in 2011) is a variant of BB30, which uses a 30mm spindle, and that by itself is enough to guarantee incompatibility with any of the SC models based on bearing size (more on that later).

With the recent (2013?) arrival of BB86-BB386 "adapters" like this one from FSA things got confusing because now you had a 30mm-based system claiming BB86 compatibility. That might be a valid claim for other brands' frames, but it sounds like there are clearance requirements for those adapters which are not going to be accounted for in your BB86 frame. Could be true of other brands' older BB86 frames too.

The bearings you link to in the other post might allow your cranks to fit in your frame, I don't know for sure...but here's the thing: people have tried to do the undersized bearing workaround for 30mm-in-24mm BBs for quite a while, and I've yet to hear that it ended well. There are examples on this forum. I've seen some of the bearings used...have some at my desk right now in fact. There's no way I'd trust them to last as long as the right sized bearings, and the drag on them is significant.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wellllllllll that blows, thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know what sort of return or exchange policy is available to you, but it sounds like they do have a model which should drop right in on your existing BB (if you didn't change the bike from stock, which was a SRAM S350 crank I believe)...at least that's what I'm gathering from this post.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Those who had this issue with the original lid used tape, I believe. It remains to be seen if the rate of occurrence on the new lid approaches that of the old one...and that would depend on all claims, not just the ones here on Slowtwitch.

let me join the roll call of those who need to use tape on the new lid too. I did not for the first 4-6 months, but then the "tongue" that holds the lid on has become less rigid and doesn't get the same friction against that hole along the back where the "button" fits into. I opened the box before/after every ride to put my phone in there during that 4-6 month period. Fortunately, the first time it popped open I only lost a gel, not my phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a SC. Im 5'9" and currently ride a BMC tm01 size Medium-short. What size do you think I should be on? And what stem setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

just stumbled upon this. I'm puzzled that there should be a fit issue, because the BB386EVO version of the FSA is designed in a way that the installed part (the power meter on the cranks) is outside of the bottom bracket plane. So even when the bottom bracket shell is very bulky, as long as it keeps within 86mm, there should not be any issues. I imagine there must be another issue at play.

@Zilla: could you ask the shop to take pictures and maybe we can look at these to figure out what's going on?

A small side point on bearings on 30mm axles in BB86: we haven't received any complaints to date that longevity or drag is higher. The FSA design of the EE120 bottom bracket (BB386EVO for BB86) is particularly nice, because it uses two rows of bearing balls instead of one.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [markcleblanc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without your armpad coordinates I can only guess on the frame size (probably medium).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next