Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike Fit - sore neck!
Quote | Reply
I just bought a cervelo dual 10. An awesome ride.

i'm 6"3 with quite long femurs - i was sized up on a 58cm. I thought the fit was good, however after being out on it a few times, my neck is quite sore. My handle bars are quite a bit lower then my seat which is obviously better for aerodynamics but not so good for comfort if i'm doing longer than a sprint.

the seat feels at the right height, and the distance between my seat and my bars feels good. however, i strain to tilt my neck up to get a good view of the road and according to my bike shop, my stem can't go any higher. i have not been sized on a 61cm frame.

does it sounds like i may have the wrong frame size?? or is it simply teething pains with the new set up (it's my first tri bike) and my neck will soon get used to it and i'll get a better view of the road - at the moment i can't wear sunglasses as the top of the frame blocks my view as i'm trying to see the road.

i know it's impossible to say for sure unless you can see the fitting, but i was just wondering if there are any other tall people out there on a 58 and comfortable?? i think it just comes down to the difference in height b/w my seat and my aero bars.....

thanks for any and all assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Fit - sore neck! [triman05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For how long have you been riding that setup?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also just got a Dual 10. I am 6' 1/2" with long femurs as well. My shop sized me on a 56", so the 58" you are on sounds reasonable. My neck is also a bit strained with the stem flipped in the up postion. My assumption is that I wil get used to it but only time will tell. Great bike though. Did you get the Bontrager wheels or the Easton's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no magic on the neck problem. You just have to get stronger and get used to it.

Welcome to getting aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my neck is often a little sore, after long rides in the aerobars

and although I have not been on the TT bike in a while, I rode 400 miles on a road bike, much of it in the drops, and my neck feels a little sore now

have you increasaed your mileage in the aerobars lately?

this may be a cause
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents.

You probably are not used to the new set up yet. It took my neck weeks to get accustomed to a lower position on my bike.

Also, more comfort does not always translate to more speed/power on the bike. You have to suffer on your bike to go fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thought... during the winter I have very few neck aches but in the spring it starts get very sore on the right side. It also coincides with the start of lawn cutting season. Pulling the lawnmower with my right arm was causing the neck problem. Just a thought.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just need to get used to it.

There's a fine balancing act of sighting the road ahead of you,and keeping your head tucked down so you sight whats 10-12 ft in front of you.

I ride out in the country,so its a little safer to stay aero.
Not sure where you train,but be careful .Don't rush getting used to riding in the aero position and risk your safety.

You indicated that you had long femurs.
I would spend some time on flexibilty and core strength.This will make your saddle time easier.

Enjoy the new steed!

Fish

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your neck is weak. It sucks, but give it time. With my new rig I had to put in about 400 miles of neck, shoulder and tricep pain before it subsided. It's fine now. I couldn't believe it had to hurt that bad to get used to it, but that's what it is. Shorter sessions on a trainer (1/2 hour each) should give you some conditioning time with some neck relief. Once you're through the 400 or so miles, you'll be fine. If you're not after 400 miles, go see your fitter again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the responses - i thought that i might just need to suffer through it for a bit. i've literally done 60 miles since i purchased it so obviously need many more to adjust.

my mind is now at peace.

cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Fit - sore neck! [slower than U] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i went for the bontagers. more for the look. everything i read or everyone i asked couldn't tell the difference..... it's a sweet ride though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3 on a 58 P2SL. My first Tri bike. I used to spend a lot of time in the drops of my road bike trying to get myself ready. My neck still hurts after riding my tri bike (elbows too). I have done 3 1hr rides just trying to ease into it. Other that the neck pain though, I think it fits pretty good.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply