Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why keep a US flag from touching the ground?
Quote | Reply
What I mean is, what is your specific reason?

http://radio.foxnews.com/...s-american-flag.html

Personally, I don't think flags should be burned in protest, cut up, worn as underwear, flown upside-down (except when appropriate), spray painted, flown beneath other flags, or touch the ground, etc.

My reason is that we are all Americans and that its a sign of disrespect to our country, and thereby to us.

The reason why I ask is that in the caption it said that its shows disrespect to those who have fallen to keep it flying.

So is laying a flag on the floor disrespectful to:

a) fallen soldiers

b) any military veteran

c) all Americans

d) other

Just curious.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same reason you don't wear a hat at the dinner table. Respect.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disrespectful, the flag represents something bigger than all Americans.

I feel the same way about any country's flag, even when in Iraq I never had the urge to desecrate their flag.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did either of you two read my post?

Respect to whom? Am I specifically disrespecting soldiers who died in combat if I wear a hat to the dinner table?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes accidents happen. Was it a hockey game or baseball game with CDN team playing an American team and the US Marines doing both countries anthems in the pre game show had the CDN flag upside down? LOL!! Not a big enough deal to break off diplomatic relations,:-) but I've noticed some Americans do get quite uptight over the flag in how they interpret disrespect. Seems to be a cultural thing IMO. Maybe even more so in certain parts of the states?.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We real Amer'cans' feet never touch the ground when we walk, so why should our flag ;-)

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about who you're disrespecting. Just keep it off the ground because that's the law.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>Don't worry about who you're disrespecting. Just keep it off the ground because that's the law.

An unconstitutional law. The law is allowed to remain for symbolic purposes, but it's no longer enforceable. (unless you're in the military).
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not unconstitutional. It carries no penalty.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>It's not unconstitutional. It carries no penalty.

Any penalty was ruled unconstitutional (1st amendment). Therefore it's not really a law, just a suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
>It's not unconstitutional. It carries no penalty.

Any penalty was ruled unconstitutional (1st amendment). Therefore it's not really a law, just a suggestion.

It is a Code of Federal Regulation (CFR).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're making this much too hard, requires very simple processing power
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Therefore it's not really a law, just a suggestion"

It's chapter 1, Title 4 of US Code. Just because it doesn't carry a penalty doesn't mean it's not law.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, technically it's a law, and I have no big problem with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just find this certain kind of of dramatic bravado kind of strange. "People died to keep that flag up." I really don't think any of our wars had anything to do with keeping a flag off the ground, and if any soldier did it specifically for that reason, I would think it was a pretty stupid reason and wouldn't hold myself or anyone else accountable for it.

Keeping someone from gassing Jews, or preventing further attacks on American soil.....now *those* are good reasons! Furthermore, I think talking loudly at Arlington Cemetery would be showing disrespect to fallen soldiers much more so than putting a US flag in the floor.

As I said, I think its disrespectful, just not specifically having anything to do with fallen soldiers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intellectually you're quite correct, but its a symbolism thing more than anything else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry, throughout history, soldiers have, literally, died saving the US flag.

The American Revolution and the Civil War are two primary example. WWII had numerous incidents of this as well. There are documented incidents in the Gulf.

Soldiers have done this throughout history b/c of what the flag represents. See, e.g.: http://history1800s.about.com/...War-Battle-Flags.htm

The law is not to honor those soldier. Rather, it is to codify the same reasons soldiers have been willing to die for a flag.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Sometimes accidents happen. Was it a hockey game or baseball game with CDN team playing an American team and the US Marines doing both countries anthems in the pre game show had the CDN flag upside down? LOL!! Not a big enough deal to break off diplomatic relations,:-) but I've noticed some Americans do get quite uptight over the flag in how they interpret disrespect. Seems to be a cultural thing IMO. Maybe even more so in certain parts of the states?.

It was the 1992 World Series. Blue Jays vs. Braves. Now imagine if our colour guard had done the same thing with the US flag.

Anyway, there was no malice intended as most Americans aren't smart enough to know which way a maple leaf should go. Hell, some even think that our flag has an oak leaf on it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I mean is, what is your specific reason?

Because it's a thing and my mom told me to never rub my thing on the ground.

Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Anyway, there was no malice intended as most Americans aren't smart enough to know which way a maple leaf should go. Hell, some even think that our flag has an oak leaf on it"

Yes, as opposed to most Canadians who would know exactly which side of the US flag to hold upwards.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do Canadians have to say a pledge of allegiance every day in school? Brainwashing at it's finest. Worked on me much to my chagrin.
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Do Canadians have to say a pledge of allegiance every day in school? Brainwashing at it's finest. Worked on me much to my chagrin.

No sir.

Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a pledge of allegiance to the Canadarm?

I guess you guys don't need any pledges because your national anthem is enough to keep you patriotic . . . despite it's lack of play at the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Why keep a US flag from touching the ground? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Summer, yes we're horrible. However we had the most Olympic winter gold medals ever in Vancouver.

Our winter doping program is the shiz.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is symbolism. No american Soldier, Sailor or Marine ever swears an oath to defend the flag.
Quote Reply

Prev Next