flyrunride wrote:
Froome is just on point....

Is that code for something sharp?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 seconds between 1st and third.

Contador with a TT cockpit maybe wins. I didn't see him actually use the drops, just the hoods.

Froome doesn't switch bikes, maybe doesn't win.

Doesn't affect the GC much though

styrrell wrote:
Pretty much looks like very tiny differences due to equipment choice. Hopefully cyclenutz will crunch the numbers, but I doubt going full aero vs full ww vs bike change would be enough to alter the results by a significant amount.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who would have guessed that Andy would crush Cuddles today and move in 16th place?

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jul 17, 13 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cuddles either has a health problem or gave up today I imagine.

EDIT: OR DID HE PULL A VOECKLER!? haha

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jul 17, 13 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter Flax ‏@Pflax14m
In other news, Cadel was sweating like a pig, like he was ill in a bad way

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chapeau to Quintana (!!) and Schleck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure and 1st through third were pretty much what people would've expected and in that order. Different equipment choices may have resulted in all sorts of unexpected results, but Froome & Contador are great TT riders and climbers, with Froome being better lately and shockingly with different strategies they finished pretty much as expected, maybe AC was a bit closer but Froome botched the switch just a bit and really didn't need to take risks decending.

jackmott wrote:

Contador with a TT cockpit maybe wins. I didn't see him actually use the drops, just the hoods.

styrrell wrote:
Pretty much looks like very tiny differences due to equipment choice. Hopefully cyclenutz will crunch the numbers, but I doubt going full aero vs full ww vs bike change would be enough to alter the results by a significant amount.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

styrrell wrote:

Yeah a full TT cockpit might have done it. He did have the Vuka Sprint bars on (from what I could tell), but it's not unfathomable to think he could have gained 10 seconds without the hoods and drops out there taking wind for 51 minutes.

Edit: In looking at the photos, it looks like he didn't use Vuka Sprint bars. Not sure why you wouldn't, unless the clip-ons couldn't fit on the Vuka Sprints.
Last edited by: Landyachtz: Jul 17, 13 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:

Word from cyclingnews is that Movistar has signed Quintana's younger brother, Dayer.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:
Pooks wrote:

Word from cyclingnews is that Movistar has signed Quintana's younger brother, Dayer.

I've totally forgotten about the yellow jersey and glued to white.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
Landyachtz wrote:
Pooks wrote:

I've totally forgotten about the yellow jersey and glued to white.

Something tells me we're going to see a Quintana in the white jersey for another 3-4 years (Dayer is 22).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
flyrunride wrote:
Froome is just on point....

Is that code for something sharp?

Nope, I was just appreciating him taking the win. Contador seems true to his word though that he'll be in peak form in the last week, but we'll find out tomorrow if he can challenge or threaten the yellow jersey as his top form might not be enough to handle froomie and his parasites (jokingly).
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the statements regarding bilharzia by Team Sky cannot be true.
http://velonews.competitor.com/...rzia-parasite_295548

My wife works as a post-doc studying infectious diseases, primarily researching schistosomiasis - which is the more common, scientific name for bilharzia.
The treatment for schistosomiasis/bilharzia is biltricide (Praziquantel) as mentioned, but the treatment is a one-day treatment. Reference here: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/...75b1916b8#nlm34068-7 under dosage and adminsitration.

If schistosomasis/bilharzia was diagnosed in 2010, Froome should have been given the one day treatment and it should have no longer been an issue. The only reported occurrences of when the initial treatment does not eradicate the infection is when a heavy worm burden is in the system (i.e. a lot of worms infected Froome.) Even in those cases, treatment does not drag on for 18 months+. A heavy worm burden would also make the symptoms more severe than "I was always getting little colds and coughs, nothing serious".

Thus, it's unlikely to claim that it's still in his system (as of January according to the above article), unless he got re-infected by continuing to come into contact with contaminated waters. Given his reported history with this infection, that would be stupid.

There are other inconsistencies with the claims given:
"It’s not something that just disappears. It’s a parasite. It lays eggs. They might be dormant, then the eggs hatch, then they lay more eggs" - Completely false: Eggs laid in humans do not, and cannot hatch; they can only hatch in fresh water (after being excreted by humans). They also need interaction with snails before the hatched eggs can infect humans again. Source: Under Pathophysiology/Life Cycle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schistosomiasis, also fairly common knowledge for those familiar with the infection.

Biltricide "basically kills everything in your system" - also false, same link above about the treatment under Adverse Effects - "In general BILTRICIDE is very well tolerated. Side effects are usually mild and transient and do not require treatment." Thus, a week of not being able to ride his bike is a ridiculous statement.

I'm not sure why they would lie to / misinform us about something like this....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
On twitter Cadel just said he took it easy on purpose

#whoknows

Even Cavendish beat Cadel on the TT today.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
You do realize that Cadel Evans attacked Andy Schleck on that same descent a couple years ago and gained a bit of time, right? Was that an unnecessary, dangerous classless move as well?

And why would Contador work with Froome when Kreuzinger was in the group up the road, and there was an opportunity to take time back?

It's a bike RACE, not a participatory sport like triathlon.

Not sure what the gap between Evans and Schleck was, but I'm guessing it was alot less than the 4:25 Contador is currently trailing Froome by. Also, if you have a 40 yard gap on someone on a steep descent, be as reckless as you want because if you crash you are only taking yourself out, but being reckless when you are all in a close group that includes many of the top GC contenders is less cool.

I get that it's a bike race, but my point is that you need to assess risk vs reward and in this case I think that with only a few km left in the stage, the risk of taking yourself and a number of the top GC contenders out of the race in a crash on a tricky descent was not worth it. Just my opinion, and apparently Froome's too. You're welcome to disagree.

And Contador had every motivation to get back into the group or he would have lost valuable seconds to Mollema. Which do you think Contador cares about more, Kreuzinger taking 10 seconds (say) back on Froome, or himself not losing 10 seconds to Mollema?

so why did Froome follow AC so close. Just back off so you can see the road. The risk rewrad for Froome to ride in a position to tickle AC's prostate makes even less sense than AC riding "recklessly"
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldFart wrote:
so why did Froome follow AC so close. Just back off so you can see the road. The risk rewrad for Froome to ride in a position to tickle AC's prostate makes even less sense than AC riding "recklessly"

This was also brought up on the NBC coverage today. I simply don't get it. If I find myself riding or racing near someone who I honestly feel is riding unsafe, the last thing I do is get on their wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldFart wrote:

I don't disagree at all. When I saw them bunching up and overlapping around some of those hairpins I had exactly this thought. And I think it would have been funny if when Porte, Froome and Contador were a few seconds back after the mishap on the descent, the Sky guys had said, "hey Contie mate, if you don't want to lose time to Mollema you better get us back into the group, because frankly we don't care about a few seconds lost to these other guys." That would have been good to see. After all, Contador caused the problem, so he should help fix it. Well, if he had any class... ;)

And to the earlier 'know-it-all' poster, yes Contador may not care about the difference between 2nd or 3rd place, but the only realistic way for him to win the TdF is if Froome crashes out or has some other catastrophe, and if that happens then Contador needs to have overtaken Mollema to win. So I stand by my assertion that Contador was indeed very motivated to get back to the group with Mollema after the crash. But then what do I know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
OldFart wrote:

I don't disagree at all. When I saw them bunching up and overlapping around some of those hairpins I had exactly this thought. And I think it would have been funny if when Porte, Froome and Contador were a few seconds back after the mishap on the descent, the Sky guys had said, "hey Contie mate, if you don't want to lose time to Mollema you better get us back into the group, because frankly we don't care about a few seconds lost to these other guys." That would have been good to see. After all, Contador caused the problem, so he should help fix it. Well, if he had any class... ;)

And to the earlier 'know-it-all' poster, yes Contador may not care about the difference between 2nd or 3rd place, but the only realistic way for him to win the TdF is if Froome crashes out or has some other catastrophe, and if that happens then Contador needs to have overtaken Mollema to win. So I stand by my assertion that Contador was indeed very motivated to get back to the group with Mollema after the crash. But then what do I know...

I don't know much, but I do know that the earlier 'know it all poster" is actually quite, no, make that very knowledgeable about bike racing.

A) AC knew that Sky would get him back b/c Porte was pulling hard, so why help when you are about back. If he had lost time to Mollema I am pretty certain he felt more than comfortable that he would takes quite a bit of time back from him in the TT (as he did). Also Mollema is hanging on in the mountains and with the 3 days to come I think it is as safe a bet to say AC will take time (quite a bit of it) out of Mollema as it is to say Froome will win.

ok back to other stuff. Is Perraud (sp?) the 1st rider to break his clavicle twice in 1 day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, so I'm having this vision of an all "classy" cyclist TdF:
Rider 1 - "Jolly good day old sport, what do you say I help you win the stage?"
Rider 2 - "Oh heavens to betsy my good chap! I could never! Here, let me pull you to the stage win!"
(naturally, they are British)

All kidding aside, I do think you have too much expectation of "class" from these guys, almost like they need to be classy to a fault. It's a race, they are competing. yes, there is etiquette, but I don't think Contador "owed" Sky anything after the slide out. I think most people are agreeing he didn't owe sky anything.

I agree too, if Froome was so upset with Contador sitting in, it's up to him to make him not do it (sit up or drop him). But taking a free ride isn't unclassy, it's bike racing.