Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tumb shifters on Aero bars
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried mounting thumb shifters on the inside of the aero bar extensions? So that thumb and index finger can be used to shift at the inside of the bars?

Thinking of trying something like the below link.

http://www.merlincycles.com/...ifters-10-speed.html
Quote Reply
Re: tumb shifters on Aero bars [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That will work fine.
MTB and aerobars commonly have the same diameter (22.2mm)

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back before STI (ah, the 80s), I mounted one of these below my brake lever inside the bars so I could shift from the hoods/drops. No reason it wouldn't work, but what's the advantage over standard bar end shifters?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look like nothing more than barends mounted on pods. Check these items from Rivendell:

http://www.rivbike.com/...p;show=12&page=1

I always thought it would be interesting to try mountain bike shifters on aero bars like you are describing. A bit bulky, but neat having a trigger shifter. But I prefer having a friction mode available, just in case something goes wrong, maybe I need 8 or 9 or whatever capability. The electronic stuff, the return to center stuff, it's cool, but . . .

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: tumb shifters on Aero bars [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i am building up a project bike over the winter (Softride Powerbeam) and was putting back the standard Shimano 9sp shifters. During breaking down the bike, I had put all related parts in plastic bags. So now I was going to put the the sifters back on (not in great condition though) and was shocked how heavy just the shifters were! I am not usually don't worry about weight but got me thinking.

Not sure if I am only the that thinks this, I find the bar end shifters not located in the best place. I usually have to move my hands out of aero position to get leverage on to move the shifters. I feel if the shifters are located closer to the thumb on the inside of the bars it may work nicely. Plus these shifters work as a clamp, and don't use a slug of metal inserted on the ID of the tubing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying, but I've been using Vision Metron shifters for a while now
http://www.visiontechusa.com/products/529/METRON-SHIFTER
Quote Reply
Re: tumb shifters on Aero bars [salmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, never saw these. The one from Paul Thumbies is just about what I was looking for. I may try low cost units to see how I like the location. Then go with the Paul.

I may go friction as well. I have 9sp, 10 sp stuff and don't see a real benefit between them. Marketing seems to keep making me buy the different stuff over time.

Off topic: I hear the new 11 sp has a wider cassette. With wider and wider rear ends, I can't think this is great for aero reasons. From 9 to 10 to 11, at the expense and durability, I am going kicking and screaming. Electronic shifting? forgetaboutit!
Quote Reply
Re: tumb shifters on Aero bars [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not know about those, they look really nice and look like they making shifting easier. Price is a little steep for what I am looking for right now. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cut your extensions such that the shifters are always in your hands, if possible. should not have to move hands to shift. if you do, what is the point of the extension not being used? needing a bit of extra drag?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mfrassica wrote:
So i am building up a project bike over the winter (Softride Powerbeam) and was putting back the standard Shimano 9sp shifters. During breaking down the bike, I had put all related parts in plastic bags. So now I was going to put the the sifters back on (not in great condition though) and was shocked how heavy just the shifters were! I am not usually don't worry about weight but got me thinking.

Not sure if I am only the that thinks this, I find the bar end shifters not located in the best place. I usually have to move my hands out of aero position to get leverage on to move the shifters. I feel if the shifters are located closer to the thumb on the inside of the bars it may work nicely. Plus these shifters work as a clamp, and don't use a slug of metal inserted on the ID of the tubing.

Another option is to swap out the internal expanders for JagWire bosses that clamp over the extension. A much lighter option/upgrade (saves 66g per cyclingnews.com).

I have an extra pair of these (gold color, unopened/unused), upgrade parts for a bike I no longer have. PM me if interested.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply