Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brett Sutton Article [DaveyHoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sutton's right - let the kids play. They'll play with joy and imagination which is it's own worthwhile result. Feeling the beauty of the game is something that won't happen in over structured practice sessions at early ages

It's my view that we have sucked the life, the elation and joy out of kids sports. I've been a passive side-line observer myself the last few years, as my son has worked his way through and I have coupled that with my own experience a generation ago.

What is astonishing is that in Canada, we have this absolute frenzy of organized kids sports that starts up for middle and upper middle class kids( that right there is saying something), at around ages 6 - 7. They progress though house-league and rep/club programs in various sports. What is startling is the attrition rates along the way, to the point that when you reach the late teen years the two end products are:

1. If you talk to high performance national team level coaches in many sports they tell you that one of the problems is very small talent pools to pick from

2. Statistical evidence that by-and-large most teenagers by this age, have almost zero physical activity in their days/weeks.

So what was that frenzy of activity at an earlier age for? We got really nothing out of it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mad Jee wrote:
Pursuant to your cop question. If the guy is banned from LAPD for excessive force, am I okay with him joining the NYPD as a clerk? I dunno. I'm not saying that's a direct analogy, since Sutton is in a very similar role, except for not coaching minors.

Again, why are you choosing to make analogies that are not analogous? You even said, "I'm not saying that's a direct analogy", so then why are you making it? Sutton violated the trust of his position and is now maintaining that same position just before a different group. Let's make this analogy as simple as possible, let's say our LAPD cop sexually assaulted a minor during the course of an investigation, should be allowed to transfer to the NYPD as long as he doesn't work on any cases involving children?

- should he banned from coaching minors?

I think everyone agrees the answer here is yes.

- should he banned from coaching entirely?

I think yes, you seem to think no. He violated the trust of his position, he doesn't get to keep that position just because it's before a different audience.

I think you and many are missing the point here even although many are pointing it out then in some sense arguing against themselves. What Sutton was guilty of was betraying a position of trust over a minor and he should never be allowed to do that again and as such should never be allowed to work with minors, eg school teacher, scout leader, peadatric nurse etc. The actual job function he did at the time in some ways is academic, it was merely a route that gave him access to the underage girl. For me I have no issue with him coaching adults who are aware of his past, that is their choice to work with him and they are certainly not vulnerable.

On the issue of the seriousness of the crime and redemption (and yes I do believe it was of the utmost serious nature) I will use another analogy. Would you view a 20 year old who stole a Hershy bar (and please I'm not comparing rape with stealing a hershy bar just making a point of range of crime) with a sophisticate bank robber and think they should get the same punishment? The law in civilised societies doesn't think so and quite rightly to. What happened to the poor girl in India recently with rape and murder is degrees more heinous than what Sutton did and the law will see it that way as well and hopefully the perpetrators will get due punishment. Again I'm in no way defending Sutton but he was punished as the law in a civilised democratic society saw fit and the focus of any decent society should be rehabilitation of offenders so they never re-offend and, at least in Sutton's case, that seems to have been successful. He committed a horrible crime, was punished and will carry the stigma for the rest of his life but he is trying to get on with his life as best he can without being in a position to do the same again.

In reply to Jordan, as so often on this board people get slaughtered for certain statements. It appears over the last few years that sadly America has become incredibly polarised (abortion, gun control, political affiliation etc) and there is no room for shades of grey or compromise. Unfortunately your views have been victim of this polarisation as with so many conversations on this forum which in many instances just makes it an unpleasant place to visit. Whether I agree or disagree with your views (and I'm a bit of both) I will at least consider them and respect your views and I understand you have it in you to give someone a second chance. Everyone can make a mistake in life, heaven help us if the world tunred it's back on us completely and people refused to forgive. Note to the flamers, I'm saying forgive NOT forget, two very different things.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inherent to the concept of consent is understanding the impact and implications of the act to which you are consenting.
Legal or not (always a handy excuse), NO 14 yo girl can reasonably consent to such an act with a person whom she (assuming) admires, respects , wishes to please and , to some degree, fears.
As a female, I truly believe that there is never, ever any excuse, reasoning or justification for such an act as was perpetrated upon this child.

And to the poster who attempted to minimize the impact by saying that the victim (not a word I often use) is now married and successful : Shame on you.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except that he still coaches minors. It's right on the TBB website. Here's a picture of him with the Philippines team.

The girl behind him is 16. Two of the boys are 17. The President of the team describes it here: "We are very pleased to have top foreign athletes like Caroline Steefen, Ali Fitch, Matt O'Halloran and David Dellow in Alaska teamTBB. But we also want to augment this team with promising young Filipino athletes who will hopefully be able to represent the country at international competitions in the near future. Obviously having a top caliber coach in Brett Sutton helps make this goal a real possibility."

In fact, kids' projects seems to be a major focus of Team TBB, as shown on their "Our Activities" page.

In Brazil, "Together with Cali Amaral, president of the Association of Southeast Triathlon (ASTRI) in Brazil, and world renowned triathlon coach Brett Sutton, teamTBB is working to make a real difference in the lives of underprivileged youths in this country through the sport of triathlon." This page describes how one of their members "who not too many years ago was just another kid helped by a social project, then discovered by a triathlon coach at the tender age of 15."

Here's where Brett talks about his involvement, and going to "this little school type building and to 30 or so smiling little kids running around having a great time."

In short, he both coaches minors and has worked his way into a position of power and authority over them.

