Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much are pro cyclists making?
Quote | Reply
I saw the tour results showing the prize money was...which is split amongst the team but hhat are the pro riders making for salary from the teams?
Say for example Garmin which has about 30 riders on its Pro team from top down what is the salary range?

Anybody know?
Last edited by: Kenny Powers: Jul 22, 13 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [Kenny Powers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to http://www.cnbc.com/id/100862133

Quote:
auditors Ernst & Young put the average salary for a UCI ProTeam rider is at $142,000, but annual salaries for top riders in the Tour can go up to $5 million
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry should have been more clear aside from the prize purse from the tour and races what are the salaries of todays cyclists?
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robin, run wrote:

Quote:
auditors Ernst & Young put the average salary for a UCI ProTeam rider is at $142,000, but annual salaries for top riders in the Tour can go up to $5 million

If you deduct the $5 million for the top rider on a team, the average for the rest is $50-60K. A lot different than $142K. (not saying I am correct, just using the numbers reported.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most races pay very little prize money. For example, winning the KOM or Green jersey at the tour is worth $30K, a stage is $1,500. As you mentioned, all the $$$ a team wins at a race is typically pooled and divided equally among the riders and staff.

Your median Pro Tour rider makes mid-high 5 figures as a salary (I use median, since the few riders with mega-contracts really skew the average). Per the union agreement, riders must be paid at least the French minimum wage (not really an issue at the Pro Tour level except for new signings). Riders also get $$$ from any individual sponsorships (most have their own shoe contracts for example), appearance fees at post-TdF crits (anywhere from $1K-$50K a pop). Most also have bonus clauses in their team contracts for winning important races (ex. $100K for winning worlds, $75K for Paris Roubaix, etc.).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think some of the lower level riders on a Pro team are making $50 to $60k /year?
interesting if true.

I would have thought they would do a minimum of $120K or so and then go up to a million or two depending on the rider and performance.

I would also think you could double or triple your salary based on performance.

I remember reading from the Lance Armstrong book that he said he was making a million dollar salary before he got cancer. I really dont believe that though..like everything that comes out of his mouth...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
robin, run wrote:

Quote:

If you deduct the $5 million for the top rider on a team, the average for the rest is $50-60K. A lot different than $142K. (not saying I am correct, just using the numbers reported.)

If you are talking Protour, $50-60 k is below minimum, so, not possible to be the average.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see no reason to doubt that figure. He had a nice house and porsche before he got cancer. He also managed to pay for the best team of doctors.. Those thungs aren't cheap.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Facts and figures http://velonews.competitor.com/...gher-salaries_225328

Lance had several companies help offset medical costs if I remember correctly

Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [S McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S McGregor wrote:
An Old Guy wrote:
robin, run wrote:

Quote:

If you are talking Protour, $50-60 k is below minimum, so, not possible to be the average.

I just did the obvious math. It seems to be consistant with the numbers in the link posted by JustinNorCal - $42K minimum.

But if you know the minimum, why don't you state it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who is a pro. I think he pulls in a salary of ~$8-11K/yr from his team. UCI Pro Tour minimums are something like $125K/yr. Fabian Cancellera recently signed a 3-yr contract for 3M euro/yr.

IOW, the range varies as much as any other profession.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently, the UCI-mandated salary minimums for Pro Continental riders are €23,000 ($29,000) for neo-pros and €27,500 ($34,500) for all others. ProTeam minimums are €26,700 ($33,500) for neo-pros and €33,000 ($41,500) for all others. Overall, the average ProTeam salary in 2012 is €264,000 ($331,500).
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also won the world championships several years before coming down with cancer. Rainbow bands on your sleeves probably changes your salary bracket (and your sponsor roster).
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
merlinkim wrote:
He also won the world championships several years before coming down with cancer. Rainbow bands on your sleeves probably changes your salary bracket (and your sponsor roster).
ahh that would be the reason then...is there a list anywhere of what he won in his career?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
S McGregor wrote:
An Old Guy wrote:
robin, run wrote:

Quote:

I just did the obvious math. It seems to be consistant with the numbers in the link posted by JustinNorCal - $42K minimum.

But if you know the minimum, why don't you state it?
Teams with an average budget aren't paying $5m salaries. That's for the teams with deep pockets like Sky or BMC.
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Teams with an average budget aren't paying $5m salaries. That's for the teams with deep pockets like Sky or BMC.

I just took the numbers from the linked article and did the math. You can do whatever math you want. You can have whatever opinion you want.

Hell, you can turn pro and see what they offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
gregf83 wrote:

I just took the numbers from the linked article and did the math. You can do whatever math you want. You can have whatever opinion you want.

Hell, you can turn pro and see what they offer.

I just did. They referred to this thread and offered me the average.
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MonkeyClaw wrote:
UCI Pro Tour minimums are something like $125K/yr.
I doubt that it's that high.

Kenny Powers wrote:
merlinkim wrote:

ahh that would be the reason then...is there a list anywhere of what he won in his career?
Try this http://lmgtfy.com/...+Armstrong+victories

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A mate of mine just got a 100k bonus - kid on his team won a big race in Europe last weekend. Sweeeeeeeeet.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a shorter list than it used to be!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenny Powers wrote:
I remember reading from the Lance Armstrong book that he said he was making a million dollar salary before he got cancer. I really dont believe that though..like everything that comes out of his mouth...

Lance was a world champion and multiple TDF stage winner, as well as a classics winner. All pre-cancer.

I'd absolutely expect him to be pulling in a million plus in salary alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Kenny Powers wrote:

Lance was a world champion and multiple TDF stage winner, as well as a classics winner. All pre-cancer.

yep, except how many people here do you expect to know anything about Fleche Wallonne and the Classica San Sebastian?

actually, screw that; how many people here do you think even know what a classic is?
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I know the women make about $0 on average.

=)

And there is a large swath of pro riders who race lower level UCI events (anyone heard all the excitement over the upcoming Tour of Romania?) whose sponsorship only covers bikes, clothes and travel. They need to work an off season job, have a supportive family/spouse, live like a bike bum or collect race winnings to get by. They are generally trying to make an impression to jump up to the next level, but some have slipped out of the major pro tour ranks and still love to race. It is an interesting side of pro cycling that gets very little notice but I have some friends who are "living the dream" in the lower level UCI stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: How much are pro cyclists making? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
Kenny Powers wrote:

yep, except how many people here do you expect to know anything about Fleche Wallonne and the Classica San Sebastian?

actually, screw that; how many people here do you think even know what a classic is?

I dunno. Doesn't matter much. Dude won prolifically in the US and abroad. Earned the money. That's all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next