Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't only limited to endurance sports. Surfing, skateboarding, BMX, MTB, sailing, crew... The list goes on. I really think that it's more about how in AUS/NZ sport is not only praised higher, but it's also more collaborative rather than elitist.

In the US, if you walk into your LBS/running shop/surf shop for the first time, you get a cold shoulder and are shunned until you can prove that you belong. It's the same when you're new to a trail, surf spot, gym, pool... It's a different vibe down under. Joining an alternative sport is celebrated. Most Aussies don't just do one sport, they can do most of them and they just pick what suits them best. Here, in the US, a kid can do one sport and that's it. A surfer's a surfer and can't do anything else, or his surfer friends will call you a poser. That mentality doesn't go away. Look at the ST endurance vs. CF wars.

Just keep swimming...

SebastianAravena.com | facebook | RODS Racing
Rudy Project | Slick Products | Duro Tires | Globe | Ride Live be. | A3 Bar | Tri-Flow | LifeProof | Totally Local
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not enough polarized training.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Really I could care less ..... must have something to do with kangaroos or koala bears ;-)

Dave[/quote]\

Well said... who cares
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [vertseven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you really include rowing in that list???? I'm sorry but NZ/AUS history in rowing is not that deep in comparison to the US. It isn't even close...

vertseven wrote:
This isn't only limited to endurance sports. Surfing, skateboarding, BMX, MTB, sailing, crew... The list goes on. I really think that it's more about how in AUS/NZ sport is not only praised higher, but it's also more collaborative rather than elitist.

In the US, if you walk into your LBS/running shop/surf shop for the first time, you get a cold shoulder and are shunned until you can prove that you belong. It's the same when you're new to a trail, surf spot, gym, pool... It's a different vibe down under. Joining an alternative sport is celebrated. Most Aussies don't just do one sport, they can do most of them and they just pick what suits them best. Here, in the US, a kid can do one sport and that's it. A surfer's a surfer and can't do anything else, or his surfer friends will call you a poser. That mentality doesn't go away. Look at the ST endurance vs. CF wars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know some good sheep jokes. Would it help if I shared them?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [hiphopster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiphopster wrote:
dcsxtri10 wrote:
Yeah, if your an American I am sure you are angry now.
"Suck" is probably a bit of an overstatement

_______

Really I could care less ..... must have something to do with kangaroos or koala bears ;-)

Dave

So you admit you care at least to some degree. ;-)

Not Dave

The proper usage is not as clear cut as many think.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/...archives/001182.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's just let the Sochi metal count be the judge.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
I know some good sheep jokes. Would it help if I sheared them?

FTFY.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is something to the strong club culture and the accessibility to elite athletes. I live in a small city in nz pop. 40, 000. As we all know racing, training and plain old hanging round with good people helps heaps, I can think of 2 Olympians, 1 Olympic coach and several national reps across various disciplines here in town. And that is not unusual in NZ, and they are just regular ppl who are happy to talk and give advice or tell stories. It kind of makes elite level seem achievable, no A list pretentions. Its like living in Boulder I imagine, just on a tiny scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
I know some good sheep jokes. Would it help if I sheared them?

FTFY.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Did you really include rowing in that list???? I'm sorry but NZ/AUS history in rowing is not that deep in comparison to the US. It isn't even close...

vertseven wrote:

haha...are you saying usa is stronger than nz in rowing?

you do realise that the general template for endurance training kindof originated in nz ...right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose for the same reason you in NZ and AU accept such absurd income tax rates. We may suck at endurance sport but at least we can retire wealthy.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The conversation wasn't about who originated or perfected the idea of training. The conversation is who is better than who. There are a couple ways to look at it:

1st step: define endurance sports
2nd step: define metrics for performance evaluation and time period for consideration (historically or currently)

- Per Capita
- Per Participation % (i.e. take membership size of USAT vs TriAus vs. TriNZ)
- Total Medal/ Win Count
- Total world record count

You can even take a composite weight from the 4 categories above. This wouldnt be too complicated to do, but someone with more time will need to do it.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I was only half joking. Any developed nation that taxes it's citizens at such draconian levels should have sufficient money to invest in sport.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trinz membership figure is complicated by the fact that it's free - they realised that no one cared once membership went under 1000 so first dropped to 10 NZ peanuts p/a then started giving membership away.
I vote for the time period being 1985-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I suppose for the same reason you in NZ and AU accept such absurd income tax rates. We may suck at endurance sport but at least we can retire wealthy.

Have you seen Monte Python's Meaning of Life? The protestant is claiming he is better than the Catholic because of all the sexual liberties he can enjoy. And his wife is very very interested, but wonders why she has only had sex twice.
"Could retire wealthy" and actually do? I am not sure what the truth is there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The United States definitely have the advantage on the track and in the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure NZ tax rates are that absurd. Max is 33% (though hit at a very low income level) but there are no state taxes and that does provide for all your health care. US is not a low tax regime compared to rest of world.

Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
http://www.databaseolympics.com/...sportpage.htm?sp=SWI

Fact, you are wrong... US has almost 4x the golds in Olympic Swimming, 3x the silvers and 2x the bronze... Care to try again?
How many of the Olympic swimming events are "endurance sports"?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple fact... How many Olympic medals do Aus and NZ have in rowing combined? Take that and add 50% and you might equal the same number of medals as the US in the sport. I've got a lot of respect for Aus and NZ in rowing but to make claims that either program has a more prolific history in rowing is crazy... University of Washington men beating the Hitler's German boat in Berlin is one of the single greatest rowing events to ever take place.

fulla wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:

vertseven wrote:

haha...are you saying usa is stronger than nz in rowing?

you do realise that the general template for endurance training kindof originated in nz ...right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from a young age we were required to catch our dinner....you would start out by chasing small rodents, build up to baby wallabies and then ultimately hone your endurance chasing adult red kangaroos ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shep wrote:
from a young age we were required to catch our dinner....you would start out by chasing small rodents, build up to baby wallabies and then ultimately hone your endurance chasing adult red kangaroos ;-)

Someone implied earlier it was because you cross breed with the Kangaroo's and Koala's. Personally, I was a little uncertain that cross-breeding with Koala's would help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.Because the best still follow the Lydiard principals.

2. I grew up in Chrsitchurch, New Zealand and sports are big part of school system from the start. I can't remember not being involved school sports from the beginning. We would have inner school sports, then regional champs and then nationals. In high school sport was mandatory. Our school was broken down into houses/teams and there was always competition for athletic supremacy in swimming, cross-country, track and field, triathlon, basketball, cycling..ect. You get ingrained with hard work and pushing the limits from all the competition you were exposed to. Man i loved it!
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Australia and NZ kicking U.S. arse in endurance sports? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 or 4x as many medals? Well with 10 to 15x the population thats a great performance.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Someone implied earlier it was because you cross breed with the Kangaroo's and Koala's. Personally, I was a little uncertain that cross-breeding with Koala's would help.

Those are the ones that end up being stoners.
Quote Reply

Prev Next