Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brett Sutton Article [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
ZingUK wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:
I don't want to search who you are. I would assume you'd have enough respect for our discussion that when you make it "personal" you atleast stand behind that. I've not said anything negative about sutton, teamTBB or you or anyone. I've stated my thoughts, brought up facts that sutton and teamTBB willingly talk about. So again,I was hoping for a civil discussion, and ill just let your posts speak for the manner in which you gone to, to make/prove a point. And that's all good, I've stuck to the facts in this situation and would hope you could atleast respect that. But if you need to call me a coward, call me a coward. I am happy with the fact that this thread has opened alot of eyes and its evident by who is and isn't posting anymore. So in that manner, I think we've been able to shed more light into teamTBB and sutton and how they are handling his interactions with juniors in the sport.

I'm also posting my views and just trying to understand where other people's views come from. Belive I do respect your viewpoint and I agree with you 90%

The reason Jordan et al have gone quiet is they have professional reputation to protect. I would bet you $100 they haven't particularly changed thier views 180 degrees otherwise they would come on and say as much.....silence does not provie anything one way or the other, that's why silence is so powerful

In this case though silence does nothing to protect their reputations, it only lowers them even further that they will continue to lend their tact support even in light of the information that has come out on this thread.

Another one refusing to reply to the questions. Thank you TravisT for also being very predicable. I have no idea what thier silence means, perhaps just there are more circumspect than you are, who knows?
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [ZingUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you go back and read my response to your questions above then rewrite that post. You are in such a frenzy to attack people on here you don't even take the time to fully read their responses.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by BDoughtie [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Jan 15, 13 12:30
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
Why don't you go back and read my response to your questions above then rewrite that post. You are in such a frenzy to attack people on here you don't even take the time to fully read their responses.

I honestly don't really understand what you mean? In the original post I put up with the questions I mentioned you by name as one of the people I'd like to hear your response and you didn't answer the questions so that's why I responded the way I did simply stating the truth not attacking. If there is confusion in my understanding of your response I apologies, I did re-read it and came to the same conclusion.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
I don't want to take your money and I've already heard 1st hand about their thinking. So you would be wrong in your thinking.

They are silent mainly because of their reputation. With the info that has been provided, it doesn't make much sense in trying to justify why they talk up or went with sutton. With better understanding they probaly see that it's just not a valid point to try and defend why they worked with him (while admitting that they thought sutton was not interacting with juniors anymore and thus could justify working with him among other reasons).

Like I said I'm glad this info is out there because from the comments I've received, it's been very enlightening.

Likewise if Sutton really is working with kids then I'm also happy its out there, of course it should stop. If he happens to be in a room with kids supervised (and I don't mean on a regular basis, eg giving a talk about sports performance of something) then again I can live with that, I simply don't see the threat especially after 20+ of that threat never materialising (yes I'm waiting for someone to say "that we know of")

I have also received private messages so perhaps people are just telling us what they think we want to hear, who knows?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post #318. Still not sure why you are hell bent on insulting and attacking people who care about what should be an important issue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I deleted my last post and will rewrite it here. I don't any to take your money and based on 1st hand interactions, ill say your wrong. Ill just leave it at that and wait to see if others chime in. They may or they may not, and I understand why they won't.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZingUK wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ZingUK wrote:
so if anyone had access to mnors and expressed his sexuality towards them and created an adultation culture 100 more powerful than Sutton's it would be Elvis.

Did it occur to you that the reason you will receive deathly silence is because your question is preposterous?

Nope, not in the slightest. I'm asking people about thier priciples across the board. Why is it preposterous, is Elvis' rape of Precillas somehow different from Suttons? Isn't that me asking about the same thing?

You didn't ask about anyone's principles across the board. You asked what they think of Elvis.

If you want to know what my principles are across the board they would be this: A person who committed a great crime should be given the opporunity to show remorse for what they did and the opportunity to reform their fatal flaws. But every individual is different. I will allow Sutton the courtesy of not judging him the way I judge the Elvis - a man who died alone in a hotel room form a drug overdose. I do not know if Elvis had regret for what he did and if he worked towards reforming his flaws. I suspect not. So in the end, I judge him a tragic failure. Some people who know him well believe that Sutton has true regret, though I don't think he is working to reform his flaws nor do I think that many of his supporters even understand what those basic flaws are. I am quite certain you do not.

Does that suffienceintly explain why your question is preposterous?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
I deleted my last post and will rewrite it here. I don't any to take your money and based on 1st hand interactions, ill say your wrong. Ill just leave it at that and wait to see if others chime in. They may or they may not, and I understand why they won't.

Agreed, not fair to pull other in so I will also delete the $100 bet post
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
[
You didn't ask about anyone's principles across the board. You asked what they think of Elvis.

If you want to know what my principles are across the board they would be this: A person who committed a great crime should be given the opporunity to show remorse for what they did and the opportunity to reform their fatal flaws. But every individual is different. I will allow Sutton the courtesy of not judging him the way I judge the Elvis - a man who died alone in a hotel room form a drug overdose. I do not know if Elvis had regret for what he did and if he worked towards reforming his flaws. I suspect not. So in the end, I judge him a tragic failure. Some people who know him well believe that Sutton has true regret, though I don't think he is working to reform his flaws nor do I think that many of his supporters even understand what those basic flaws are. I am quite certain you do not.

A good answer and at least you are balanced s in a sense that is what I am trying to get at. Are people balanced in their views, I think not and I think the attacks and comments made by some people are unfair. I asked the question about someone who is a well known all American heor (as I said before) to see who would have the same outrage against him to at least get people to think about what they are saying. No I still don't think it's preposterous in a discussion like this to ask people why they say what they say and if their thinking is consistent. The fact that no one has directly answered the questions (at least you semi answered them) tells it's own story, they are uncomfortable speaking about someone some of them have possibly listend to and enjoyed for many years without a hint of guilt or screaming that he was a paedophile. That's why I think the questions are pertinent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZingUK wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
[

A good answer and at least you are balanced s in a sense that is what I am trying to get at. Are people balanced in their views, I think not and I think the attacks and comments made by some people are unfair. I asked the question about someone who is a well known all American heor (as I said before) to see who would have the same outrage against him to at least get people to think about what they are saying. No I still don't think it's preposterous in a discussion like this to ask people why they say what they say and if their thinking is consistent. The fact that no one has directly answered the questions (at least you semi answered them) tells it's own story, they are uncomfortable speaking about someone some of them have possibly listend to and enjoyed for many years without a hint of guilt or screaming that he was a paedophile. That's why I think the questions are pertinent

If you want yourself to be taken seriously why don't you not make statements that are blantant lies as both Brooks and I, the only people of the ones you decided to "call out" who so far have responded, both stated that we would react the exact same way to Elvis as we have to Sutton. I don't need to go line by line on your questions to say that his behavior was just as disgusting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think when you commit crimes against a junior you forfeit the right to then interact with them purposely and with intent for the rest of your career. So yes I think it's wrong that we have people and sutton himself that knowingly and with intent give him access to juniors. You feel differently, but I would think a coach forfeits his right to interact with juniors in any coaching/Tri/team environment. I wouldn't want him in a room full of 30 kids, I think he loses that right by his past actions.

That's my whole beef, that's it.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
[

If you want yourself to be taken seriously why don't you not make statements that are blantant lies as both Brooks and I, the only people of the ones you decided to "call out" who so far have responded, both stated that we would react the exact same way to Elvis as we have to Sutton. I don't need to go line by line on your questions to say that his behavior was just as disgusting.

Apologies, I missed you post 318 so yed thanking for at least semi responding. Ask any phychologist the reason I put in the questions line by line and asked for responses line by line, It's because if forces you through a certain process. Both you and Brooks are too young to have much vested interest in Elvis so easier for you to reply than someone who has enjoyed his music and movies for many years as almost all of the older generation will have.

So now I can go sleep at least knowing you and Brooks think Elvis was paedophile and should have been licked up for what he did and kept well away from minors for the rest of his life. Good that you are consistent and I'm not being sarcastic here I promise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
I think when you commit crimes against a junior you forfeit the right to then interact with them purposely and with intent for the rest of your career. So yes I think it's wrong that we have people and sutton himself that knowingly and with intent give him access to juniors. You feel differently, but I would think a coach forfeits his right to interact with juniors in any coaching/Tri/team environment. I wouldn't want him in a room full of 30 kids, I think he loses that right by his past actions.

