Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BMC TM02...my build
Quote | Reply
I've never posted a photo of my bike, but there are so few TM02s on slowtwitch that I figured I would put this one up. I've never seen a white one on here so here are some photos if interested.

I opted for a TM02 over a TM01 for two reasons. One, I wanted a traditional stem/bar setup. All the "pro" setups on the TM01 looks so tall and forced on the front end. Second, I wanted a traditional front brake. So I've been working on this bike for quite a bit. Bought it back in april. Raced it in a different setup in may/june but never really felt quite right. Finally got around to taking it apart and rebuilding with some different stuff and came up with this. I've had the aerobars since 2006 and love them and decided to use them on this bike too. I have a set of ventus and a set of brezza bars laying on the floor. I don't like them. I do all my own bike work so i tinker a lot.

I'm coming from a 2006 cervelo p3, and here are some of my thoughts on the bike. The TM02 is very smooth. Almost feels too smooth, as if a race bike shouldn't feel so smooth, but I'm not sure how I feel about this quality. The rear brake is sort of a pain with the firecrest wheels when going from training to racing. I have the brake pads mounted with no spacers and I have the brake cable with some tension (which BMC doesn't recommend) in order to make swapping out easier. When I put on Zipps, I have to swap out to ground down pads, and release tension on cable. Otherwise it would require switching to ground down pads, removing crankset and then removing spacers just to use races wheels. The paint is chipping in 2 places right out of the box.

Disclaimers
1. The saddle is a demo. Will likely buy in one white. Very comfy. Thoughts on black or white?
2. Will add some white bar tape on extensions only.
3. Need to dial in position and trim stem and cables a bit.
4. Bottle cages might get swapped out. Any thoughts on something aero that will still hold standard bottles?
5. Might swap out to TT chainring.
6. Nothing behind seat or on bars. Just two bottles on the frame and a Pitstop in my pocket.
7. I might try out a dark speed works box on the top tube for racing this year too.

-jack

-[/url][/img]
-[/url][/img]
-[/url][/img]

-----
Fine Line Racing - "this is living"
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [cyclingdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What an absolutely sensational bike.

Enjoy it.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is a really sweet bike. the perfect everyman's super bike. IMO.

i see you have an Omega brake cool. if i try really hard to find a flaw i'd say you need one of Nick's Sigma stems too. it tighten's the cables up. after that, i got nothing.
maybe you need a disc. man i am jealous.

Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack,
Black for sure on the saddle. Awesome looking ride and thanks for sharing. I've heard "interesting" things about the integrated front brake, switching pads, inserting FC wheels so I think you made a wise choice. Go fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclingdoc wrote:
Disclaimers
1. The saddle is a demo. Will likely buy in one white. Very comfy. Thoughts on black or white?

Nice ride!!! Really like the way it looks in the first pic. My thoughts on the seat, keep it black, my thoughts on the bar tape, keep it black or maybe try to find a green that matches the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested to know how the geometry differs for you between your 2006 P3 and this set up.

Great build by the way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclingdoc wrote:

Keep the saddle and tape black. The bike's frame really pops with the white and green, and then the rest of the components are black. Your seatpost is black, not white, and so it's cleaner in that area to go from white to black and not from white to black and then back to white again. I'm assuming carbon wheels of some sort will go on the bike, so that will tie in nicely as well.

White stuff tends to look dirty after a little use as well - not a problem with black.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
that is a really sweet bike. the perfect everyman's super bike. IMO.

i see you have an Omega brake cool. if i try really hard to find a flaw i'd say you need one of Nick's Sigma stems too. it tighten's the cables up. after that, i got nothing.
maybe you need a disc. man i am jealous.

Thanks, that was my goal to make a somewhat "affordable" superbike.

I think Nick is only making the stem in one length. Won't work for me.

I actually sold my zipp 900 PT disc this year. Going with the 808FC for more "comfort."

BTW, i quotation marks happy today.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noxious wrote:
cyclingdoc wrote:

Disclaimers

Nice ride!!! Really like the way it looks in the first pic. My thoughts on the seat, keep it black, my thoughts on the bar tape, keep it black or maybe try to find a green that matches the frame.

