Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2014 Long Course Nats
Quote | Reply
http://www.usatriathlon.org/...l-championships.aspx

What does this REALLY mean? Obviously you wouldn't need to qualify, right?
What makes this a champ race?

Im from GR, have done the race 3 yrs, and LOVE it. RD's do an amazing job.

Just kinda wondering about 'the rest of the story'

Thanks

Michigan Awesome

Hand2Hand Ministries
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Long Course Nats [krozema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already registered and coming from TX, would like to know some great places to eat and see while there.....

Its a Nat Champ for one reason because its a Q for ITU LC Worlds in Sweden for 2015.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Long Course Nats [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, USAT has to have qualifying races for Team USA each year. I think in the past they have had qualifying races for the Natl champs, but the actual long course nat's has never really garnered enough participation to be it's own race. There will be more people who show up to this race because it's a Natl championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes it a great race? I ask because I'm looking for a half for that weekend next year. I'm leaning toward the Kansas 70.3, but I saw this posted the other day and it's a possibility. I've never heard of the race so I don't know anything about it. I live in Madison, WI so the drive wouldn't be too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It means USAT finally got the contracts in place to make the official announcement. Grand Rapids Tri had it on their website a month ago. You don't have to qualify to enter the GR HIM, but you do have to 'qualify' if you want to race for Team USA in the ITU World Long Course Championships at Motola, Sweden in 2015.

This should bring more people to the GR HIM in 2014 but it will still be easy to qualify compared to IM70.3 Worlds. Since the top 20 in Age Group with roll-down to 25 qualify all you have to do is be in the top 25 to make it since many people will pass on worlds given the expense of going to Sweden. I will be surprised if some of the older age groups even have 25 finishers. Because of this, USAT often designates a few other races as secondary qualifiers to help fill out the team. But you can't count on that, so if you want to go to Sweden in 2015 then Grand Rapids is your destination next June.

FYI - ITU Worlds at Sweden will be contested at the triple olympic distance, not a HIM.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Long Course Nats [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really wanting to do this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triple Olympic distance? Hmmmm. Intriguing. Even the swim? That's longer than an IM. Which is fine with me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Long Course Nats [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
Triple Olympic distance? Hmmmm. Intriguing. Even the swim? That's longer than an IM. Which is fine with me.

The swim is 4000m compared to the IM 3800m. Per ITU announcement on 2015 World LC: "Event organisers have proposed a 2-lap 4km swim, 3-lap 120km bike, and 3-lap 30km course for the 21st edition of one of the most grueling events on the ITU schedule."

However, I did ITU World LC (Triple O) in Holland back in 2008 and we went well past 4K...something like 2.8 miles. The bike and run were on target. Regardless, the Triple O definitely favors swimmers and the training is closer to an IM than a HIM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a date for 2015 LC worlds?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Long Course Nats [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have not set an exact date, but they are going to hold it the same weekend as the Vatternrundan Peoples Bike Ride which I understand to be the biggest/longest in the world. That is held annually in late June so expect late June 2015.

"VÄTTERNRUNDAN STAGE THE ITU LONG DISTANCE TRIATHLON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2015
In the summer of 2015 the city of Motala will be hosting the long distance triathlon World Championship. The event coincides with the 50th anniversary of Vätternrundan."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the bike and run course like, elevation/hills? any?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Long Course Nats [runobx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runobx wrote:
What is the bike and run course like, elevation/hills? any?[/quote] Found the following:

Date is set: 27 Jun 2015, same day as the 50th anniversary of the world's largest bike event (Vatternrundan).

Swim - "In the beautiful bay of Motala, where the water sometimes can be vivid and challenging, the athlete’s will swim 2×2 kilometers. The new magnificent bridge is now finished and one of its piers is a good mark to focus on during the long swim."

Bike - "The cycling will take place out on the plain of the region Östergötland, on a 40 kilometers out-and-back-course east of Motala. With quite a demanding uphill on each lap and with a possible powerful wind as the worst enemy, three laps will be done on the otherwise flat course."

Run - "The running will be three laps on a 10 kilometers course where the asphalt meets one of Motala’s most beautiful recreation areas and the contact with Lake Vättern will make the run a joy."

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Long Course Nats [runobx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total gain & loss: 1 meter for each...up on the bike, then off.
Quote Reply