Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...???
Quote | Reply
Its been 2 damn weeks, I Raead about guys winning judo matches a week afterwords and guys startng to run 10 days out. NOT HERE.

2 things here:

1: I thought this was supposed to be "out patient" surgery...I couldnt even stand because of all the drugs they gave me...how can I go home...

2: 2 weeks later all the progress in healing that happened in the first 6 days...slowed to a halt....

SO anyways, this sucks, im ready to get back in the ring, kick the bag, maybe choke somebody or slam an elbow into somebodies head but nooooooo this sharp pain in my groing is keeping me pretty much floored or stuck to tbeer drinking.

Double inguinal hernia surgery, left side feels 100%, right side....maybe like 60%....the thought of getting in the ring....NOOOOOT......

IS this normal for 13 days post surgery??? or am I fucked for life an doomed to never return to althetics...(yeah i spelled athletics wrong on purpose...dawg).

thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...??? [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got the cheap Chinese knock off version.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...??? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You got the cheap Chinese knock off version.

HEY!!!, I got the best thing svailable in this god forsaken hell hole....

seriousle, I got the best doc in China and he dosent think I have any problems but when going from laying down t standing up, there is some real pain....like harsh ass burning stabbing pain, Like the pain when the love of your life dumps you for another person...but at the top of my balls like 2 inches from th incision sight.

Lft side feels great, right side has this going on. Im ready to cut it open myself an pull out all the bullshit.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe that's where they implanted the tracking device.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...??? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Maybe that's where they implanted the tracking device.

hmmm it is beeping and a blinking light is showing through my skin there.....WTF mang!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IRONwolf wrote:
head but nooooooo this sharp pain in my groing is keeping me pretty much floored or stuck to tbeer drinking.

IS this normal for 13 days post surgery??? or am I fucked for life an doomed to never return to althetics...(yeah i spelled athletics wrong on purpose...dawg).

thanks...

Well, I had bilateral inguinal hernia repair almost 5 weeks and 4 days ago. I had 2 hernias on the left side (one direct, one indirect) and one on the right side. The surgery was performed through 2 inch incisions on each side of the lower abdomen and patches sutured in place. My surgeon said no exercise for 6 weeks. During Weeks 1-2 post-op, I dealt with constant burning pain in the general incision area that was controlled with Percocet. My walking was slow during that time and I took measured steps. If I made any fast unmeasured movements with my legs, I'd get a stabbing burning pain in one or both incision areas or in the crease on each side of the scrotum. Not fun, and it sounds like you're having it too. During Weeks 3-4 post-op, my walking became easier, more relaxed, with a greater range of motion, but getting up from a laying position was dicey and would often bring the buring pain to the same areas. I didn't get over this until late in Week 4. I started easy activity late in Week 4 post op (easy short swim, 15 minute easy walks). I am in the middle of Week 5 now and don't feel any pain on movement, but there is a weird lingering "pain" that feels like sunburn underneath the skin of the general incision area and the skin overlying this area has a degree of numbness to it. Actually, this mild burn under somewhat numb skin has been there the entire time, but it is the only remnant noticeable now.

Be patient. Let your body heal at it's own rate and don't compare yourself to others. It's not a contest.

Take advantage of the down time. You miss your sport, so use this time to study the philosophy or advanced tactics. It should be time well spent. You want to come back stronger than before. You need time to do that physically. You have the time now to do that mentally.

By the way, I'm 57 yo. You sound much younger. You'll do just fine. I know I will. Best wishes for a great year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me about 5-6 weeks to be completely back to normal, as I recall.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had inguinal hernia surgery back when I was 19. Took a full month to fully recover, but was playing baseball 2 weeks after. Funniest thing was that I had no idea what a hernia was until I went to the walk-in clinic to see why I had a lump in my ball sack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember all surgeries are different and so are all recoveries. You'll get there, just be patient. Push it but use your head.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I looked surgery was trauma. Takes weeks or months to heal. Heck, I dislocated my pinky finger 4 weeks ago and it's still swollen and painful. Injuries take time to heal.
Quote Reply
Re: HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...??? [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Be patient. Let your body heal at it's own rate and don't compare yourself to others. It's not a contest.

It is ST. Everything is a contest :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hernias are the most annoying surgeries to recover from. If you push too hard you can induce another failure. The more relapses you have the greater the chances for additional ruptures. It took three swings for me to get mine fully corrected and that was zero exercise for 2 months. Period.
Quote Reply
Re: HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...??? [seanindc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody, Ive been going on walks but thats about it. I punched the heavy bag a bit today but nothing serious.

Im just getting restless, My dad had this surgery and was running and hiking 2 weeks later, Im at 2 weeks and I cant run yet.

