Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice, i love seeing other peoples 3d printer projects. here's mine

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I have to ask for the folks mounting it directly in front of the stem on road bars, what is the point? why not 4cm back on the big ol' stem with standard mount?

on TT bike, i have seen data that between the bars may not be the best choice. very n=1, since it is the only data i have seen

For me It is easier to see when mounted out front. The other and main reason I did this is because when mounted on top of the stem it looks like crap IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is how i feel it looks sticking out in space in front. guess i am too old school in bikes. on a oad bike that 4cm means nothing to look at, your head is not out in front of it
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SC_NICK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just simply beautiful. Jealous!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SC_NICK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great looking design, 3D printing is so neat. Here is my final design, it just so happens to be attached to a BTA, it is completely hidden by the bottle.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome design! Can we get a few more pics?

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, been working on it for some time. Please check out my website in the signiture line. I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
That's just simply beautiful. Jealous!

no need to be jealous, i have a couple more. pm me if you want one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to find me some of dat dare crow :)

rigged one up last night and Nick is sending me a nicer one(fingers crossed we get it worked out right)

if only I hadn't heard how many watts an Edge 500 can suck out of ya, this would all be unecessary :)

Shout out to you NIck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
My mate loves this mount you custom made. Have you started making them yet for sale. Cos he would be interested.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's how I mounted the Garmin above a water bottle in the aerobars. Just bought 2 feet of 12 gauge wire at Home Depot for ¢.78 and used some needle nose pliers to shape a diameter slightly larger than the water bottle cage:

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm posting this for all the short fellows out there.

being 5'3" i don't have a lot of retail space for tt bar bottle and computer. i took what the guy on page 7 did and made a slight change.

what he did was put the zip ties on then computer then taped it on. probably a good idea. i mounted the bracket on using the o-rings given. that significantly decreased the amount of play i got. perhaps i got more play because i had to connect two zipties together since they were not long enough.

i'm comfortable riding without clear tape but i guess it couldn't hurt to put it on. just in case.

the kurt kinetic computer is now off :-D

john
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Sugru to attach my Garmin mount to my Pro AeroFuel bracket.

Last edited by: rlanger: Jun 4, 13 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [rlanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love all the Macgyver enthusiasm affixing a myrage of crap to your bikes, but you realize the BarFy already makes a TT mount, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Design Cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought both styles in February...no problems with either. Great mounts!
Marty
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I have to ask for the folks mounting it directly in front of the stem on road bars, what is the point? why not 4cm back on the big ol' stem with standard mount?

on TT bike, i have seen data that between the bars may not be the best choice. very n=1, since it is the only data i have seen

My screen on my 500 broke one day while riding. The only thing I can think is from resting my shoulders on the handlebars while descending putting pressure on the screen with my sternum. I had to pay Garmin to repair it, and then I've used several in front of the stem mounts since. Most notably now my Tillquist mount.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Love all the Macgyver enthusiasm affixing a myrage of crap to your bikes, but you realize the BarFy already makes a TT mount, right?

I'm well aware of the Barfly, but you do realize that solution may not work for everyone, right?

With my aero bottle in place, there's no comfortable spot for me to mount the barfly on my aerobars. My solution is perfect, for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure thing, I mean why not make an aero mike more un-aero, right?
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 5, 13 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jeffmpollock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

New to this group. I know nothing about the acronymns or lingo used in your profession/hobby, but I like designing and producing machined components. So....I was contacted thru a friend, to fabricate a mount similar to the "Morten T." design, for his Garmin GPS. To adapt it to a 'Propel' bike, I believe manufactured by Giant bike. Just finished prototype #2 today. I should have the design finalized by mid July 2013. This bike has a 33mm distance between centers for the 2 M5 bolts on bottom. It is fabricated from 6061T6 Aluminum and I plan to black and/or clear anodize the production units. Here is the good news...my original prototype weighed in at about 10 grams, and I've incorporated additional weight reduction. After reading the other posts on this thread, upon completion of this project, I plan to pursue a somewhat universal mount for bicycles with a different hole spacing.

I don't have the bicycle to show the actual mount up.

As soon as I figure out how to add pics to this forum I'll post pics!

Stay tuned,

Sam H
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SAMHYTO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool

Upload Tour pic here http://photobucket.com/ and then inset the URL from the picture

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rlanger wrote:
I used Sugru to attach my Garmin mount to my Pro AeroFuel bracket.

I am amazed by the ingenuity. This one in particular. I like seeing the torpedo mounts and having tri bike, I am using that so had to rig up something that would suit. A few test rides and a few strips of krazy glue did the trick. I will post some pics but far less of a 'wow' factor than some of the artistry on this thread.

The use of spokes, wire, zip ties, putty, all smart in their own unique way. This is the ultimate Tri geek forum!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

[/URL[/img][/URL[/img]
[/url][/img]
Last edited by: SAMHYTO: Jul 12, 13 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Design finalized! Until I get feedback....

GPS interlock is very positive. Widened the entry/exit slot, so you don't have to have the GPS perfecftly at 90 degrees to engage or disengage.

Weight is 9 grams according to the bike shop. Will get an exact weight as soon as I can get down to a pawn shop (they have really accurate scales for buying gold).

It will mount to both the upper and lower holes on the Giant Propel - 'neck' (hope I have the right nomenclature here)

Making a couple units today for black anodize.

Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures, taken from my cell.

Sam

[/URL[/img][/URL[/img][/URL[/img]
Last edited by: SAMHYTO: Jul 15, 13 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the weight of 9 gram is without bolt, right ?

My mount weight 10,2 gram without bolt

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morten,

Yes, the weight is without the bolts.

How many hours do you think you put in the entire R+D process to produce the mount for your bike.

I believe I am into this one for 35-40 hours. This includes CAD, CAM, setting up tools, setting up the CNC, cycle time for 3 prototypes, deburring, polishing, updating the design, fixturing, reverse engineering the neck, etc, etc.

I can see why you don't want to manufacture yours, you can't recoup your investment on small lot production.

Sam
Quote Reply

Prev Next