Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: hernia repair [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I walked out of my appointment after waiting 2 hours in the waiting room. I'd rather lose my co-pay and keep my hernia than pay to sit around for 2 hours for a first time consultation. Thanks dr fotovat for wasting my time.
Quote Reply
Re: hernia repair [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEP it is.

When the procedure is done you have to create a space to work in and that is done with.....AIR.

This stretches the muscles so you will feel bloated for a while (week or so). Only people who don't experience this are women who have been pregnant. At the end of the procedure I do a few things to minimize this. NOTHING to do for this after surgery. Everyone(nurses,non-surgeons) will say you have to get the gas out. Ridiculous! All the result of how the procedure is done. Not an issue with OPEN technique.

What you are experiencing is EXACTLY why I rarely do laparoscopic approach unless bilateral or recurrent. Even then, another discussion..

FYI, been in private practice 24 years and average 100 inguinal hernia repairs a year..

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: hernia repair [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you live? If I'm on time I am LATE. Treat my patients as I would be treated. Don't cover ER any more but wouldn't have office on days I did. Sorry you went through that. Have some partners where 1-2 hrs late is on time. Drives me crazy as hell... Nothing I can do.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: hernia repair [rph60] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Connecticut. Odd part is that the hernia pain is going away (after a year of nagging pain and 3 months of bad pain). I also had a tendon tear that when inflamed put pressure on the hernia. I think the tendon is repairing itself and not putting as much pressure on the hernia.

So now I guess I'll wait until the next bad episode...

I know, get it fixed now, but I need to find another doc in my health plan.
Quote Reply
Re: hernia repair [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess what, hernia was not causing issues! Very common for me to see pts with a hernia/pain and I get very specific with my exam as to location. See fair amount of tendonitis over adductor muscles. It can't put pressure on hernia. No tendons can.

Get it fixed now.. Why? I don't recommend fixing asymptomatic hernias except - getting ready to lose insurance(then will be a problem and no insurance), pilot, missionary. I don't believe in preventive surgery. OH, YOU HAVE A HERNIA AND GOOD CHANCE IT MAY CAUSE A PROBLEM AND YOU SHOULD GET IT FIXED. CROCK OF S%$T.

I have had a hernia for 18 years and no scars(surgery). Noticed after moving a deer stand and had groin pain, self exam and a hernia. Pain disappeared week later. People heal differently. I have had pts develop chronic pain after surgery and thats no fun.

Asked location because I live in Atlanta and would see you next week. Always willing to help!

Robert
Last edited by: rph60: Dec 7, 13 17:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, thank you for the advice!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Robert,

Funny coincidence about not digging into an asymptomatic patient - nearly two months just passed between my ultrasound (small direct inguinal diagnosis) and my initial visit with surgeon. In that interim (no sports, only walks with the wife - woohoo!) my pain pretty much disappeared... sure enough doc said he won't start cutting because he could not see/feel a thing when he palpated (I never could see/feel any bulging - just stinging pain).
He said to just return to what I was doing and be vigilant in case I ever do find a protrusion, or pain returns, then skedaddle back to see him. Trouble is I find I am now paranoid about doing core work - am I just being a little chicken sh!t to avoid it or is it important to dial any of this back? I sure don't want to switch onto "old man mode" if I don't have to; that time's coming soon enough.
Thanks very much for your input to this thread!

Quote | Reply
Thanks Dr Robert. I'm in the Atlanta area too!
I suspected I had a hernia about two years ago. I went to a surgeon a year ago and he confirmed it.
I had occasional lower abdomen soreness, maybe once every 4-6 weeks. I would take an ibu and be good.
I had the hernia repaired two days ago, laparoscopic. It went very smoothly. I was nauseous afterwards when I walked too fast, but no pain.
Next day, had pain in lower stomach area and was told to take 3 ibu every 6 hours. I probably walked about 1.5+ miles between
my kid's lax games and nightly dog walk. Some minor discomfort, but no real issues.
My stomach is a little bloated, but making progress.
I was told no sports for two weeks, then proceed as normal.
Quote Reply
Re: hernia repair [snail_male] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally understand. When I noticed I had a hernia 18 years ago, mentally it "hurt" for a year. Physically no discomfort. That will improve (mental aspect).

Impossible to tell on ultrasound or exam what type you have-doesn't matter. Hernias are a clinical or patient history diagnosis. Patient says I have pain/lump that I(the patient) can push in or pain and I see on exam-You Have a Hernia. 90% of patients with pain only do NOT have a hernia. For a hernia to cause discomfort it will be of a size you or surgeon will feel.

Also see patients who get Ultrasound/CT scan of this area and are told they have a hernia per radiologist interpretation. Good chance they are WRONG, this is another discussion. I always look at the test and go to the radiologist to show them what they are seeing.

Robert
Last edited by: rph60: Dec 8, 13 6:24
Quote Reply
Re: hernia repair [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great you are doing ok.

It's ok to ride bike but not do intense intervals(hill repeats,etc.). Ok to run a little. Just don't lift anything heavy(no such thing as 10,20,30 pounds). Whatever weight it takes you to strain. That time is needed for the mesh to attach to your body. Sutures/tacs only keep it in place.

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc,

Can you tell me where you practice in Atlanta, I have a direct ingunal hernia that I would want a look at
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next