As for the pain, its strange. The left side (which was the bigger one of the 2) feels normal, no pain or stiffness, the right side, has this deep burning/pulling feeling like one of the posters above described and that didnt start until the day my stitches were removed.

Like I said, just restless and it would be nice to be able to wear my jeans, im getting sick of wearing warmups all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to take a wild guess that doing "225 5x5" squats two weeks out from double hernia surgery isn't the best thing to be doing for recovery. I can't think of anything that would create more abdominal pressure besides maybe getting run over by a truck.
Quote Reply
Re: HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...??? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
In Reply To:

It is ST. Everything is a contest :-)

If you thought that triathlon was a lousy spectator sport . . .

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will may be a slow process. Took me forever to heal. I didn't feel right for about 2 months and it wasn't fully healed for another 5 to 6 after that. I still get an odd feeling around my scar every once i a while to remind me that I am in my 40s.

Cycling was fine for me after about a month. I had the surgery in November, didn't do much until January 1, and was in pretty good cycling shape by the end of March. I am not sure I would have enjoyed any heavy lifting or getting hit in the stomach during that period though. But then again, now that I am completely healed a few years later, I wouldn't enjoy any heavy lifting or getting hit in the stomach...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you just gotta be patient. Mine was one side only and I was swimming 10 days later. It was slow and painful though, no flipturns. I recall that by that time I had the overall feeling of a "stitch in the side", but through my whole lower torso. I also felt vaguely like I'd been kicked in the junk an hour or so earlier.

By a coincidence, my dad had the same surgery about 6 weeks later and had a bitch of a time. I forgot all about that until you mentioned your dad. My dad ended up having to have an enema because he couldn't even bear down enough to have a BM. So, it could be worse. Maybe I did better than average, maybe you're doing - perhaps slightly worse than average based on your description, but way faster than the traditional pre-laproscopic surgery would've been.

Do you have the teflon mesh? If so, you'll eventually be stronger than "OEM", with a groin like a steel belted tire.

Just try to stay positive and remember that this chunk of time for healing is a small blip in the overall picture of your life.
Quote Reply
Re: HErnia Surgery, slow recovery time...WTF...??? [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi thanks for the reply. THe sharp pain that popped up seems to be getting better, today is wasnt so noticable. I got to the gym and did a really....reallllllly slow run for 2 miles (25 mins) wnad it disnt cause any pain, better than nothing. Ive been also walking around 3-5 miles a day and its been ok. Im keeping my fingers crossed that im starting to round the curve from that rough patch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill add that I was very lucky woth my initial recovery, I loaded up on fiber so the bathroom thing wasnt bad at all, and for some reason, I got really REALLY lucky snd didnt sneeze for well over a week, also very little coughing to deal with.

My left side (which was the worse side) feels almost good as new, but that pain that popped up on the right side, man. It got really bad yesterday but then today its been very tolerable. Again, hoping it continues to feel better and better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you loaded on the fibre and avoided issues in that department. Now that I'm thinking of my dad's experiences, I recall that he told me he wasn't warned at all about the constipatory nature of opiates coupled with the limitations on one's ability to push. It's a perfects storm really. In my case, it was mentioned in passing in an information packet they gave me. I was lucky I'd read it!

I remember in the few days immediately afterwards, the only chair in the house I could get out of on my own was a white plastic deck chair. It had high armrests I could push off of. Anyway, I was sitting in such a chair watching "Goldfinger". There was a scene where Bond was snooping about an was ambushed by Oddjob. (to later wake up on the table with the laser cutter aimed at his package.) Anyway, when Oddjob showed up, it was a startling surprise cut in the film, and I jolted a little in the seat, which hurt like hell. Otherwise, I lucked out on coughing and sneezing too.

Months or even as much as a year later, I'd have sharp pain during new movements. I believe I was told this would be expected as I worked through the scar tissue in the muscle fibres. I remember weightlifting and doing shoulder press. I was in the chair with the elevated footrests and leaned slightly to the side to lift the dumbbell from the floor. There was a stabbing pain in the hernia area. Just a blip, and not a symptom of a re-injury, but be warned, they're out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear the recovery is progressing on target. Hope you are back to fighting form soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnybefit, thank you man!!!

I think you are correct about the sharp occasional pains just coming from working through the scar tissue, makes sense and for the sports I do, im sure ill have lots of that as things progress. It was pretty amazing how quickly the initial progress was from needing help to get out of bed (day of surgery) to walking slow laps around the hospital ward (2nd day) to going for a 2 mile walk (4-5 days). I feel like my initial progress was as good or maybe a bit above average.

One thing I can tell you that really sucks is that Chinese toilet arent really like American/western toilets so when I have to go, I either have to be really motivated, or go find a "regular" toilet, the whole deep squat thing and sitting there for a few mins is pretty painful still.
Quote Reply