The green would probably be pretty cool. I'll have to look around for a match.

Thanks

-----
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [alexleon005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexleon005 wrote:
I would be interested to know how the geometry differs for you between your 2006 P3 and this set up.

Great build by the way!

I was on a 56cm cervelo P3. I'm on a medium-long TM02. I'm 6'1" with 34.75" inseam and have relatively short torso. Subsequently makes a shorter reach fit much better, but at the same time I don't like too much drop either. The photo is shown with a 7cm stem. 10cm drop from saddle to pads. I can get more numbers tomorrow when I'm home.

The cervelo wasn't really ever a good fit for me. I bought way back in early 2006 when it was really the only "fast" bike to buy. I think CSC was cruising around on them, Dave Zabriski was winning TTs in the TdF, etc. So I had to have one.

-jack

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Nice bike! I am also building up an 02. I have a quick question. I have the Omega brake, but it doesn't sit flush with the fork. Did you have that issue?

Thanks.

CB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot bike, nice set-up. Looks really good with the omega brake on there.

(Small touches: yes, a black SP 483 will set off the black saddle and black tape nicely--shoot me an email, I might have some neat ways to match the green and blue on your frame with the black speedpack. Also, maybe peel off just those small red FC decals on the zipps?)

Greg @ dsw

Quote:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Oct 29, 12 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great looking ride. I like the black saddle as well. Have fun with this and go fast!!!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [SilverTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are those R2C shifters? Gross... mechanics nightmere. I've seen more of these broken in the last year than any other single part. And we hardly sold any!!! They just... stop shifting. Classic SRAM shifter quality. (And I run Rival on my own machine, in 2 years I've had 3 parts warrantied). Other than that looks pretty good, stay black on the saddle, and same with bar tape unless you enjoy washing your bar tape after every ride.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fizik makes an apple green bar tape that would look nice on your bars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is kind of a shame to hang two big round bottles on that frame. I would consider going with one on the bars and behind the seat. I know you said no in your disclaimers but I think you are kind of ruining the aerodynamics by running standard bottles.

Are you forearms pointed down a little bit when you grab the end of the bars? looks like the shifters are a bit below the pads. Might just be the angle.

Overall very nice looking bike.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on this: I do think it would be worth rethinking the hydration strategy. I know it's a bit of a pain, but Matt Steinmetz quotes loss of 5W at 30mph for a round frame bottle... and the same goes for just the cage. I doubt that disadvantage stacks to 10W for two bottles, but 5W is pretty significant. Initially I wasn't a huge fan of the between the arms thing, since it made computer placement difficult, but now I really like it. No fishing around in the frame triangle at speed. I just use the profile computer mount right up by the shifters.

Behind the saddle is definitely less convenient than on the frame, but it looks like your saddle placement would work quite well for it. There's enough space for you to get the cage under the rear of the saddle so you don't have to reach back quite as far. And FYI, I got an email this morning from probikekit advertising their gorilla cages for 30% off, which should help minimize launching issues. I tried the profile plastic cages and got one too many launches on training rides to ever use them in a race. It didn't surprise me that Carfrae got a launch in Hawaii this year with the same cage.

p.s. Are you sure you don't want to tape the pitstop to the frame? Not sure I'd want a can of compressed air in my pocket if I ever went down hard...

p.p.s. That is a totally gorgeous bike, thanks for the share.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [jcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcd wrote:
+1 on this: I do think it would be worth rethinking the hydration strategy. I know it's a bit of a pain, but Matt Steinmetz quotes loss of 5W at 30mph for a round frame bottle... and the same goes for just the cage. I doubt that disadvantage stacks to 10W for two bottles, but 5W is pretty significant. Initially I wasn't a huge fan of the between the arms thing, since it made computer placement difficult, but now I really like it. No fishing around in the frame triangle at speed. I just use the profile computer mount right up by the shifters.

