Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am generally good about considering the world being shades of grey and I don't need to like or hate all aspects of a given person, and should be able to step back and accept a person's positive attributes while not supporting his negative ones.

On the coaching front though, I have difficulty separating Sutton's technical capabilities specific to triathlon from his moral/role model responsibilities as a coach in stewarding athletes, specific young impressionable ones over which he has great influence, who may not be able to exercise full adult judgement themselves. For a coach, both go hand in hard. Obviously many are able to make that separation, but perhaps for me, since my largest coaching role is with young impressionable athletes, I just can't get past it. Yesterday, I was on skis with 9 teenage girls of the exact age bracket that Sutton preyed on. Just the thought of him being on the field with us at the same time was really hard to deal with.

He may have moved on and reformed as a person, but like a doctor or a teacher, or a psychologist with a professional designation, if you use your position to transgress the confidence of those whose care you are been entrusted with, then you are removed from the profession. In my view, coaches need to be held to the same standard. No second chances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Just like it's impossible to say that Lance did not commit atrocious acts of intimidation, fraud, malice, etc. . ." (Rappstar)

Do you believe LA's teammates were afraid of being incinerated by him (Tygart)?

Lance is super human, but not that super human?

Some of this Lance rhetoric is an exaggeration. Overall, if Jordan can forgive Mr. Sutton, he can soften his position on Lance. Maybe not today, but some day!

Last edited by: TriBeer: Jan 11, 13 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
"Just like it's impossible to say that Lance did not commit atrocious acts of intimidation, fraud, malice, etc. . ." (Rappstar)

Do you believe LA's teammates were afraid of being incinerated by him (Tygart)?

Lance is super human, but really?

Some of this rhetoric is an exaggeration.

Please don't try to hijack what is a fairly serious thread topic with more of your inane LA comments. We all know you support him. I fall on that side as well. Take it somewhere else though.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you think the fact that he committed statutory rape means that he shouldn't be allowed to offer comments on the athletic development of children? I fail to see how those two things are related.

"I think that it's crazy that we have our young kids doing core exercises and running in 'stability' shoes."

"Your opinion doesn't matter because you raped a child."

Is that, in summary, what you are saying? That doesn't make any sense to me.

And you think less of me because I choose to forgive him for the crime which he committed? That makes more sense to me, because I understand that it's important that we share a basic understanding of morality and consequence. But I'm not saying what Sutton did is okay; I'm just saying I don't believe it defines him as a person.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
So you think the fact that he committed statutory rape means that he shouldn't be allowed to offer comments on the athletic development of children? I fail to see how those two things are related.

"I think that it's crazy that we have our young kids doing core exercises and running in 'stability' shoes."

"Your opinion doesn't matter because you raped a child."

Is that, in summary, what you are saying? That doesn't make any sense to me.

And you think less of me because I choose to forgive him for the crime which he committed? That makes more sense to me, because I understand that it's important that we share a basic understanding of morality and consequence. But I'm not saying what Sutton did is okay; I'm just saying I don't believe it defines him as a person.

Read what Dev wrote. As usual he well thought out. Sutton lost his ability to ever have any place in the coaching world, especially related to kids, despite what you may think he brings to the table. You are free to disagree of course and support him as you continue to do. I think it's sad and reflects poorly on you. Simply my opinion though and one you've stated you're not worried about so there really isn't any value to debating it with you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is a fair philosophy, but you seem to not share the same line of thinking when it comes to an athlete having a place in the athletic world after years of organized cheating.

Do you feel there is a significant distinction there, or do we as humans just tend to more easily forgive the people that we find inspiring or amazing?

TravisT wrote:
Sutton lost his ability to ever have any place in the coaching world

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We agree that a heinous action does not make a person entirely evil. In fact, I'd argue that the vast majority of criminals also have a lot of good qualities.

That said, "reform" doesn't mean doing good things in parts of life unrelated to the crime. It means reforming the characteristics that led to the crime. Sutton is still the manipulative, authoritarian coach searching for personal glory that he was at 27; they're the same qualities that led him to his crime, and the same qualities that make him say "FU" to the rest of the world.

Reform would be him recognizing that he abused his position as a coach so much that he should switch careers and start over. Reform would be dropping the manipulation and self-aggrandizement. Reform would be volunteering at USAT coaching certification programs and talking honestly about why he committed his crime, and the danger signals that other coaches should be aware of.

I see nothing of the wisdom you think he brings to triathlon. I see a lot of knowledge about training and racing. But wisdom is the ability to synthesize that knowledge into bigger life principles that transcend triathlon and sport. Sutton, through his actions and words, continually demonstrates that he is incapable of guiding himself--let alone his athletes--to be better human beings.

If he is in fact a father and mentor who cares a lot about people, why would it "totally destroy" him to do that in a medium outside of coaching? Lance can do good work through Livestrong, but shouldn't be involved in cycling/triathlon. Pete Rose can do lots of good for the world, as long as it's outside baseball. Why let Sutton off the hook? Why let him continue in the sport that he so violated? Why not insist that he move on?

Jordan, I appreciate that you don't want to stand in judgment of people's intentions, or speculate on the good or bad about people. But this is a man who acknowledged committing a terrible crime, so we're talking about facts, not speculation. It is, in fact, our job to stand in judgment of our peers/colleagues/friends who commit certain actions. To say, "Sure, but he's a good father and knows a lot about triathlon," is to abdicate the responsibility to punish those who we otherwise like. To ban him from triathlon and coaching is not the same as saying he is an entirely evil person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read what Dev wrote, and I agree it's well thought out. I agree with some. Disagree with other parts. But I don't think any less of Dev as a person because of what we disagree on.