To those who say it's fine for pro triathletes to be coached by him, because they're adults and "know what they're getting into and can look after themselves"...it appears that some of the money these pros pay goes toward giving him access to minors in an "official" capacity. Are you okay with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well there we go.

Jordan, others, care to comment?

Sutton got exactly what he wanted from Jordan, a well respected figure in the sport with an especially large voice due to his role here with Slowtwitch coming out in support of him. Unfortunately, it has just left me to support Jordan less, not Sutton any more..

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. How anybody can defend the guy after seeing that is beyond me. He keeps right on coaching and interacting with minors like he never did anything. The door is open for Jordan and the others who try the justify this guy's involvement in the sport to step back but I doubt they will do it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i been out of the TBB Team after 2009. here's what i know

of the picture posted of team TBB alaska, brett dosnt coach the Filipino. They are part of a developpement team with the a philippine coach but like the brazil team and others, it s other local coach that are responsable for those team.

for the 4 months i was in the philipines, the local athlete werent allowed at our session, only the adulte pro team is supervised by Brett. I do not know if it as chance since but i douth it as. the pro team take all the time of brett so developpement coach do the work with others. so in resume, we had about no contact with those developpement team other than a few pictures photo shoot for promotion.

i have work with brett sutton for 1 year, learn a lot from him, he always as been a gentlemen with everyone around me and on the team. he was hard as a coach but i never had any red flag on his behavior during my time with the team.

i have dicuss the pass with him at a few occassion, he never ran away from talking about it. what i saw is someone that was trying to do good from a very bad pass. That is all i can judge, i can only take into account what i see and what i know.

my time with brett was very positive and i have learn a lot even if it didnt happen to be the most positive impact on my racing performance at the time.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said earlier in the thread, your blog was one I used to follow which I stopped following after you went to work with Team TBB.

I feel the same way about Brandon Marsh after reading his comments here, he essentially said that he went to train under Brett and Team TBB because it was "easy" for him, it checked all the boxes of coaching, sponsorship, etc. So he was willing to work with someone convicted of sexual assault against a minor because it happened to be convenient for him. That's not something I can respect.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the multiple quotes in the above post about him still working with minor's are lies?

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know, if you read my replie, i said that i m sharing what i saw and what i witness from the 2009 edition team. We had all those teams....some of the same athlete and philipino. and none of them were part of our training group.

Brett was working with a team of professional athlete and trying to get them to make a living out of this sport. While Team TBB and developpement program was big, very few were actually working with brett. I douth it as chance since but i might be wrong.

I have done so much research about brett and interview him, the manage and about 15+ of his ex athletes befoe joining in 2009. it was a major concern of mine. in the end, i had very positive comments from everyoone about him so i decided that i would go there as a adult and see for myself. That s all i can judge on.

I do beleive someone should be given a chance in life. A chance to go own with his life, pay the price of his crime and try to do good. I dont think he deserve a second chance to work with kids as a coach. but what i saw at tbb was a coach working with adult only. so i was in peice with that and the way he behavied with everyone around the team.

not here to defend him... i m here to share my experience.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, i understand your reaction. IT wasnt a easy call for me at the time. And it was a decision that i have taken very seriously and reseached a long time. At the end, i was in peice with it as i had done my homework and saw what i saw.

I dont know if things as changed now? if brett was working with kids now, i would not join the team. but whne i was part of it.... it was adult only and my impression is that it is still the case. Brett is the leader of team tbb but he dosnt coach everyone under the team unberealla.....

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toreishi wrote:
Inherent to the concept of consent is understanding the impact and implications of the act to which you are consenting.
Legal or not (always a handy excuse), NO 14 yo girl can reasonably consent to such an act with a person whom she (assuming) admires, respects , wishes to please and , to some degree, fears.
As a female, I truly believe that there is never, ever any excuse, reasoning or justification for such an act as was perpetrated upon this child.

And to the poster who attempted to minimize the impact by saying that the victim (not a word I often use) is now married and successful : Shame on you.

So what Sutton did was criminal. That seems fairly black and white. What is also black and white to me is that a genuinely remorseful person should be able to rehabilitate himself over time and given a second chance. That idea seems to be under attack in this thread and it disturbs me to no end. Shit, the average alchoholic can do hard-core damage to lot's of people, and when he sobers up he's cool, get's to drive, continue his career, as long as he stays off the bottle.

It does makes sense that Sutton should never get to coach a minor again (i.e give up the bottle), however pure is heart and actions might be now. But if I were a pro that's one person I'd try to get for a coach, and I'd be proud of the association. He pulled himself out of a low, low place.

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can reason/justify it in any way but for him to be even in contact with minors within the sport, to me is wrong. So you can say he doesn't "coach" them 3 posts after a picture of him with juniors, is odd.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe C. wrote:
toreishi wrote:

So what Sutton did was criminal. That seems fairly black and white. What is also black and white to me is that a genuinely remorseful person should be able to rehabilitate himself over time and given a second chance. That idea seems to be under attack in this thread and it disturbs me to no end. Shit, the average alchoholic can do hard-core damage to lot's of people, and when he sobers up he's cool, get's to drive, continue his career, as long as he stays off the bottle.

It does makes sense that Sutton should never get to coach a minor again (i.e give up the bottle), however pure is heart and actions might be now. But if I were a pro that's one person I'd try to get for a coach, and I'd be proud of the association. He pulled himself out of a low, low place.

The fact that he is still associating with minors let alone coaching them completely invalidates everything you just wrote.