Behind the saddle is definitely less convenient than on the frame, but it looks like your saddle placement would work quite well for it. There's enough space for you to get the cage under the rear of the saddle so you don't have to reach back quite as far. And FYI, I got an email this morning from probikekit advertising their gorilla cages for 30% off, which should help minimize launching issues. I tried the profile plastic cages and got one too many launches on training rides to ever use them in a race. It didn't surprise me that Carfrae got a launch in Hawaii this year with the same cage.

p.s. Are you sure you don't want to tape the pitstop to the frame? Not sure I'd want a can of compressed air in my pocket if I ever went down hard...

p.p.s. That is a totally gorgeous bike, thanks for the share.

In the past, I've seen mixed reports on the aerodynamics of water bottles on the frame. Many reports saying even a plain round bottle on the down or seat tube can actually be faster than no bottle. Right now I'm too lazy to find the literature. I don't mind a bottle on the bars and the HED bars setup perfectly with bottle between the bars but it's so convenient to have two plain bottles on the frame.

It's so hard to know what's really better. I might go to one on the bars and one on the frame.

That's for the feedback.

-jack

-----
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [jcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcd wrote:
And FYI, I got an email this morning from probikekit advertising their gorilla cages for 30% off, which should help minimize launching issues.

Not to derail things, but I did the climb (and descent) of Haleakala twice last month and the first time down, I lost one bottle using the X-Lab behind the saddle carrier with Gorilla cages (and the bottle was empty!). Second descent three days later, two empty bottles in the Gorilla cages, and this time I lost both of them! Both times, I didn't even realize I had lost bottles until I got to the bottom. It's a way long descent (~1 hour), but not terribly bumpy.

Even with possible bottle launch issues, I have to agree that a BTA bottle would work (at least give it a shot to see how you like it). If you need a second bottle, then yes, supplement with the BTS bottle. If you only need one bottle and don't like the BTA bottle placement, get an Arundel Chrono bottle and cage for the downtube.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonderful bike. Very nicely done.

But that seat. It might be comfortable. It might be the best thing since butter on toast. But my God man it is hideous.

Just my vain Eurosnob 2 cents.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclingdoc wrote:
I was on a 56cm cervelo P3. I'm on a medium-long TM02. I'm 6'1" with 34.75" inseam and have relatively short torso. Subsequently makes a shorter reach fit much better, but at the same time I don't like too much drop either. The photo is shown with a 7cm stem. 10cm drop from saddle to pads. I can get more numbers tomorrow when I'm home.

-jack

Hm, you are making me think I need to get my Retul fit done and go check out the TM02 at my LTS that is 15% off MSRP. I am just a hair under 6'1 with 36" inseam and short torso. My road bike is a 56cm Trek Madone with a 90mm stem. When I had clipon aero bars, I had to go down to a 80mm stem. And the LTS has a M/S TM02 in the white frame that I lust after but I was afraid it might be too short in the reach... Now I'm thinking it might actually work.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you may be closer than you think. I am on a M-S TM01 and am 6" 1/2" with similair short torso and it is a great fit. I am old and inflexible so I had to crank the stem up as high as the spacers would allow so there is lots of room to get lower if that is what you are shooting for. Certainly worth going in and getting fit on the bike. Also BMC has a great fit calculator for the bike on the their web site assuming you have all your numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clean!!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [Mansfieldmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I'm going to go check out the calculator...

I'm no spring-chicken either so I doubt I'll be getting too extremely low in front.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM02...my build [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LoDewey wrote:
cyclingdoc wrote:

-jack

Hm, you are making me think I need to get my Retul fit done and go check out the TM02 at my LTS that is 15% off MSRP. I am just a hair under 6'1 with 36" inseam and short torso. My road bike is a 56cm Trek Madone with a 90mm stem. When I had clipon aero bars, I had to go down to a 80mm stem. And the LTS has a M/S TM02 in the white frame that I lust after but I was afraid it might be too short in the reach... Now I'm thinking it might actually work.

The other thing to consider is to buy relatively high stack aerobars such as 3T brezza or ventus. This way you avoid using so many spacers on the stem. I'm sure there are plenty of others too. The BMC geometry is sort of weird in that it is relatively short, but also low at the same time.

Personally, I think the BMC TM02 is a great value too.

-----
Quote Reply

Prev Next