Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SLOWTWITCHERS TO THE RESCUE - PLEASE READ [RSum716] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a flamethrower as an add on to the new bike?
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWTWITCHERS TO THE RESCUE - PLEASE READ [oneforty.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better late than never ... busy day at work ... Just sent off a little help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had one of the worst months in my life. And I'm reminded daily of how lucky I am just to be alive. I can't tell you how good this makes me feel to help someone out in a time of need. I really need something to lift my spirits right now. I can't offer very much after my accident, but I am sending a check for $10.00 to Andrew tonight. Maurice, if you get to read this thread, know that there are people who will never meet you who care.

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike thieves need to be shot!!! I just paypal a few ducats and want to thank all the 'Twitchers who gave for helping to restore my faith in humanity a bit.

Miguel in the 'No...El Tribato

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWTWITCHERS TO THE RESCUE - PLEASE READ [Big Duke Six] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$100 dollars sent!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I know its late but I was out of the office all day...am here now unfortunately, but I'm glad I am since I got to see this post and send a few bucks.

The response that this has generated is amazing. Can't wait to hear how it ends up.

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I put my handle in the note section of PP. Maybe we can get a digital "card" or something that we can all "sign" or something for this guy... Stephen P., could you design something like that??

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWTWITCHERS TO THE RESCUE - PLEASE READ [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job everyone and kudos to KC and oneforty.6 for running with the ball for me. That is one of the great things about ST, everyone steps up to the plate with their strengths. I was just figuring out how to locate Maurice when someone posted his number, and KittyCat had already called him. Andrew got the donations started by using his paypal account. Unfortunately I had to work all day with only a 15 minute break between jobs, neither of which presently involve a computer. I am happy though, it got done. I can imagine Maurice feels a whole lot better tonight then he did last night. Last night he was trying to figure out how to get home, tonight he is planning the next stage of his journey.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$20. Great job with all this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read about this poor fellow in the Toronto Star today. Way to go oneforty.6 and Kittycat to get the ball rolling. With the generosity of STer's we'll get this guy riding away on a new P3!
My donation's in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$25 to the fund. pay it forward...

Mike in Albuqueruqe
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWTWITCHERS TO THE RESCUE - PLEASE READ [Mike in Wichita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and those individual swimmers, cyclists and runners..ever wonder why they hate us so? Because they weren't good enough to come up with something like this. Yeah, we're geeks alright...just ask this fella
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWTWITCHERS TO THE RESCUE - PLEASE READ [Aaross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LATEST UPDATE....................................................

Ok, so both Kittycat and I have had the chance to speak with Maurice tonight - and he is flabbergasted (for lack of a better word) that a bunch of total strangers from various parts of the country (and world) - have chipped in to make an effort for someone like him.

He is the most humble, softly spoken (and now shocked) person you could ever hope to speak with.

The attention we have attracted to this cause has been unbelievable - and at this stage - we now have a bike shop in Canada who is participating in this cause.

A large percentage of the cash we have collected will be absorbed in bike, accessories, clothing, camp gear - above and beyond that which I will be shipping to him (I have asked him to hold off on buying anything until he receives our care package - which won't be hard for him as he has no cash)

The remainder will go towards the money stolen from him - in what I believe is the most heartless of the two crimes he was subjected to this past week. This cycling odessey he is on - is part of a 7 year journey so far - one in which his ability to cycle is liberating to him, especially given his physical challenges (nobody is disabled - we are simply a mix of able bodied (often mentally challenged folks) and physically challenged folks)

The plan is to see what remaining donations filter in over the next few days - quite a few people have indicated they would be sending checks.

At that time - we will be drawing a check in Canadian funds and distributing the cash to him as needed. He will receive 100% of the funds!

Maurice has no idea at this stage - (unless he now is a slowtwitcher!!!!) - of how much we have raised for him. He told me that he would refund any money beyond that which is absolutely needed to get him going again

Can you believe that??????

How often do we bitch on this forum about the stupid shit and here we have someone - who is in obvious need - but is SO appreciative of the efforts of everyone combined - that in this time of need - he wants to give back!

We did not enter into discussions about how much money was lost in cash/cards etc - but based on our conversation - it was a considerable amount of money - possibly enough to get him through the next few months on his bike.

His situation is such that he wasn't able to simply pick up the phone and call his bank and ask them to wire money from his checking account to wherever he was.

I would hazard a guess to say that he lost more money in one foul swoop - than many of us would ever care to imagine.

So.........here is the current situation

I will wait until Sat for all checks to arrive - I have an email from all members sending checks and will mark them off as they arrive - I will also wait for the different products/items and gifts to arrive at my office.

I will go ahead and purchase - out of my own pocket - a nice durable journal - to replace the one lost in this incident and propose the following.....

We start a thread - which hijacking of will not be tolerated - and we seek Dan's assistance here.

Each and every Slowtwitcher that contributed - will have a chance to send a little wish or message into the thread - which I will print up and affix the entire thread to the first few pages of the journal - as a point of reference to him that we do care. It is also a way for you to communicate directly with this wonderful man

This is similar in nature to the virtual card idea - which is great

Does everybody think this is a good idea or not?

Once we have the thread printed and the care package on the way - I am going to have delivered via FEDEX or DHL - the balance of the fundraising efforts in a certified check in Canadian funds, made out to him personally.

And if you have read this far - I know you want to know how successful this cause has been

Thanks to each and every one of us that have contributed - we believe we have so far raised just over $2000

Great job everyone!!!!!!

(Important Disclaimer: Because we are dealing with cash contributions here - I am making available complete records of all contributions into this account, paypal and checks, and a further record or disburtion of funds to Maurice. Kittycat will have a hard copy of these documents - and any other person requiring documentary evidence of this, need only ask. This entire effort was undertaken with a large amount of trust by all contributors - that the funds would find their way to the intended recipient - and I only wish to be forthright - and allow an open audit by anyone here - to evidence the appropriate and intended receipt and allocation of funds. I am an honest person - but I want to ensure that all parties involved have a 100% comfort level in the cash management of this fund)

Sorry but I felt it necessary to put that in there!

Have a great night everyone - Maurice has told me that he went from having the worst week of his life - to feeling relieved to know that there are kind people out there.

Wait until he receives the bike, gifts and the check!

Again - a HUGE thank you to all involved - this was the collaborative efforts of almost 90 slowtwitchers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by: oneforty.6: Aug 9, 05 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good job on that:-) I'll right something in french, for a fellow french canadian. That is awesome, awesome, aweome what you guys are doing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word: Huge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try and buy him a "Peaceful Tribe" jersey tomorrow. I'll contact the appropriate people tomorrow to get that done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Heather can't donate one - let me know and I'll buy one from the funds collected!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just PM'd you. No need ... I'll just buy one. Let him keep more of the money collected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's very nice of you - I just PM'd you back!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I belive in karma... you have my donation.

I am crossing the 49th to Saskatchewan next week so it will be interesting to see if I hear anything about this...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if anyone thought of this or mentioned it already - are you sending him travelers checks instead of cash?
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWTWITCHERS TO THE RESCUE - PLEASE READ [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great call Jason

What do you all think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oneforty and kc (and everyone here who has helped). no need to reiterate that you have done a tremendous thing here, but I am going to do it anyway. I am a lurker (first post) and just had to help out. Maurice isn't the only one with a restored faith in our fellow man. Good on ya and thank you. thank you very much.
Last edited by: stinklestein: Aug 9, 05 20:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peaceful Tribe Before Sunrise Long Sleeve Tech T

Ordered, and will be sent to you.

-- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John

You're rocking the house - my beer is tasting better with every sip - thank you!!

Looks like we may have a few slowtwitchers in Maurice's "neck of the woods" next week

In true Slowtwitch fashion - if there is no pic - it doesn't exist right????

I would love to get a snapshot of Maurice - with his care package - new bike and new found lease on life

Will see what we can arrange!

Andrew
Quote Reply

Prev Next