Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper)
Quote | Reply
http://www.news.com.au/...dukor0-1226557728966

Quote:

"HELL yes," Lance Armstrong said when asked if he wanted to return to elite sport.
"Hell no" is the reaction from the greats of the ironman triathlon community Armstrong wants to join.

Hawaii ironman world champion Pete Jacobs has told News Limited he does not want to see Armstrong back in the sport after he confessed to systematic doping."We are all done with the cheating and lies," he said.
And former triple world champion Craig Alexander wants the sport of ironman to rewrite the rules so that no athlete who has tested positive can ever compete again.

It is understood Armstrong's end game has always been to race in ironman, specifically the Hawaii triathlon world championship that has been dominated in recent years by Jacobs and fellow Australians Alexander and Chris McCormack.

"The advantages, because he could train so much harder, are still there," Jacobs said.

"That would be an unfair advantage. If the body is fitter, stronger, it is still effective. It (Armstrong's body) would have to retain some of that."

Armstrong has won two 70.3 (half ironman distance) triathlons and it is understood he sees the sport as the best way to make money given his sponsors have deserted him.

The Texan won in Hawaii, Florida and finished second to highly regarded Kiwi Bevan Docherty in Panama.

Armstrong's time in his Florida win, 3:45:38, is genuinely world class and his 3:50:55 in Hawaii broke champion McCormack's record by several minutes.

Lance Armstrong waits for the start of the Ironman Panama 70.3 triathlon in Panama City, Panama. Source: Getty Images
Jacobs spoke out after the second part of Armstrong's interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which the American confirmed he wanted to return to elite competition.

"Hell yes, I'm a competitor," Armstrong said when asked if he wanted to compete in sport again. "It's what I've done my whole life. I love to train. I love to race.

"Not the Tour de France, but there are a lot of other things I could do."

Armstrong was planning to take part in last October's Hawaii ironman in Kona before the scandal broke. Jacobs said he would not welcome a return by Armstrong to ironman triathon if the disgraced rider should get his suspension lifted or reduced by turning whistleblower.

"No, not really, I think it would cause too much of a stir," said Jacobs, who won the 2012 Hawaii ironman just days after the full extent of Armstrong's doping was revealed by USADA.

"This is a a sport driven by age groupers. People would not be happy to see him back."

Alexander yesterday called for his sport, which abides by the World Anti-Doping Agency code, to take a tougher stance against drug cheats.

"We need to draw a line in the sand and say 'no'," he said. "This is a great time to take stock and put new rules in place for zero tolerance."

Lance Armstrong competes the run leg of a triathlon. Source: Getty Images
Triathlon Australia chief executive Anne Gripper has derided Armstrong as far worse than a drug cheat.

Her opinions are particularly significant because she set up the anti-doping unit at cycling's world governing body in the wake of the 2006 Operation Puerto scandal.

"If he was just a drug cheat, I always believe you should do a sanction and have the right to come back to the sport," Gripper said.

"He's not a drug cheat - he's a bully, he's a manipulator, he's been incredibly unfair to a whole lot of people and he's a dead-set liar.

"(He's) not a single, one-off liar, he's a pathological liar.

"I don't want those people in our sport."

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Last edited by: PJC: Jan 20, 13 22:27
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC CEO said last week under no circumstances would they be withdrawing as WADA signatory, so lance isnt racing unless he gets a mammoth deal from WADA, which USADA would have to sign off on. It would have to mean coming clean about USAC and UCI im quite sure to even get close to that ballpark, 2 things he didnt seem willing to do in his interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fully support at lifetime ban on any, I mean any doping infraction by any athlete in any sport. Period. Very simple. No second chance ever for anybody.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give him a lifetime ban as pro and let the guy be an age grouper. I say they are scared of him! NO matter WHAT anybody says the guy is full of athletic talent. Dope or no dope. If they let him into Kona he will be a man on a mission and T.V. ratings will soar.

Not saying what the man did was right but when 90% of the other guys do it and only get small bans it's not right. Even ban the guy from road racing but to ban him from everything is freaking crazy. Make him an age grouper and move on!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
I fully support at lifetime ban on any, I mean any doping infraction by any athlete in any sport. Period. Very simple. No second chance ever for anybody.

Interesting there was just an interview on the radio here with John Fahey the head of WADA and he said he can name everyone who ever helped him and they would never lift his lifetime ban.

When it get's podcasts I will put up a link.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [white79bu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
white79bu wrote:
Give him a lifetime ban as pro and let the guy be an age grouper. I say they are scared of him! NO matter WHAT anybody says the guy is full of athletic talent. Dope or no dope. If they let him into Kona he will be a man on a mission and T.V. ratings will soar.

Not saying what the man did was right but when 90% of the other guys do it and only get small bans it's not right. Even ban the guy from road racing but to ban him from everything is freaking crazy. Make him an age grouper and move on!

Fuck that. We don't want him in the sport, period.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really can't post anything without swearing can you?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
white79bu wrote:

Fuck that. We don't want him in the sport, period.

John

We who? Not all "We" as some want to see him compete.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanaki wrote:

Stick a lab rat on a treadmill, you'll get just as much out of it. If he wants to keep doing the Livestrong thing and helping cancer survivors/victims/families, I'm all for it. If he wants to compete? Let him find some unsanctioned sports/races to do. The "we" that want to see him compete are basically saying they don't care about doping in sports.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
You really can't post anything without swearing can you?

Yes, and quite often I do post without recourse to profanity/vulgarity. But feel free to fixate all you like.

John

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanaki wrote:
We who? Not all "We" as some want to see him cheat.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Hanaki wrote:

Stick a lab rat on a treadmill, you'll get just as much out of it. If he wants to keep doing the Livestrong thing and helping cancer survivors/victims/families, I'm all for it. If he wants to compete? Let him find some unsanctioned sports/races to do. The "we" that want to see him compete are basically saying they don't care about doping in sports.

John

Until it is one and done the past cheats will always be there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't care if they let him compete age group.

So we are basically saying a baseball doper couldn't play beer league or an NFLer couldn't play organize flag football ever.

Please people think too highly of stupid age group tri

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivansie wrote:
I really don't care if they let him compete age group.

So we are basically saying a baseball doper couldn't play beer league or an NFLer couldn't play organize flag football ever.

Please people think too highly of stupid age group tri

Well, for one, baseball and football are not WADA signatories, and pro's/elites can later compete as age groupers (See some of the whine threads about that on here as well), so it's not a good parallel. Two, I'm not taking the stance just for triathlon. Across the board, I wouldn't want him in any WADA signatory sport. If he wants to go play beer league baseball or whatever, more power to him. Sanctioned sports? Nope. He had his bite at the apple.

John

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Hanaki [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just so I can keep up.... Are you all still assuming that triathlon is a clean sport now?? You are kidding right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eve if we want to romatizice age group tri it is beer league it is flag football. Those are not Olympic sports hence the wada issue

We can disagree and that is fine but if the guy gets his ban reduced I don't give a crap if he shows up in my age group at a tri or wants to do the local crit series. It's not my job anyways.

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you understand how most in the world is organized.
You cannot cheat in a sport that is following Wada and keep competing in another. You cannot cheat in cross country skiing, get caught and then start running. Also remember that the pro vs AG is triathlon and US specific.

But you can be thrown out of the Olympics for cheating and then run on a full scholarship at a NCAA university (yes it has happen)

If you want to dope and compete, stay away from real sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Pedalsaurus-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one in this thread has claimed that triathlons are clean. Most people are saying that if you get caught doing the crime, do the time.

Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I don't think you understand how most in the world is organized.
You cannot cheat in a sport that is following Wada and keep competing in another. You cannot cheat in cross country skiing, get caught and then start running. Also remember that the pro vs AG is triathlon and US specific.

But you can be thrown out of the Olympics for cheating and then run on a full scholarship at a NCAA university (yes it has happen)

If you want to dope and compete, stay away from real sports.

I don't think you got my point since you assumed from the get go I don't know how stuff works but ill try to make my point again which is my opinion. Age group tri is recreational it is the intramural league in college. It's a signatory because its an Olympic sport if it wasn't there will be no reason for it. So as much as we want to make it sound like a big deal its is my soccer masters league which by the way has tons of ex pros and nobody will care if one of them s
Doped. My point is not the regulations it's the fact that I as opposed to Jacobs or Alexander would give a crap if the guy shows up in my age group. It's dumb recreational race nothing more big deal

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Pedalsaurus-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedalsaurus-Tex wrote:
Just so I can keep up.... Are you all still assuming that triathlon is a clean sport now?? You are kidding right?

It will become much more clean if he's banned. It will become much more dirty if he's not.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [white79bu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest problem with this (setting aside the doping angle) is the time difference between the Pro and AG race. So, he'd never have a chance to "lead" the race. Of course WTC/NBC could work their magic to make it seem like he's leading the race if they wanted to, but having Lance in Kona really completes the full "sucking the money tit" if Lance were to actually lead the race (say into T2). Winning the AG race at Kona for Lance would be like winning the ToC in cycling. Great, but doesnt mean zilch in the grand scheme of things for the big boys.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, can Nina Kraft race Kona again if she qualifies?

Pink on/off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing in the rules to allow that.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [vmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vmac wrote:
Just curious, can Nina Kraft race Kona again if she qualifies?

Pink on/off.
She can, but that doesn't mean she should. However, that's the way the rules are (currently) written.

If she also had a "lifetime ban", she wouldn't be racing either.

There's always Strava.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply

Prev Next