Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torque Wrenches?
Quote | Reply
Recommendations? Good/bad? Differences between manufacturers?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for beam style instead of click style. They are cheaper and more reliable. Click style wreches, especially cheaper ones, can require periodic calibration, or you risk over/under-torquing parts.

As for manufactures, I like my Park Tool TW-1 (high torque) and TW-2 (low torque) beam style wrenches. But really any hardware store version is fine - no need to be cycling specific. It can be a tricky to find one for lower torque spec (<6 Nm).

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [endorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endorphin wrote:
Go for beam style instead of click style. They are cheaper and more reliable. Click style wreches, especially cheaper ones, can require periodic calibration, or you risk over/under-torquing parts.

As for manufactures, I like my Park Tool TW-1 (high torque) and TW-2 (low torque) beam style wrenches. But really any hardware store version is fine - no need to be cycling specific. It can be a tricky to find one for lower torque spec (<6 Nm).

X2 on beam style. I also have the Park's, and my local shop uses the beam style also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a huge nerd for high end & well built tools, and I can vouch for the Effetto Mariposa torque wrench being one of my favorite tools of all time. Hell, it's even made its way into my jersey pockets on some rides, pretty much just because I can :)

At the very least, go click style, make sure you reset to zero after use, and don't buy one from harbor freight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem here with click style - use the Performance brand one.

Easy to travel with, the only downside for me has been that the setting isn't high enough for Quarq install.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on the Effetto Mariposa torque wrench -- my favorite tool, too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snap-on
CDI
Proto

Good - accurate
Bad - expensive
Good - My work has a zillion of them in all different ranges
Bad - I get lazy and forget to bring them back to work
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the Effetto Mariposa. If you fly with your bike, having a torque wrench along is almost mandatory. The Effeto is less than 7" long, so TSA won't confiscate it. I've donated 2 torque wrenches in the past 4 trips, and now only fly with the Effeto.
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answer #1: you really don't need a torque wrench for bike maintenance.

Answer #2: I also have the Forte brand $90 metric / click-type one. Seems pretty good for the money. Remember to set the dial to 0 for storage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Mariposa has burned me a few times. It took me many incidents before I stopped assuming it was user error, but the most recent spat a few weeks ago really convinced me. In short, it just doesn't click sometimes. I crushed a basebar like that, stripped a few screws and, most recently, cracked open the threaded boss on BOTH of my new sram red brake calipers. Not cool. Most cable tension screws are made to strip before the item in question cracks/breaks - which is awesome - but sometimes that just isn't feasible. Such is the case on those brakes. After I did it to the front, I was a bit concerned..double checked the torque setting, backed it all the way off, reset it... concluded I would have to go back to my old brake up front... did some more work, and then set the back brake.. POW. I had it set to 5nm... and I'd bet it cracked around 10 - so it's not like I had to be completely brutal to do it.
At this point I'm going to stick to feel a LOT more. I'll just be making stuff tight. I'll set the wrench too, but I'll let the pop surprise me, and otherwise be expecting to use feel.
A little dial model the size of the mariposa would be cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [perullo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that's not cool, and I'd be asking Effeto to make it right. Since it's a mechanical device, it's not like it can decide to click or not. Something is (apparently) wrong inside, so it needs to be looked at. Right or wrong, I walk my torque up in steps so that I don't try to go to desired value on the first tightening. That way I know things are working right before I get too tight.

But if you read above, you don't really need a torque wrench for bike maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smart idea - walking it up from 2nm etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [perullo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear these guys are pretty responsive about supporting their products. There's also a link to register your wrench and get it (re)calibrated...

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/giustaforza-ii-216
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endorphin wrote:

Do you need 2 different wrenches for hi/lo, or can you buy one? These torque wrenches are typically a bit pricey!
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
endorphin wrote:

Do you need 2 different wrenches for hi/lo, or can you buy one? These torque wrenches are typically a bit pricey!

You need both to do every bolt on a bike. The TW-1 does 0-7 Nm and the TW-2 does 0-70 Nm. You wouldn't have enough precision using the TW-2 for low torque bolts since the increments on the scale are too large. The TW-1 couldn't do high torque applications like the cassette lock ring or threaded BB.

In practice, I think you could get away with just having a low torque wrench. It's really only the low torque bolts (stems, steerer tube, brakes, seat post, derailleurs, etc.) where accuracy is critical. Plus or minus a few Nm won't make or break your BB but it could certainly cause your handlebars to crack or slip.

And properly torquing bolts is more important for carbon parts than for aluminum parts. IME, aluminum is a lot more forgiving, at least when it comes to over-torquing.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm comfortable with a cheap harbor freight click style wrench for the larger bolts on my bike. Pretty much just bb and crank arms though. I'd recommend something better than what harbor freight offers for small bolts and lightweight parts, especially if you have to ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endorphin wrote:
And properly torquing bolts is more important for carbon parts than for aluminum parts. IME, aluminum is a lot more forgiving, at least when it comes to over-torquing.
And having that torque wrench in hand saves you how? A torque wrench is but just 1 thing that can go wrong. The end user (and for that matter the OEM) has no idea about running torque, nut factors, torque-preload variability, ... All these things matter, and having a torque wrench is false protection unless you know the others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Craftman Professional - got one with low torque and metric (they will all do Nm, but the standard ones can be harder to read). May need to order it.

Get a nice set or two of metric hex heads - short/long and/or ball/straight

Click v. beam style -- whatever. Wind down to zero for storage.

If I'm going for 5 Nm, I'll set it for 4 initially then finish at 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Looks like the Giustaforza is the wrench to get for travelling and on the go maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased it based on Dan's review. No regrets at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endorphin wrote:

I have a Park tool beam style. Pretty inexpensive, I can't vouch for its accuracy, but I have never had a problem with a loose bottom bracket or crankset, or getting it off, so the torque must be okay.
Quote Reply
Re: Torque Wrenches? [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Torque_wrenches_and_one_in_particular__364.html

http://www.probikekit.com/...HAjLUCFQyDnQod_DsAVQ

Man, $142 for a wrench is a lotta money. Just sayin'.
Quote Reply