Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Nutrition
Quote | Reply
I'm currently in the trial stage of using different products to help dial in my nutrition for Ironman Texas.

Has anyone done a nutritional comparison on some of the more popular products on the market? I'm fortunate in the fact that my body adjusts pretty well to different products but haven't gone the Ironman distance before so wanted to ask you ST if on paper I seem to be missing a key 'ingredient'. (Note - I'm 5'9'' 160lbs)

One combination I'm looking at is using EFS & EFS Liquid Shot throughout the day

Another combination I'm looking at is using Infinit Ride/Run and Gu Brew/Gu Roctane drink throughout the day

*Mixing in Water, Perform as well

After typing I guess my question is would anyone recommend adding additional carbs, salt etc. I know this is a challenging quesiton not knowing how my body will react but any additional thoughts would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nutrition [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Infinit is a stand alone product. If you are supplementing it with anything besides water, you are doing it wrong.

I honestly can't imagine a better product.

---edit---
I've used it for several 70.3s as well as B2B Full, IMFL, and IMLC. I couldn't be happier.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: Mar 27, 13 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMMT last year, had one flask EFS liquid shot and one concentrated bottle w 3scoops efs drink and 2scoops carbo pro between the bars. Exact same thing in my special needs bag. Also carried water to chase everything which was the only thing I grabbed from the aid stations.
On the run I had 5-6 roctanes (easier to carry than the EFS flasks) and grabbed coke/perform/water from the aid stations. Happy gut all day long. I have cramped on occasion on long rides and in a half, but no cramping since using efs drink on the bike. Could also be I was better trained on the bike than in past years as well. Also popped the occasional salt pill, but probably didn't need to as it never got hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nutrition [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your one concentrated bottle have 3 scoops EFS and 2 scoops carbo pro or was that in two seperate bottles?

How often do they say you should be popping salt tabs on a hot day?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nutrition [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden - do you use Infinit Ride and than Infinit Run?

Do you carry it in multiple bottles at the recommend dosage or do you make it strong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do they have at IMTX?

that is your answer ;)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my own mix.
I use it just for the ride.
I mix up a concentrated 5 hr bottle with around 1500C in it and take water on the course.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
Did your one concentrated bottle have 3 scoops EFS and 2 scoops carbo pro or was that in two seperate bottles?

How often do they say you should be popping salt tabs on a hot day?

One concentrated bottle had all 5 scoops, easy way to carry around 500 cal. Add in a flask of EFS shot brings it up to 900 calories. Picked up the same thing in special needs to bring me up to 1800 so about 350/hr.
I think I've done 2 salt tabs an hour on a hot day (vegas in July - training, not racing). I honestly can't tell if it helped, the only difference I notice when I take salt pills on hot days is I come home wearing a lot more salt than normal. But I figure it can't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are interested in infinit send me a PM and I will give you a discount code

chris

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM Cabo I had 2 bottles with 4 scoops of EFS drink and 1 EFS ls in a bottle. (788 cal per bottle). I just picked up course water in between. For the run I used just the ls flask. I also did 1 salt tab every 1.5 hours on the bike and every 45 minutes on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use EFS liquid shot x 3 (1200 cals) + several clif bars, but I found that I bloated a little. I now just make my own home made mix of 2 parts maltodextrin 1 part fructose + 2 x nuun tabs + 2 scoops IM perform = 1400 calories in my Shiv bladder. Then some bars and other solids for the balance.

At most recent IM (the first time I've really got my nutrition right) I did the following on the bike

2820 cals, approx 560 per hour
- 200g maltodextrin, 100g fructose, 2 x IM perform scoop, 2 x nuun in Shiv bladder (1350 cals)
- 2 scoops IM Perform, 1 scoop Scivation Xtend (BCAA) + some fructose between the bars (200 cals)
- 2 x clif bars, broken into 6ths, in the dark speed works bento (500 cal)
- 12 x gummy worms (390 cals)
- 2 packet cola blocks (380 cals)
- water to thirst

every 5 mins alternate 1/6 clif (or other solid) then next 5 mins sip of "home made mix". So I'm eating solid every 10 mins and liquid every 10 mins if that makes sense.
That's what works for me, nutrition is very individual, experimentation is key

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nutrition [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same size as you. At IMWI last year, my first IM, I mixed 7 scoops of perform, 7 servings of hammer, and water in a 20 oz waterbottle and sipped on it throughout the bike.. Also took bonk bars at miles 40 and 80 on the bike. The mix was pretty gross but I was used to it from training.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nutrition [bigpaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The average athlete would taste one of these "Home Brews" and understand how BA Ironman are!
Quote Reply