Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [cyclist87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an pro/amateur slacker and I train about 12 hours per week.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What exactly is a pro/amateur?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looking at the last 2 years, I averaged 13 hours per week in 2011 as I was racing 70.3 and for 2012 I have averaged 14 hours per week training for two Ironman races.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During IM Training season (3 or 4 month cycle) I average (true average of hours divided by weeks) 15 hours. Near the end I am hitting 19 hours several times, at the very end before taper, I will hit 19 three weeks in a row.

The whole time I have 3.5 hours per week swim
I build from 30 miles of running per week to peak of 60
In regular weeks I will ride 7 or 8 hours, in big bike weeks I will ride 12 plus.

I am probably borderline MOP/FOP, I have gone 10:24 at IM before but am shooting for 9:45 range at my current fitness. Best 40k TT is just under hour, best 5k is just under 20 min (both not tapered/rested).

I think if I can maintain the ablve level of commitment through another training cycle, I have some pretty good improvements remaining. I am at FTP of 240 and weight 140 lbs. I have only had a power meter for a few months, so now that I know what I am doing, I am certain I can raise that FTP some more to make more gains.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
14 hours/week
5 running
1 swimming
3 biking
5 yoga, but also kayaking, hiking, weights, etc.

2 olys, 1 dua, 50M, 50K, and 3 marys ytd as I have generally transitioned away from a triathlon to run focussed events.

I live in Chicagoland so biking hours includes spin, but in general only 5 months have any cycling. I am cycling 40% less than my IM years, but my running is at similar levels.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very similar to Lighterair and FFmedic in the sense that during a typical build week I am at between 17-20 hours. Remember that when you take out the 4-5 hours of swimming, it certainly brings guys like us more in line with what you are doing.

I've written about this on the forum before, but I'll say it again here, IMO what it comes down to is very simple, and this is the advice that I follow myself and often give to others: train as much as possible. Take stock of everything going on in your life; both physical and mental stressors, and work to train as much as you can while still fostering positive adaptations. Someone that can nap daily and has little stress outside of training is much more likely to benefit from 20+ hour weeks than someone who is juggling this with a demanding job, family, etc. I know that personally, having been into endurance sports for just over 2.5 years now (starting with marathon running, into duathlon, and now triathlon this year) even when I don't have much else to worry about, my body seems to adapt best at under 20 hours. I can over-reach a few times during a year, but any more than that [volume wise] seems to be detrimental rather than helpful.

More is more, so long as you are adapting to it.

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclist87 wrote:
Hello,

I am a pro/ amateur road cyclist and very curious whats the average hours people train weekly. I'll start:

last 2 seasons were:
2011: 12
2012: 13

Its including races. I know triathles generally trains a lot, but curious.

12 hrs, almost even split between the three sports with a slight advantage going to the swim

-Jason
Quote | Reply
dianec wrote:
I did my first Ironman this year, and was averaging 20 hours/week, but bumped it up to 26-27 hours/week for my peak weeks. Right now I'm doing about 8 hours/week, and feeling really lazy about it. I do best with 12 hours/week.

Damn that is a bunch, what is your personal/professional life surrounding that?

I think I could benefit from more bike/swim volume in my training, but I would have a problem staying married/employed. If I had kids it would be a whole other world I think.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do around 13 hours per week on average with peak weeks being 18-19 hours, the breakdown of hours per discipline varies depending on the weather, but i would say bike>run>swim for me, and that also reflects my strength in each area according to my OA/AG ranks post race for each.

FOP, have only competed in Sprint/Oly so far; 5 triathlons this year and 4 run races.
Last edited by: Clempson: Oct 26, 12 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As opposed to train as much as possible I would frame the issue more as train as consistently as possible.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2005: 11.9 hours
2006: 12.5 hours
2007: 13.75 hours
2008: 12.06 Hours
2009: 12.90 hours
2010: 11.33 hours (injured Jan - March, lots of 0's)
2011: 13.36 hours
2012: 14.0 hours

As bryan said - i don't focus so much on actual volume, but more on making sure I do something every single day, preferably something twice a day.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
As opposed to train as much as possible I would frame the issue more as train as consistently as possible.

Completely agree, and thanks for pointing this out. If you train "more than possible," you are likely to get hurt, sick, etc. Consistency is key. My other golden piece of advice re; training is when folks ask about what program they should follow; it's the one that allows you to be consistent! So long as the basics are there in terms of the training program being technically sound, there is no one "perfect" regimen; it's the one that an athlete can stick to, again, both physically and mentally.

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a 33 AG. I managed to finish 70.3 slightly below or above 5hrs with 10 hrs (max) a week. Usually broken out as follows:

2 hrs Swimming
5 hrs Biking
3 hrs Running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've often wondered this. Is average a good measure - is it the time that is really focused on IM, or just the average hours per year?
Heres my average leading up to my first ironman. Prior to this have always ridden, hadn't ran consistently for over 16 years, hadn't really ever swum for more than 3 months a year.
In 11 months its about 650 hours, or ~ 13 hours a week. But 13, or average, is a poor indicator I think as threre is periods of low volue (0 hours and build up is from an injury after I had a coach for the first few months - after that I coached myself) and high volume (28 hours). This gave me a 10:14 finish for my first IM.
I personally don't think average tells the story as it ignores base and bears no relation around the IM push (for me anyway).

Ive just hit 660 hours this year, ~ 15 hours a week. Thats seen me improve my 70.3 time from 4:50 (so I went 2 * 70.3 pace + 25 mins for first IM) to 4:24.

Last year: The last week shown is the week before IM week.

I work full time, no kids, wrong side of 40.

Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 26, 12 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am usually around 18-20 hours including yoga, foam rolling, and whatnot...

--------------------------------------------------------------
I am a newbie to ST please be patent with my idiocy!
Skin Sake Athletic Tri Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
770 hours is a 2 hour per day athlete or 14 hours per week athletes.

The easiest way to figure out the reality is to take your annual hours and divide by 52. This is how many hours per week you actually do (most people take their maximum week and say that is what they do, especially when it comes to run mileage). For example if you are 51 kilometers per week runner (30 miles)....then you should be 2650 kilometers per year. Most people who claim to run 35-45 miles per week never actually surpass 2000k per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the last three years the average (over the year) weekly totals:

2012: 0h 26min per week...so far (was able to squeeze out a 4:46 half in NH)

2011: 0h 49min per week (2 race wins out of 4)

2010: 0h 45min per week (3 race wins out of 5 races)

2009: 1h 2min per week (it was a good training year; 4 race wins out of 6 races and a sub 2:00 ID)

I am able to finish FOP in regional races and consider myself luck to stay as competitive as I am with such a dirth of training.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Last edited by: stephen J: Oct 29, 12 6:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on the extremely low side. 6 hrs average and 8hrs is a big week for me. I consider myself FOMOP (front-of-middle-of-pack). I do Xterra's, sprints, Du's, 1/2 Marathon (2 this year) along with other running races ranging from 1 mile to 5 miles. I have a full time job, 3 kids, and a wife who needs time to be active too. I will be 39 in a couple weeks. I was a bike racer before wife and kids and that was 15+ hrs a week. I took up this multi-sport thing because it is easier to train for. A 30 minute ride is useless, but a 30 minute run is a good workout. I do this to keep me busy and out of trouble and so I can eat more than all my lazy co-workers.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The easiest way to figure out the reality is to take your annual hours and divide by 52. This is how many hours per week you actually do (most people take their maximum week and say that is what they do, especially when it comes to run mileage).

x10000
It seems like every sub-elite triathlete is boasting 30 hours of training a week. I would hazard a guess that not many elite triathletes can honestly make that claim. What does this number really mean? Is it an average over the whole season, the build phase, the race season? Did they count the off-season, taper weeks, sick time? Like as not, the number bandied about is more like peak volume. Or it includes all kinds of questionable "training" activities (stretching, physio appointments, ice baths, yard work...). But it sounds a lot cooler to say "I train 30 hours" than "Itrainupto30hoursbutsometimesaslittleas10ifI'mtaperingorrecovering."

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [endorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X1001

The average is the average including tapering/vacationing/winter months etc. When Bryan says he average 14 hours a week, that is a true average. I would bet he had several 18-20 hours weeks in there to hold the average up in spite of tapering and recovering.

For what it is worth I think that a true average of 12-13 is quite substantial. After all how many people really spend nearly 2 hours a day training YEAR ROUND.
Last edited by: vikingmd: Oct 26, 12 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm one of the guys who does over 770 hours per year, but I get a ton out of bike commuting. If I take that out, I'm below 500 hours per year. Anyway, as of this week, I'm at 720 hours or so. I don't think I will hit 2600K of running this week (basically 30 miles per week).

Anyway, the entire "I train x hours per week" is like the guys who "work" 60-80 hours per week. I think these people count everything remotely related to training or in the case of work, every moment in the week that they are actually doing work, at work, thinking about work, commuting to work, having lunch at work, having coffee at work, dreaming about work.....I count on getting 5 hours of productive time out of team members per day and the key word is productive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, and my math sucks, it should be 12 hours per week in 2011 and 13 hours per week YTD for 2012. Now that it's post race season, volume over the next 2 months will likely be closer to 10-11 tops so even my 2012 average will be closer to 12. I'll just go with 12 and call it a day. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours do you train weekly on average ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.I thought about training at least 20 hours this week. I'll have to revise my numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off Season/Base Period; 10-12
Pre Season/Build: 14-18
Peak: 16-20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you train 20 hours per week, you better be doing 1040 hours per year. You might be out training Thomas Hellriegel in that case :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next