That's what I find confusing about your stance. I don't have a problem disagreeing with you. That is what I am not worried about. And while I certainly respect your write to think less of me, it does make me sad.

In other words, I don't care that you and I have different opinions. But I do care that my opinion makes you think less of me as a person. Now, I'm not going to change my opinion simply to make you like me, but I think it's unfortunate that we can't agree to disagree and also maintain a respect for each other.

I think the Lance "debate" (which is less of debate than people shouting at each other) really has highlighted this here on this forum, but it's most pervasive in modern politics. And it troubles me. As someone who supports Lance, I thought you might have taken a less "with me or against me" attitude. I don't think less of you because you choose to have a different opinion of Lance than I do. FWIW, which maybe isn't very much...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I think this is a fair philosophy, but you seem to not share the same line of thinking when it comes to an athlete having a place in the athletic world after years of organized cheating.

Do you feel there is a significant distinction there, or do we as humans just tend to more easily forgive the people that we find inspiring or amazing?

TravisT wrote:

I really don't want to devolve this thread into another LA one. See my comment to Tribeer above.

That said I simply don't care about what LA and did nothing is going to get me to. I fully appreciate people and their position who feel LA nor Sutton have a place in sport. They argue from a consistent place. If you somehow feel that LA's actions are worse then child molestation, and that is what it was despite some of the idiots who want to shade it grey on here, thenI have some serious issues with where you draw the line on right and wrong. Sure LA doped, he broke rules, probably caused some pain and suffering in the lives of others but for me that doesn't reach the level of what Sutton did. I have no issue with you disagreeing with my lack of care regarding LA but comparing the actions of both is a sliding scale and Sutton falls far lower down. If you live in a world of black and white morality, and I don't think you at least do, then it would be impossible to reconcile how I see it but most people aren't like that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of the non american world doesn't care much about what Brett did either. Just different levels of 'shock and awe' there across cultures.

TravisT wrote:
jackmott wrote:

TravisT wrote:

I really don't want to devolve this thread into another LA one. See my comment to Tribeer above.

That said I simply don't care about what LA and did nothing is going to get me to. I fully appreciate people and their position who feel LA nor Sutton have a place in sport. They argue from a consistent place. If you somehow feel that LA's actions are worse then child molestation, and that is what it was despite some of the idiots who want to shade it grey on here, thenI have some serious issues with where you draw the line on right and wrong. Sure LA doped, he broke rules, probably caused some pain and suffering in the lives of others but for me that doesn't reach the level of what Sutton did. I have no issue with you disagreeing with my lack of care regarding LA but comparing the actions of both is a sliding scale and Sutton falls far lower down. If you live in a world of black and white morality, and I don't think you at least do, then it would be impossible to reconcile how I see it but most people aren't like that.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That was a great reply. Some stuff - a lot of stuff - I agree with. Other stuff, I just can't. I will give Nicola Spirig as a brief example. Brett wrote about her after the Olympics that they talked about what she should do now. Brett said that she and Reto Hug (her partner) should start a family; that she'd achieved everything there was to achieve in sport, and that what was important now was to pass on the gifts she had as an athlete and as a person. I read that post and saw it as genuine. Maybe you didn't read it. Maybe you did but drew a different conclusion. In any case, I disagree that there are no examples of him guiding his athletes to be better people.

He did the same with Chrissie. She struggled because she saw triathlon as "meaningless." Brett told that through triathlon, she could gain a platform that she could then use for meaningful change, which is what I think she wants to do now. Again, that doesn't seem to me to be the advice of someone who is incapable of guiding his athletes to better people.

I don't disagree that it would be appropriate to ban him from coaching minors. As far as I know, he doesn't coach minors. I don't think that he should be banned from coaching entirely - partly because I don't see how that's really enforceable - but I appreciate your reasons for why he should. And, in general, I don't disagree with any of what you wrote about needing to enforce the laws and morals of society. But I do disagree that there is no evidence of real wisdom.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I read what Dev wrote, and I agree it's well thought out. I agree with some. Disagree with other parts. But I don't think any less of Dev as a person because of what we disagree on.

That's what I find confusing about your stance. I don't have a problem disagreeing with you. That is what I am not worried about. And while I certainly respect your write to think less of me, it does make me sad.

In other words, I don't care that you and I have different opinions. But I do care that my opinion makes you think less of me as a person. Now, I'm not going to change my opinion simply to make you like me, but I think it's unfortunate that we can't agree to disagree and also maintain a respect for each other.

I think the Lance "debate" (which is less of debate than people shouting at each other) really has highlighted this here on this forum, but it's most pervasive in modern politics. And it troubles me. As someone who supports Lance, I thought you might have taken a less "with me or against me" attitude. I don't think less of you because you choose to have a different opinion of Lance than I do. FWIW, which maybe isn't very much...

I should have worded that differently. I don't think less of you as person it just affects how I view you as a spokesman and someone I listen to and look up to in the sport of triathlon. Your opinions and actions carry far more weight then mine do in the sport and you are going to get held to a much higher standard. There are a lot of people who feel that despite Sutton's apparent contrition for his actions, which I feel are much like LA's contrition will be in that he's just saying what he needs to, he has no place in coaching. Your support of him lends credence to his place in the sport though and touting his opinions on something related to kids lends even more support to an area of the sport he should absolutely never under any circumstance have a place or even deserve an opinion in.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
A lot of the non american world doesn't care much about what Brett did either. Just different levels of 'shock and awe' there across cultures.

TravisT wrote:
jackmott wrote:

TravisT wrote:

Dubai is a great place to race isn't it :-)