You view is absolutely fine and I accept that, I never actually said otherwise. Again like Travis you are consistent across the board and I take no issue with it, that is all I was asking all of you.

My view doesn't differ very much at all from yours and I hope I would also be consistent. If someone commits and offence then I give them the opportunity for redemption and they recommit then off to jail for life or whatever punishment suits the offence, no second chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZingUK wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

You view is absolutely fine and I accept that, I never actually said otherwise. Again like Travis you are consistent across the board and I take no issue with it, that is all I was asking all of you.

My view doesn't differ very much at all from yours and I hope I would also be consistent. If someone commits and offence then I give them the opportunity for redemption and they recommit then off to jail for life or whatever punishment suits the offence, no second chance.

If your view doesn't differ from our why the attacks? I don't think either of us ever said Sutton could not be rehabilitated, forgiven as much as anyone can be for actions such as his and move on with his life. Just not in a coaching capacity. Definitely not of minors in absolutely any setting and preferably not at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
[
If your view doesn't differ from our why the attacks? I don't think either of us ever said Sutton could not be rehabilitated, forgiven as much as anyone can be for actions such as his and move on with his life. Just not in a coaching capacity. Definitely not of minors in absolutely any setting and preferably not at all.

I'm not attacking Travis, just asked some questions of people who have been very voiciferous and some who have attacked Jordan and Brandon for their views I think unfairly. If you feel attacked that's up to you but apart from missing your earlier post which you fairly pointed and I apologised for I don't think I'm attacking anyone.

The bottom line for you and Brooks and I is we are at least consistent:

You (as in you and Brooks plural) Believe Elvis was a paedophile, I think Elvis was a paedophile
You think he should have been punished for it, I think he should have been punished for it
You think he should have been allowed to record in a studio and make movies afterwards (assuming no kids there of course, I think the same
You think he should never have been allowed to play live to an audience in Vegas or anywhere else because there were minors present, I think he should have been and I think it left a very good positve legacy but only so long as he wasn't allowed near the minor on an unchaparoned basis

Substitue Elvis for Sutton and change the place of work and at least the three of us are consistent

So my view does differ a little at least from some of you I asked the questions of and quite a lot from others who have stated they don't believe he should be coaching anyone anywhere
Last edited by: ZingUK: Jan 15, 13 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZingUK wrote:
TravisT wrote:
[

I'm not attacking Travis, just asked some questions of people who have been very voiciferous and some who have attacked Jordan and Brandon for their views I think unfairly. If you feel attacked that's up to you but apart from missing your earlier post which you fairly pointed and I apologised for I don't think I'm attacking anyone.

The bottom line for you and Brooks and I is we are at least consistent:

You (as in you and Brooks plural) Believe Elvis was a paedophile, I think Elvis was a paedophile
You think he should have been punished for it, I think he should have been punished for it
You think he should have been allowed to record in a studio and make movies afterwards (assuming no kids there of course, I think the same
You think he should never have been allowed to play live to an audience in Vegas or anywhere else because there were minors present, I think he should have been and I think it left a very good positve legacy but only so long as he wasn't allowed near the minor on an unchaparoned basis

Substitue Elvis for Sutton and change the place of work and at least the three of us are consistent

So my view does differ a little at least from some of you I asked the questions of and quite a lot from others who have stated they don't believe he should be coaching anyone anywhere

Fair enough. The process felt a bit antagonistic but I'll take the responisiblity for reading it that way. It seems a main reason for your posts on the topic seems to be defense of Jordan and Brandon and not a defense of Sutton. I can understand your point but they should be held to a much higher standard then anyone else as recognized ambassadors of the sport. One of them supporting Sutton carries far more weight then anything I or you say against him. As this thread progressed and it became more and more apparent that Sutton is still involved in coaching minors in complete defiance of the standards anyone even accused of what he did should hold themselves to. Jordan and Brandon simply disappeared leaving their previous posts in support of Sutton and a deafening silence in response to the growing information that can only be construed as either support or a lack of care. It's sad that people in the sport can be far more up in arms over the involvement in triathlon of someone who cheated rather then someone who raped a young girl. Strange where people can draw the lines for for priorities and forgiveness.