Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular"
Quote | Reply
I just got my S2 for a great price thanks to someone's question here.
I've never ridden a bike with aerobars but starting to think about throwing one on my new bike for my upcoming first 70.3 on late October.
Is it to late getting use to it?
The ITU draft legal ones (shorties) except for looking great do they worth anything ? Any recommendations for something specific ?
Last edited by: ilan_k: Sep 2, 13 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular" [ilan_k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had shorties on a road bike awhile back and they were not very comfortable for anything more than a few minutes in the aero position. They're so short you're force to be very cramped in my experience. If you're doing a 70.3, get some real aero bars that fit you and are comfortable over long distances. You should be in them a lot over that distance so might as well get what works for you.

Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular" [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think that it depends on height or they just too short?
I have nothing against the long ones except for the look :) I will go with the comfortable ones of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular" [ilan_k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I rode my first IM on a road bike with shortie clip-ons.
If you used the shorties as they are meant, i.e. resting your mid-forearm on the pads and gripping the ends, then yes, you end up in a cramped position after a short period of time.
For anything over 60minutes I imagine that would suck.
I however was in a realtively conventional TT positon (albeit on a road bike) and squared up my arms, placed my elbows on the pads and hung my hands out over the end of the bars.
As I was positioned, the bar ends were at the level of my wrists and I simply rested my wrists on there and had my hands free to wave at spectators, drink from my bottle, unwrap a gel etc.
Unconventional yes, but effective. Rode a 5:04 in this position.
thats my two cents on this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps get ones with a good bit of adjustability lengthwise and figure out what works via trial and error. I have some old oval ones on a road bike, and they're great for races like savageman.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular" [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corneliused wrote:
Perhaps get ones with a good bit of adjustability lengthwise and figure out what works via trial and error. I have some old oval ones on a road bike, and they're great for races like savageman.

How is the adjustability with the Profile Design T2+ and T3 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good lengthwise to me. The biggest question is can you get the pads as low as you want them? There are so many bars out there that you just have to try and decide what you want and spend some time shopping around for something that will satisfy you.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular" [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corneliused wrote:
The biggest question is can you get the pads as low as you want them? .

^ This. The headtube of an S2 is relatively tall (esp if it's post the geo-revision Cervelo brought in a few years ago). As a medium term solution for someone who is still working towards their ultimate aero position, that may be just what's needed, but in the long run it will be the limiting factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilan,
Did you get a fast forward seat post with your s2?

Here's a pic of my bike with the carbon stryke...super comfortable with the pads flipping up which allows me to climb on the handle bar.
[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/...zpsc445f1b2.jpg.html][/url]
fyi, pm me if your interested in my setup, i just got a tri bike and am thinking of selling my tri setup for the s2 and bringing it back to a road bike setup.

thanks
Last edited by: baldiesrt: Sep 3, 13 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilan_k wrote:
corneliused wrote:

How is the adjustability with the Profile Design T2+ and T3 ?

The Profile T2/T3 are very adjustable -- you can rotate the aerobars and armrests up/down (around the basebar), tilt the extensions inward, the armrests can rotate around the extensions, and there is a riser kit so you can pedestal the aerobars off the basebar slightly. You probably can't get the pads touching each other if you're looking for something really narrow, and I don't think the F-19 armrest shape is all that great (they're very 'flat' feeling) and the pads kinda suck. The F-22/F-25/F-35 armrests might be better.
Quote Reply
Re: Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular" [baldiesrt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes i know I should be ashame nut I'm not sure about the fast forward seat.. :)
Does this setup allow you riding on the hoods as comfortably as on the aerobars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you have my set up from Norseman, I have di2 with shifting also on the aerobars

Quote Reply
Re: Clip-on aero bars on Cervelo S2 - shorties vs "regular" [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm almost there..except for the s5, dura ace di2, the mavics, and the aero helmet. :)
Were you setup/fitted for a tri position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must have the fast forward. I would not have gotten my tri fit properly without it. I got my fitting from SIDS bikes. I have no problems riding on the hoods or thE straight bar.

Transitioning from my s2 to my p2 is like night and day. Might be because im not use to it yet, nor am i fitted (will get one this week), but the s2 is just so comfortable. Riding on the p2 handle bars is so u comfortable. I feel every bump riding on the bull horns, unlike the hoods which has padding.

I might do my last tri on my s2 before fully going to my p2.
Quote Reply