Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GoPro's allowed at IM races???
Quote | Reply
IM Austria looks likes its going to be an epic race. Every race report I read gets me more excited. Can’t wait for the Tour de France like climbs with the cheering crowd all around you. I want to capture this on film and was wondering if GoPro’s are allowed to be mounted on bikes or helmets? I don’t care about the drag lol. My 6:00 goal bike split is not going to set any records.

-----

I use http://www.needtomeet.com to find a time that works for everyone. Meetings, events, dinners, tri clubs ... business or pleasure, great tool!
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [stevepiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen many GoPro videos of Ironman races.

I can't see why there would be an issue..but who knows..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not allowed in Kona (I tried).

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [Shakeandbake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure? A guy got a lottery spot and made a video and posted it here. It was very good. I can't remember the poster's name or find it with my lazy searching, but I'm sure it was Kona. A tribute to his dad.
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From IM Raleigh 70.3 Athlete's Guide:

Cameras, phone cameras, and video cameras are prohibited unless permission is given by WTC. If permission is given by WTC, it is the athlete's responsibility to notify the Head Referee prior to race start. Athletes seen with a camera, phone camera, or video camera will be disqualified.
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here it is, called "My Day in Kona"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_wk8E9Qe6s

Pretty cool video.
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm... I wonder if WTC will give me permission for Boulder 70.3... I run a contour on my bike almost all the time. I have it mounted so cleanly the drag add is minimal and the video is a blast to look at afterwards (well for me at least...) I will have to ask for permission so I don't get in trouble. No sense getting a DQ so I can have a video momento of a race.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is its about money. You are less likely to buy a FinisherPix type package if you have a video of the whole thing. And I bet there is a kickback from photo companies to WTC if they put in a 'no cameras' rule.
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [rpoulin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Issue is sponsorship.

Different companies pay for the rights to broadcast different events. Some have it. Some don't. You video the race and it is hurts WTC's leverage to sell their video of the event. These are lawyers talking - not us. I think it would help market the races and create a buzz.
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro's allowed at IM races??? [mrbaseball0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrbaseball0 wrote:
Here it is, called "My Day in Kona"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_wk8E9Qe6s

Pretty cool video.

At 4:45 he clearly had a non-gorilla pacer.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised to see a guy about half way into the ride at IM Oceanside this year with a GoPro mounted at the end of his aerobars - not only as a WTC event, but also because it was through Camp Pendleton. Assuming he must have obtained permission on multiple levels there but have not researched further.
Quote Reply