Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sharing Golden Cheetah Between Machines
Quote | Reply
The goal of this email is to provide you a recipe for sharing ride files with your coach or another machine. The method uses Dropbox. The general idea is contained in the following diagram:
http://imgur.com/QhK6MhX
( Edit: wow, did that image file turn out crappy. I will fix it as soon as possible.)

Now let's assume you have a username "XXX" on your computer, and you've also made a cyclist named "XXX" in Golden Cheetah.

Windows 7 Recipe:
Athlete:
1. Install GC.
2. Create your athlete profile on it. Athlete->New
3. Close GC
4. Go to C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\GoldenCheetah . Drag the XXX folder into your Dropbox.
6. Create a symbolic link from the athlete folder in Dropbox into the old location where you moved it from. In a command prompt window, do the following (for example):
$ mklink /J C:\Users\XXX\appdata\local\GoldenCheetah\XXX C:\Users\XXX\Dropbox\XXX
7. Try going back into GC to see if it still works.
8. Share your Dropbox/XXX folder with your coach.
9. Use GC normally to import ride files. Go ahead, import one.

Coach:
- when the XXX folder appears in your Dropbox, repeat step 6 on your own machine
- check that the athlete now exists in GC

Mac OS X Recipe:

Athlete:
1. Install GC.
2. Create your athlete profile on it. Athlete->New
3. Close GC
4. Go to Library/GoldenCheetah . Drag the XXX folder into your Dropbox.
6. Create a symbolic link from the athlete folder in Dropbox into the old location where you moved it from. In a command prompt window, do the following (for example):
$ ln -s ~/Dropbox/XXX ~/Library/GoldenCheetah/XXX
7. Try going back into GC to see if it still works.
8. Share your Dropbox/XXX folder with your coach.
9. Use GC normally to import ride files. Go ahead, import one.

Coach:
- when the XXX folder appears in your Dropbox, when the XXX folder appears in your Dropbox, repeat step 6 on your own machine
- check that the athlete now exists in GC

AndyF
bike geek
Last edited by: AndyF: Jan 29, 14 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing Golden Cheetah Between Machines [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andy

this is actually exactly what I had done in the past.
BTW I also do it to share my Garmin "devices" directory onto Dropbox

What I found when using 2 Windows PCs is that if I changed on one machine, when I would startup GC on machine 2 it would want to refresh statistics, and doing so would crash.

Maybe I need to retry with latest builds

Do you think the trick will work cross platform ?, ie share data across a Windows and MAC machine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it using Google Drive and the latest development builds which allow you to change the user data location. Basically install a dev build and then (I only have Windows) click Tools - Options and change the Athlete Library to c:\users\username\Google Drive\GoldenCheetah and close GC. Copy in the athlete folder to that same folder and fire up GC. Do the same process on another computer and they will stay in sync.

That probably won't work as well in a coach/athlete scenario but it works great for me to have copies of the data on two computers.
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing Golden Cheetah Between Machines [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Thanks Andy

this is actually exactly what I had done in the past.
BTW I also do it to share my Garmin "devices" directory onto Dropbox

What I found when using 2 Windows PCs is that if I changed on one machine, when I would startup GC on machine 2 it would want to refresh statistics, and doing so would crash.

Maybe I need to retry with latest builds

This is the formula used on one of the national teams. They track a lot of riders, as you can imagine. I hope it does work. Let's make sure it does,

Quote:

Do you think the trick will work cross platform ?, ie share data across a Windows and MAC machine

Yes, absolutely!

I'm on Linux here, and I have a rider who is entering her data on Windows 8. Easy peasy.

AndyF
bike geek
Last edited by: AndyF: Jan 29, 14 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply