Anybody know about the slots available?

The only easy day was yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [triCSU1869] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triCSU1869 wrote:
Anybody know about the slots available?

Website says there will be 40 qualifying spots for 2014 Vegas 70.3 FAQ's

Last year there were only 30. Glad to see them increase that number as supposedly it is the largest Ironman 70.3 in the world in terms of registrants.

Initially there were 4 spots allocated to M35-39 and M40-44 before rolldown. All other groups had less.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/...etes/faqs.aspx#faq20

Would expect normal distribution and spots that are hotly contested.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [jheebner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to say is it sold out yet. I'm not worrying about qualifying yet for the big boy races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is sold out yet. Great venue and nice moderate to easy course. The ride is through some beautiful horse farms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are on facebook, the page devoted specifically to Augusta 70.3 is a good way to keep a check on the registration numbers.

As mentioned before, Augusta is the largest 70.3 as far as registrations go (In 2012 they allowed 3,400 people to sign up). I would bet you've got quite a bit of time before it fills up.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triCSU1869 wrote:
I meant to say is it sold out yet. I'm not worrying about qualifying yet for the big boy races.

My bad. On July 26th last year, the Facebook page said they they had sold out. So you have some time. Great race, though, so put your big boy pants on and start training!

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already training for this season. Unfortunately hemorrhoids have knocked me out for a week. And I'm glad to hear that it sells out in the summer, that gives me more time to save up and potentially do that and Miami 70.3... If you know, how competitive is the 20-25 age group?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz2LNIMdaqX

Looks like more than 25% went sub 5 last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm betting the seriously "downhill swim" played a part in that.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'ts pretty competitive at the top. I went 4:31 and finished 6th last year. It's my favoriate race of the year though, awesome course, especially the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was the relatively easy bike and pancake flat run (of which I blew up on).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jheebner wrote:
I thought it was the relatively easy bike and pancake flat run (of which I blew up on).

It's a fast course, no doubt. Last year the cloud cover helped the run from getting really hot. Funny thing about the bike that I've heard a lot of people say is that if you expect it to be flat, it will seem hilly. But, if you expect it to be hilly, it doesn't seem too bad. It's all about perspective, I guess.

Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
I'm betting the seriously "downhill swim" played a part in that.

jake

No. I went 4:52 at Augusta last year. It was the overcast and slightly drizzly conditions that made it fast.

If you compare the run times from last year to the year before, that was the big difference. Without sun and excessive heat, it made for a very fast run. The swim was more or less the same as past years.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Sohan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always one of my favorite races of the year. The swim is straight and fast. The bike is beautiful, not to challenging, but enough going on to keep you focused. Nice tree cover over some rolling hills. The run is flat and fast... The heat and humidity dictate the pace;) Last year I PR there because it was overcast and not to hot. The year before I struggled on the run because it was so nasty hot. The venue is as good as they come in the southeast. Best of Luck!

Please forgive typo's and poor grammer. Most posting performed on my not so smart phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Did it in '09 and it was a hot one. Coming in underprepared and not knowing a good bike pace will make any run seem hot though. Was my first HIM and thought it was a great race and great venue. Especially the swim...great swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jheebner wrote:
Yup. Did it in '09 and it was a hot one. Coming in underprepared and not knowing a good bike pace will make any run seem hot though. Was my first HIM and thought it was a great race and great venue. Especially the swim...great swim.

Did you wear a wetsuit?

I signed up for it this year. Looking forward to it.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I am MOP on a good day and I would say there is absolutely no need in Augusta if you don't already own one. The year I did it I think a floating piece of styrofoam beat me and I did 28min.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Did you wear a wetsuit?

I signed up for it this year. Looking forward to it.

From what I remember, 95% of the people wore wetsuits. Good Luck this year!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by competitive? You can search the age group results time on the Ironman website. I was in that age group last year. There were 2 slots and it rolled down to 4th place. Not sure if that is what you meant.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you ppl think Augusta compares to B2B? Pretty close?
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [rmhick2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmhick2 wrote:
How do you ppl think Augusta compares to B2B? Pretty close?

I've done both multiple times and Iike the Augusta course better. Mainly because I don't like flat bike courses. Prefer a few rollers. Which Augusta has. B2B is a great course and can be very fast. But the swim does require a little bit of navigating. If you get off course, or miss the current at B2B, you will have a hard time getting back on course. Augusta's swim is heads down and go. Just don't hit the bridge and be on the look out for the exit.

B2B...the weather is a toss up. You WILL encounter winds on the bike and last year they shifted mid ride. So we actually had a head to cross wind the whole time. Some years the weather is warm, other years cold. And sometimes, very cold then warm later in the day. Just don't know what you're going to get that time of the year in NC.

Augusta...run course is easier than B2B. Augusta is pancake flat and multiple loops of the downtown area. So TONS of crowd support all the way around the run with the exception of one 1/2 mile stretch just before completing the first loop. Other than that, expect to be cheered on. B2B has a few short steep kickers on the run. Nothing major or horribly long but enough that you'll notice it. The crowd support is great but there are stretches where there isn't really anyone.

I will say, B2B seems to get better every year though. SetUp Events does a great job and listens to its athletes. The move from the battleship to the downtown area, last year, made the event even better. A few kinks to work out on the run but I have no doubt they'll address that.

In a nutshell, Augusta: Heads down fast swim, rolling bike on great roads, fast, flat well supported run.
B2B: Fast swim as long as you navigate it well, flat fast bike with winds, run course with a few hills and great crowd support in spots.

-------------------------------------------------------
Check out {re}vici Upscale Casual Triathlon Apparel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As of right now there are 1,317 people registered, plenty of slots left
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [jillian_o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed easy swim, rolling to hilly bike, flat run. The run is the kicker. If its hot its miserable. Last year it drizzled/rained - and that was amazing. Id say a perfect course for a crappy swimmer, good cyclist, and average runner.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 [RWankles8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RWankles8 wrote:
Id say a perfect course for a crappy swimmer, good cyclist, and average runner.

That describes me to a T. Well, the crappy swimmer part is being generous. Did it the first year, rode .75IF because of the heat and still fell apart on the run...brutally fell apart. Guess you could say I over biked the conditions, but damn it was hot!
Quote Reply

Prev Next