Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the TM01 what angled spacers did you get?
I appear to have 2 that are the same, not sure which one its supposed to be 30 or 10 deg, but I want to get the bars lower and its not doing the job.
Its the less tall version if that makes sense!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Marcell_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to the stem?

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [corduroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are three spacers. You can refer to the installation manual on their website for help.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [corduroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well there are supposed to be 2 angled 10 deg and 30 deg and 3 spacers.
I have 2 angled ones that are both the same! And I think I need the other one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meaning you don't have the 30 or the 10? Ask your dealer or go to a dealer and order the other one. The manuals are here: http://www.bmc-racing.com/...als-and-guides-tm01/, grab it identify which one you don't have and note the part number (page 30). Don't forget you can flip the stem. Page 6,7 and 8 are very helpful to see the different configurations possible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [fabricatedyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have issues with the bolt that holds the front cover for the brakes? Mine is too long and rubs against the front tire.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have the BMC TM01 and I am having some fit issues, mostly on longer rides my lower back (mostly left side) starts hurting after 2:30 or 3:00 mostly with headwinds and not climbing rides. I am wondering how I can raise the aerobars/armpads up or back more, my bike seems to have the biggest spacer in the front headset and I also tried spacers below the armpads but that didn't work and my lower back still hurts. What about risers ? Has anyone had any luck with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [aimee7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a lot of that depends on the aero bars you are using and how adjustable they are. Some allow more fore/aft adjustment. Some accommodate risers better than others. If youre at the minimum on fit, you may have needed a smaller size.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on a small. I am 5'6" and have long legs and a short torso. I think it's the right size just that my front end is too far away and low down and I don't know how to bring it closer or higher. I have the T2 profile design cobrawing aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you meant viper wing. The bracket for the armrests is integrated with the clamp on bracket. If you want your pads further back you could switch to this bracket to mount the armrests and bars more aft of the basebar. Then use these to raise the bars up. BMC TM01 are great as long as you arent on the ends of the fit spectrum for a size. They have a lot of fitting options in the mid range but not as much if you need more or less than originally intended.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [fabricatedyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven't been around the forum for a while. just dropped by and saw this thread, so here's some shots of my tm02. hasn't had a chance to hit the roads but i've been on the trainer for a month or so getting it dialed in...a big improvement over my tt02. btw, i'm 5'11" and opted for the size m/s. works fine for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you may have been better on the med/short. the odd sizing range on the time machines confuses a lot of people. the small is actually longer (more reach) than the med/short and has a shorter head tube (less stack). i was having trouble deciding between the small (it had the right reach for me) and the med/short (a little shorter but higher stack). the medium/long would have been too long. i went with the med/short and got a 120 stem to replace my 100. it worked out fine and i know i would have had trouble with the shorter head tube on the small. i would have had a shorter stem and a big stack of spacers under it.

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I was thinking the same thing and asked my LBS, but they insisted that I was a true small. I think I am going to need to fix the situation with risers/spacers or moving around the aerobars and fixing the positioning myself since Retul (20 times at least for my re-fitting) has been a waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [ahaftel7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was replying to aimee17, who stated that the size small put the put the bars too far away and too low. the med/short would bring the bars closer (shorter reach) and higher (taller stack), possibly solving the dilemma. if you (ahaftel7) are having the same issue (or are the same person), then the same applies. this is a quirk of the bmc sizing system...the small is actually a medium with a short head tube and the med/short is a small with a tall head tube. check the sizing chart and you'll see. retul is a measuring tool/ fitting system, so going through the process 20 times should produce the same result. not being able to achieve that fit on your bike indicates that the frame may not be one that can produce the proper fit. retul, like any tool, is only as good as the person using it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from an earlier post. using figure 1-4 will achieve the tallest, closest bar positions possible. looking at the chart, you can see that the med/short frame (pink) will give you a range of much higher stack and shorter reach than possible with the size small (green).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have seen this chart with the appropriate spacers, I even requested BMC send me the additional spacers, but how do I know that my bike uses the #1 - #4? I think that I have it on the highest spacer setting, but how can I be sure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
post a picture of your stem setup. the frameset includes two different angled spacers and two different thicknesses of neutral spacers. the pics on the supplied chart show the various combinations that can be used. #1-4 are the tallest/closest combinations that can be assembled. your frame can use any of these combinations, depending what you are trying to achieve. the other chart (with the colored dots) shows where the various combinations fall on a stack/reach chart (bb-bar clamp). a pic of your current setup, along with an explanation of what you are trying to do, would help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problem is that after riding 2:30-3 hours my lower back (mostly left side) hurts, this only happens in aero position mostly on flats not climbs. I've tried adjusting a few things, RETUL at least 8x, moving my bike seat back and forth, up and down slightly.

I'm trying to put the spacers under the aero bars in order to make the aero bars either higher up or closer in reach to me. I will also take a picture of me on the bike so you can see my setup in another email.

ANY IDEAS of how to fix this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looking at your pics (from what i can tell on my phone), it appears you are using position #1. trying #2, 3, or 4 will raise your bars but also move them further away. it looks like you have lots of room to move your seat forward (also raise it slightly if you do this). that would open up your hip angle, reducing stress on your lower back, and move you closer to the bars. i'd also see if there is a way to move the elbow pads on your bars back. if so, you could move the extensions back the same amount. i repeat that you probably should be on the med/short instead of the small, but try these things to see if they help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this doesn't work anyone willing to trade me a Medium/Short for my Small? I have a TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your core muscles are getting tired, I would do some core-specific excercise off the bike and see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [VP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I've been doing lots of core exercises. I have a 12 pack now! It's not the core that's the weak link...I think it's the fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aimee I would echo the move the seat forward comment and go to a higher stem (2,3,4). You may also wish to go to a set of elbow pads that can come back further. Zipp Vuka are very good at this.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Poseidon2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for al if the suggestions. I put the spacer on the stem last night, the flat one that's not quite an inch in width, in addition to already having the 30 degree angle spacer. My back felt fantastic I was in Aero position for a shorter ride, 1:40. Not one back problem at all! We will see how it feels for my long ride this weekend. Now I can go ahead and tweak my seat position to be a bit closer to the front - aero bars.

Now I just have to figure out if this larger flat spacer works best or if the shorter one works.

What would your suggestions be? Trial and error? I can try to take a picture of my position on the bike although without a trainer it might be difficult ;)
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next