Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shaun who?
Quote | Reply
Guess he's done. He is accused of chickening out of the one sport and then finishes off the podium in his main event.

I'm not into his sport, and don't know anything about the guy, but was getting a little tired of every snowboard owning teenager with braces and pimples telling us he is the greatest athlete ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the greatest athlete (by a long shot), but he did a good job marketing himself and getting paid while he was still in his window.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not the greatest athlete (by a long shot), but he did a good job marketing himself and getting paid while he was still in his window."

X2.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'd rather spoon out my eyeball than characterize any snowboarder/skateboarder as the greatest athlete ever, but it seems like White has been dominant in his sport for a long time. All things come to an end.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think I'd rather spoon out my eyeball than characterize any snowboarder/skateboarder as the greatest athlete ever,"

The wife just informed me that he actually grew up with a very poor background and did very well for himself. Wife is usually right about these sort of things so I won't argue. Kudos to the kid for doing so well for himself in his life and discipline, but he's sure not the greatest athlete in the games, and it is a fringe sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done or not, the guy has a good marketing team behind him which is the greatest reward from the games. Clothing, games, gum, socks, wigs, etc, not to mention a rock band...all from a cute kid being goofy on a snowboard is a lot to gain. For many athletes to be able to perform twice in the olympics is a big deal. Three times, even bigger so if things do not go as expected it can be disappointing but not the end of the world.

Quote | Reply
"Clothing, games, gum, socks, wigs, etc, not to mention a rock band..."

This type of stuff comes and goes quite quickly. Soon forgot until you get to my age and reflect back on your youth. :-) I hope Shaun goes on to become a corporate CEO or somethig rather than this be the high lite of the rest of his life.

I hope Bode goes out better this olympics. He was #1 in qualifying in the first event but messed it up. Let's hope he does better in # 2 event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well shit, he didn't win gold for the 3rd consecutive Olympics, so I guess he's a washed-up has been. Forget the fact he posted the highest score in qualifications by 3.5 points (95.75). Can't be perfect every run. He'll be back...
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He'll be back..."

Maybe another gen-x games or so but no way another Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> I hope Shaun goes on to become a corporate CEO or somethig

He's already a CEO. Shaun White Enterprises. Which has a clothing line at Target.

>Maybe another gen-x games or so but no way another Olympics.

Why not? Tony Hawk was shredding half pipe (skating) into this thirties. I think landed the first 900 at the X Games at like 32 or 33 or something. Shaun's 27.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how tough his upbringing was but I believe he signed his first endorsement contract at 7.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you're due for more punishment. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found it funny that the Canadian's who were riding him so hard about pulling out of slopestyle did not win either. That was the best part.

The pipe today was crap. Everyone had to deal with and kudos to I-pod but anyone could have won today given how sketchy it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tony Hawk was .."

Tony who?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!

cerveloguy wrote:
"Tony Hawk was .."

Tony who?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
"Clothing, games, gum, socks, wigs, etc, not to mention a rock band..."

This type of stuff comes and goes quite quickly. Soon forgot until you get to my age and reflect back on your youth. :-) I hope Shaun goes on to become a corporate CEO or somethig rather than this be the high lite of the rest of his life.

I hope Bode goes out better this olympics. He was #1 in qualifying in the first event but messed it up. Let's hope he does better in # 2 event.
Mr. White is going nowhere anytime soon. He will be rocking out until the break of dawn with his name and face on stuff as long as people continue to admire him. The only thing I see fading soon is the chewing gum which is always on clearance at Target. He will be greater than the great Tony Hawk who starred in Gleaming The Cube.

Quote | Reply
Have your opinions as much as the teenagers you have so much contempt for, but there is no arguing the fact that Shaun was the best at what he did for a very long time.

IMHO there is no such thing as the best athlete ever. there is really no basis for comparison. I've done IM and I've also stood at the top of some of the shit these guys drop into and it's a whole different ball of wax. I've also been a competitive diver and never attempted the stuff these guys pull over frozen water.

Greatest athlete ever? There really is none. But great big balls and a heaping helping of mad skill to go along with it. = Mucho Respect.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would hate to be the guy who was behind Shaun white during the us qualifying rounds for the slope style competition. Shaun White gets the spot, goes to Russia and then drops out. the other poor loser was shit out of luck. If Mr. White thought ahead, some other athlete could have competed in that empty spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought he was pretty full of himself, but I was impressed with his post-loss interview yesterday. It was pretty gracious and he admitted it just wasn't his day. I think he'll be back to another Olympics. This is his life and what he's built his business around. As long as he can still compete at the top, then he will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care for the gen-x sports but I respect the athleticism and pioneering spirit of guys like Shaun White and Tony Hawk, and never understood the hate they got--I guess it's like 90% of hockey fans who hate Crosby, or basketball fans who hate Lebron (though he doesn't help his cause with stunts like this dunk episode this week): hate successful, famous people.

At 27 he's a millionairre many times over and is CEO of a company that will live on through his competitive days, people can hate his popularity and the way the media shoves people down our throats like this but don't hate White for taking advantage of it, he's guaranteed he has a promising future outside snowboarding which is more than most Olympic athletes--even the most successful--can say about themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ti T'war wrote:
... but there is no arguing the fact that Shaun was the best at what he did for a very long time.
... But great big balls and a heaping helping of mad skill to go along with it. = Mucho Respect.

Agree.

Shaun has built a heckuva empire, as did Tony Hawk. Very few pro skateboarders & snowboarders are able to survive & thrive in their sport for years, let alone decades (without completely self-imploding like so many child stars), and what Hawk and White have each done to establish a long-term legacy is very impressive.

My hat's off to the kid.

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets just get some facts straight.

He won gold in the last two Olympics, by a whole hell of a lot. Like, waaaayyyyy better than everyone else. He came into his 3rd Olympics and finished 4th, while actually scoring the highest score in the competition, and being one of only two people in the games being able to land the two hardest tricks.

Lets not forget Ali, Jordan, Gretsky, Pele, and Ruth weren't perfect either.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not true as teams bring reserves for things like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess he won't have such a big head now.

Quote Reply
Re: Shaun who? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it's skill or luck, but he's managed to avoid career ending injuries over a very long time in a very dangerous occupation. Many of his one-time compitors have gone down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next