Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa
Quote | Reply
I understand that there will be 3 qualifying events for the 2013 Duathlon World Championships in Ottawa in August 2013. Rumor has it 1 in Calif, 1 in Alabama, and 1 in Minnesota (or somewhere near that state) but I havent been able to find any info. Anyone got any info?

Also 2014 Du Worlds will be in Spain and that the single qualifying event will be in Tucson in October of 2013.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump, hoping for some new information on the qualification races myself. I am very close in the age group USAT ranking, but I would love a shot at qualifying by means of spring/summer race.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your understanding is pretty spot on from my understanding. I suspect that our sources are different.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 16, 12 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bullshark wrote:
I understand that there will be 3 qualifying events for the 2013 Duathlon World Championships in Ottawa in August 2013. Rumor has it 1 in Calif, 1 in Alabama, and 1 in Minnesota (or somewhere near that state) but I havent been able to find any info. Anyone got any info?

Also 2014 Du Worlds will be in Spain and that the single qualifying event will be in Tucson in October of 2013.

This would suck - with Worlds being just north of NY, I would have hoped they would put a qualifier in the heavy populated North East. I thought AZ DU was trying.

I did hear that they will be releasing the info this week, so then I guess we will know.

Any idea how 3 qualifiers would work in terms of the slots per race that qualify?
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
bullshark wrote:

This would suck - with Worlds being just north of NY, I would have hoped they would put a qualifier in the heavy populated North East. I thought AZ DU was trying.

I did hear that they will be releasing the info this week, so then I guess we will know.

Any idea how 3 qualifiers would work in terms of the slots per race that qualify?

I believe AmZof peeps were trying to be qualifier for Long Course Du Nats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got the USAT Mag yesterday and they have DU Nationals set for October 2013. I think it's a misprint. I had emailed USAT last month and they emailed back that they release a Nationals date in October, well here it is the middle of October and nothing concrete. Is ther any way to qualify for ITU Worlds Du other then going through USAT?

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadians that missed the qualifying event can submit and application by December for consideration. I was thinking about that, until I read that it'll be over $1,000 with the application fee, team outfits, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of pricey, and I'm not Canadian, ehy

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:
Canadians that missed the qualifying event can submit and application by December for consideration. I was thinking about that, until I read that it'll be over $1,000 with the application fee, team outfits, etc.

I went through the same process - I live in Ottawa, so I thought this would be good motivation to start running again. When I added up all the fees, it came to over $1,000. I can't justify spending that kind of money for 2 hours of racing! I'm not sure how anyone can to be honest.

A few weeks ago I criticized a local promotor for charging $90 for a sprint duathlon, which is looking like a bargain right now. This pricing for world du's is mind boggling to say the least.

B.McMaster wrote:
bullshark wrote:

Rumor had it at 2012 Du Nats that they would be doing one more year in Tucson for 2013, then moving...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Nacly [ In reply to ]
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

When they had a multi-qualifier system in the past it was between 2-3 slots in the regional's and 6 slots at national's. But with no slots at national's since they aren't until October, I suspect it'll be 4-6 slots at each regional. If past history is any judge, USAT will let unclaimed slots roll about 12 deep.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw they updated the qualification page with the three races (Alabama, California, Minnesota)- dates from early April to late May. 6 slots per age group at each race, roll down to 10.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/...a/qualification.aspx

Glad to have a chance to race somewhere other than Tucson, even though they did a great job there.
Last edited by: gmatom: Oct 19, 12 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like 2 of the 3 races are being used for qualification for both the sprint and standard Worlds. And since you can't race both at Worlds, one of the teams will be short people. 6 + 6 = 12, but it only rolls to 10.

Hope they change their minds and split up the sprint from standard qualifying.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!! Looks like its time to start base training for Minnesota!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to be honest here. Few qualifiers, high costs, lots of travel for Duathlons doesn't make it worth it to me to want to participate. I was honorable mention last year (injured this year) just missed all american so I certainly have interest in racing Nationals or worlds but it's just too expensive and not enough interest with Race Directors to hold qualifiers. Duathlon is a great sport but when you have Nationals in the beginning of the race season it just doesn't make sense. It would be different if you made DU Nats a qualified event held later in the year with races in each region as the qualifiers. I know that makes arranging worlds travel more difficult but it seems to be a much better format.

John Mickle
ECI Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping they would put a race a bit closer to us out here in the NE. Guess I'll be traveling to MN in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alabama - 13 hours away
Minnesota - 18 hours away.

Sure wish USAT would have one in the upper mid-Atlantic or NE.

Anyone in MD-PA-NJ-DE want to carpool to one?
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
Alabama - 13 hours away
Minnesota - 18 hours away.

Sure wish USAT would have one in the upper mid-Atlantic or NE.

Anyone in MD-PA-NJ-DE want to carpool to one?

Only problem with Alabama is that its just a Short Course qualifier where Minnesota is both.

Have to agree on the mid-Atlantic or NE - with Worlds so close to us (relatively speaking) it would have been ideal.

West Point would have been great - the have held one in the spring for the past 2 years and what better place to hold a National event than at a National school. And as an added bonus, they could use the snipers to police the drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote Only problem with Alabama is that its just a Short Course qualifier where Minnesota is both.

Have to agree on the mid-Atlantic or NE - with Worlds so close to us (relatively speaking) it would have been ideal.

West Point would have been great - the have held one in the spring for the past 2 years and what better place to hold a National event than at a National school. And as an added bonus, they could use the snipers to police the drafting.[/quote]

No, talked to the RD and it is a qualifier for both. All three have a regular and a short to qualify for both.

I agree - WEST POINT would be great for a qualifier.
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Oct 20, 12 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
[quote Only problem with Alabama is that its just a Short Course qualifier where Minnesota is both.

West Point would have been great - the have held one in the spring for the past 2 years and what better place to hold a National event than at a National school. And as an added bonus, they could use the snipers to police the drafting.

No, talked to the RD and it is a qualifier for both. All three have a regular and a short to qualify for both.

I agree - WEST POINT would be great for a qualifier.[/quote]
Guess I'm going to Alabama. Hopefully they don't update the web-site so the field is "weaker"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really is sad there are no qualifiers in NE/ NY.

There's no way they are going to even come close to filling 36 slots/ AG (between sprint & oly) but they could have got a heck of alot closer, if they put a race in a spot where racers could have a reasonable drive to qualifier AND race.

On a slightly different note, anyone know what the "going race" is for entry and unis for World's?

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more about the lack of a qualifying race in the Northeast. Best case scenario it means flying to a regional event, long drive to Worlds, and still having to fly again in October for Nationals.

Uniforms this year went for $120-$270 plus $25 to have your name screened, minus $20 if you had the Tri Sports logo on it. Entry fee was maybe $100
tripence wrote:
It really is sad there are no qualifiers in NE/ NY.

There's no way they are going to even come close to filling 36 slots/ AG (between sprint & oly) but they could have got a heck of alot closer, if they put a race in a spot where racers could have a reasonable drive to qualifier AND race.

On a slightly different note, anyone know what the "going race" is for entry and unis for World's?

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my understanding Duathlon Worlds for the pros is in Cali, Colombia for 2013. I think its a bad call to have the age groupers and pros separated.

fees... I think its about 100-150 for entry fee and about 125-175 for the racing suit. just a rough guess.

http://www.MattRusselltri.com

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The USAT and race websites are conflicting. The USAT lists the Double Oak du as the qualifier (10/40k/5k race). the race site however lists the Double Oak du as a 5k/20k/5k race. Based on your contact with the RD for the Alabama race, is the short course race - Double Oak Duathlon (5k/20k/2.5k) the world's qualifier?

I hope the 20 k bike is actually miles otherwise, this is an interesting course to qualify for a 10/40/5 venue.

Doing Du's since 1987.
Quote Reply

Prev Next