Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brett Sutton Article [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avagoyamug wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
avagoyamug wrote:

To compare Sutton with Sandusky is a travesty. Sutton had one consensual relationship with a 14/15 year old girl that he coached. The police interviewed every single other athlete he coached and there was no other incidence. He did wrong no doubt. It was a different time and he is a different person now. On balance I think he has done more good than harm on earth.

Do you realize what you have written? An adult having a 'consensual relationship' with a 14 year old..? That's pretty sick.
Sutton & Lance - they'd make good pair. It's everyone else's fault.

His questionable behaviour didn't stop after the multiple incidents with the 14 year old girl.

Save the drama queen act sweetheart.

I said that is was wrong. What I am saying is that there are degrees of wrong and what he did it is not in the same post code as what Sandusky did or what every second catholic priest has done all over the world that are still protected by that evil corporation, even today.

If you feel that what he did and molesting 6-12 year old boys are the same because there are no degrees of wrong, just either right or wrong, then go ahead. I just don't see it that way.

He has paid for what he did again and again and will continue to do so for the rest of his life. Its part of the reason he is doing so much good at the moment as he is trying to make amends.

And by the way, the girl in question married on of Australia's top triathletes (now Tri coach) and has been for over ten years. She's fine.

She's had a Spot of trouble though... if you really know the facts.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just curious as to what you feel chrissie could do to better the sport? (being sincere here)...

other than raising the bar for women's competition im really not sure what she's done. i dont see increased prize purses for pros. i dont know a single person who didnt know anything about triathlon before who now all of a sudden knows who chrissie is. i dont know any current triathletes who go 'im going to race more because of chrissie, shes so inspirational'...what am i missing here?

dont get me wrong shes a great personality and i love watching her race but im not sure what tangible impact shes had.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
just curious as to what you feel chrissie could do to better the sport? (being sincere here)...

other than raising the bar for women's competition im really not sure what she's done. i dont see increased prize purses for pros. i dont know a single person who didnt know anything about triathlon before who now all of a sudden knows who chrissie is. i dont know any current triathletes who go 'im going to race more because of chrissie, shes so inspirational'...what am i missing here?

dont get me wrong shes a great personality and i love watching her race but im not sure what tangible impact shes had.

Seriously, not one? Dude, you need to meet more women triathletes. Plus learn how to use apostrophes.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were female you prolly would not see it that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe but how many of those countries have a higher limit when the older party is an authority figure.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I draft up posts and delete them every time this subject comes up. I'll just give some comments as I was quoted in the article. I talked at length last summer with the author, and he picked out one sentence of our nearly hour long conversation. But, this post will be a summary of what the author of the InsideTri article and I talked on. There's an article from 2002 that summarizes the case against Brett pretty well as well as that against many other coaches. The accuser/victim, the husband of the victim, Brett, Brett's coaching methods at the time (same/similar as those presented in this latest article), and other similar stories of the time. This one is sourced out of the UK. And, I only write that as another point of reference. It's nothing new. And what also isn't anything new is that the same type of thing has become an epidemic in the US via USA Swimming. But, you guys don't rail on that as much here.

I draft these posts up and delete them because what good is it going to do? I'm not trying to change minds. I'm just providing my opinion, and opinions are like @$$holes everyone has one. So, there I said it. And, of people who frequent this message board, there are only a few to my knowledge who have any real business posting about Brett and his conduct towards his athletes. Yes, Amy and I are two of those athletes who must have questionable morals for choosing to go to TeamTBB and work with Brett. Suffice to say I'm willing to stack my morals up against anyone's, but go ahead and question them like some of you have Rapp's. I'm not going to justify our decision for being coached by Brett and TeamTBB. Suffice to say we knew the history. Me because I've been in this sport since 88 and remember one of the first interviews ever done with Sutton, which might have been here on this site as I remember a quote from it being that "Carlson got to Sutton"...before a lot of people on this board were involved in triathlon. And, I made sure that Amy knew the entire history as well. Actually, here's the article http://www.slowtwitch.com/...opinion/carlson.html Dan writes an op-ed that still rings true. But, Dan has a way of writing or at least op-eding that doesn't sit well with a lot of people on somewhat controversial subjects.

So, why am I writing this? I don't know. I know exactly where I stand on things related to Brett Sutton. The only regret, if you want to call it that, about racing with TeamTBB is that it was a risk for a 35 year old pro that resulted in mediocre results. His coaching style isn't for everyone. It has been described as throw a dozen eggs against the wall and maybe one will survive, but they aren't all physically broken. And there might be some truth to that 1 in 12 statement depending on who you deem to be a success on the team or from all of his athletes not just the superstars. But, really I don't think that is accurate about his coaching in the sense that most mean. Never at any point in time did Amy feel 'at risk' nor did I. Brett is a coach who cares about his athletes, but a lot of you aren't going to see that in this post and no amount of writing might convince you otherwise or at least change your opinions of the man. I'm not here to do that either. You are just going to see a little troll of a man who committed a crime, never really paid for it in your eyes, and should never ever be allowed to coach again or have anything to do with triathlon.

You won't read the fact that there is a lot of truth to what he says. You won't know that he tells aspiring coaches that what he did is the worst thing you could do as a coach and that he's still paying for it. And he tells them at the same time, it is one of the failings of many coaches...that temptation. You won't see that he's got some great ideas about the sport. You won't note that unlike a lot of those who are in the sport to get theirs and only theirs, that he's in the sport first because he loves it and is passionate about it. Yes, he wants to get his as well, but I've really seen a lot of efforts made for the improvement of the sport as well. Improvements that hit on a lot of the same topics that are hit upon in this forum for pros, age groupers, race directors, etc. Dan has questioned at times and written about whether or not various people or groups being a steward of the sport. Brett is that.

To Bjorn. I hear what you are saying, and some of it rings true. Brett is really the glue that holds TeamTBB together and a lot of athletes are there because of Brett. But, a lot of athletes are there because of the promise of sponsorship, equipment, and coaching all under one umbrella. That is what initially brought us to the team, the complete package of sponsorship and coaching with very little expense outside of getting to and being at the camps and some prize money %age. It might have changed a bit in 2012, but we don't know. It really does beat the pants off of trying to do it all yourself AND find a world class coach all wrapped into one.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff Tex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are of course free to be coached by Sutton for any reason you choose. And I won't question your morals for doing so, even if your decision was born mostly out of convenience (wanting the package deal of sponsorship and coaching with little front-end expense). He may be remorseful for his crime, and he may have paid a high price. He also may have some great ideas about triathlon that many could learn from.

That, however, does not change my opinion that the price he should pay for his crime is a lifetime ban from coaching. But because I have no influence over that, my choice is to simply consider him a persona non grata. I likewise feel that way about any athlete who chooses to be coached by him, and any companies that sponsor his team.

My choice may or may not be logical or fair, but that's what it is until someone changes my mind otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The letters Dan received in reply to that column are worth reading. Among them is a letter from Sutton himself that is definitely worth reading.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../opinion/sutton.html

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
The letters Dan received in reply to that column are worth reading. Among them is a letter from Sutton himself that is definitely worth reading.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../opinion/sutton.html

Agree about the letters being very good. That column also reminded me that the crazy-flashing ST ads literally were the reason that I installed adblock on my computer (although I think it was some other flash-blocker that existed before adblock?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your posting that link led me to see this piece written by Dan for the first time. I really can't believe someone as smart as Dan would write that, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised given his continuing (until recently) head-in-the-sand attitude about Lance.

Dan's wrong, Sutton isn't our sport's Pete Rose, preying on a minor is a world apart from betting on baseball. And Pete Rose is banned for life from baseball, unfortunately we can't say the same about Sutton. He has every right to be a contributing member of society, but no right in my opinion to be in a position of authority over others such as a teacher or coach.

I've seen your friendship develop with Sutton just via your tweets over the past few months and I must say, it kind of sucks to see. You're free to do as you choose certainly, and I guess I'm free to be disappointed.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
Suffice to say I'm willing to stack my morals up against anyone's, but go ahead and question them like some of you have Rapp's....

Forgive me for being short, it is flu season and our resources are stretched thin trying to figure out who has the sniffles and who has the flu. Maybe it isn't as tiring as a Brett Sutton workout, but when you get to tell a kid he can go home and play Xbox with his brother it makes the long days worth it. Reminds me why I chose to work in a children's hospital- kids are precious and innocent and it is all of our responsibilities to keep them safe.

That having been said, we can now stack morals. I spend my days, and lately nights, trying to keep kids healthy and safe. You work for and publicly defend a man who as a 27 year old male used his position of authority to sexually abuse a 14 year old girl. A crime he pleaded guilty to and never spent a day in prison for. He is, however, contrite about the whole ordeal. Are we done stacking?

Look, here is the truth. I don't think you or Jordan or Chrissie or any other member of team tbb are bad people for working with Brett. I think you all know that interactions with him can aid your careers and I think you are willing to buy the line he has managed to sell you about him molesting a 14 year old girl. None of you would have given him a chance if he wasn't as good a coach as he is. And none of you would work with him if he didn't convince you that he is remorseful and reformed. Thing is, I am fairly certain Sutton knows all this and knows his success depends on convincing folks to look past his actions.
You aren't bad people; you are people buying a load of crap from a piece of shit. I think the professional success that piece of shit can offer is what brought you in the door to the showroom and I think the convincing sales pitch is what sold you. You aren't bad people, you are just human.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Yknot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yknot wrote:
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
Suffice to say I'm willing to stack my morals up against anyone's, but go ahead and question them like some of you have Rapp's....

Forgive me for being short, it is flu season and our resources are stretched thin trying to figure out who has the sniffles and who has the flu. Maybe it isn't as tiring as a Brett Sutton workout, but when you get to tell a kid he can go home and play Xbox with his brother it makes the long days worth it. Reminds me why I chose to work in a children's hospital- kids are precious and innocent and it is all of our responsibilities to keep them safe.

That having been said, we can now stack morals. I spend my days, and lately nights, trying to keep kids healthy and safe. You work for and publicly defend a man who as a 27 year old male used his position of authority to sexually abuse a 14 year old girl. A crime he pleaded guilty to and never spent a day in prison for. He is, however, contrite about the whole ordeal. Are we done stacking?

Look, here is the truth. I don't think you or Jordan or Chrissie or any other member of team tbb are bad people for working with Brett. I think you all know that interactions with him can aid your careers and I think you are willing to buy the line he has managed to sell you about him molesting a 14 year old girl. None of you would have given him a chance if he wasn't as good a coach as he is. And none of you would work with him if he didn't convince you that he is remorseful and reformed. Thing is, I am fairly certain Sutton knows all this and knows his success depends on convincing folks to look past his actions.
You aren't bad people; you are people buying a load of crap from a piece of shit. I think the professional success that piece of shit can offer is what brought you in the door to the showroom and I think the convincing sales pitch is what sold you. You aren't bad people, you are just human.

These same people who will support Sutton and talk about how he is reformed and his actions don't matter because time has passed or the girl is now happily married (that one totally blew my mind) are the same ones who want to see LA destroyed for doping and being an asshole to people even if he were to come out and confess. This is not a defense of LA it's simply unbelievable where some people place their priorities.