Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that.
Quote | Reply
I just got the GT 2000 and tried these. I had HOPED just hoped this would be a good change.

These just came out the last 2 weeks, and replaced the Asics 2100 series, 2160 and 2170, which millions run in apparently, including me. So, I anxiously waited on this new model, and these are like ROCKS. Bigger gel pad, I can't tell. I can't imagine other 2160 and 2170 runners liking these shoes.

But maybe others like this new model.

This is worse than taking Classic Coke off the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Adrenaline my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [Chris Athey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Adrenaline, and Brooks Trance, but this was my favorite shoe.

The GT 2000 is not a bad shoe, its just not the same as the 2150, 2160, 2170.

It reminds me of the hard feel of a NB 1220.

The 2100 series was golden! They are going to screw this up like Nike has with the Pegasus.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, vomero 4 to 5 was a similar mistake too! All the classics...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mistergomez wrote:
I just got the GT 2000 and tried these. I had HOPED just hoped this would be a good change.

These just came out the last 2 weeks, and replaced the Asics 2100 series, 2160 and 2170, which millions run in apparently, including me. So, I anxiously waited on this new model, and these are like ROCKS. Bigger gel pad, I can't tell. I can't imagine other 2160 and 2170 runners liking these shoes.

I, on the other hand, find it a better shoe. This is so subjective it's not even worth talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoe companies change their shoes all the time. For better or for worse. I've seen my beloved DS Trainers balloon from a shoe that felt fast and racy to one that feels fat and clunky. Your only consolation with Asics is that sometimes they reincarnate popular old shoes under different names. Asics may think that the GT 2000 is a small enough change from the 2100's that they don't sneak the 2100 platform back in their lineup under a different name, or maybe they'll see them as two distinct enough shoes that they'll come out with a new line based on the old 2100 platform. For instance, the DS Trainers went south when the 16's came out, but the Noosa Tri is basically a DS Trainer 14 with funky colors, so the original spirit of the DS Trainer lives on...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

I, on the other hand, find it a better shoe. This is so subjective it's not even worth talking about.

Does the dynamic duomax really provide the same amount of stability? If not I'll be stocking up and buying 10+ of the DS trainer 17s before the new 18s come out.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The quoted excerpt is from the poster scolding me for posting about subjective topics on running shoes. Let me say that if we are only allowed to discuss only objective observations here about equipment preferences, there'd be 2 posts a day here. I cite the thread on "yellow speedplay pedals," circa last week. Your issue about ds trainers immediately above you is talking about his disatifaction with the changes to the ds trainer over the years. As to the 2000s, I conceded others may like the firmer feel of it. It has somewhat of a lower heel drop to fit the new craze. Its lighter too. It is subjective whether you "like a shoe," but they should call it the 5000 series because it aint the same feel as the 2150, 2160, or 2170. I've run for 10 years or more. Its just not. Keep it but put it in a different series, like they did with the blur and 33.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad and good, that means the 2160 and 2170 will be discounted at shoe sites and I can buy 2 pairs of shoes and wait until they bring it back under a different name. I did that with the DS Racer, I love that shoe, but hate the look of the Noosa.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics always does that with their shoes...

I was happy running with 1170 and suddenly they change the fit on the shoe; #fuckers

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, has the Asics 11XX series been discontinued, changed, whatever...

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
So, has the Asics 11XX series been discontinued, changed, whatever...

I don't know...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright folks, here's the deal:

Asics has re-launched all of the numbered series: the 1000, 2000, and 3000 are all replacements for the 1170, 2170, and 3030, respectively.

The main complaints with the GT-series over the past few years were, as follows:

• Weight heavier than that of the competition
  • Less underfoot feel underfoot (aka "too much cushioning")
  • Heel slip
  • Medial posting feeling too aggressive
So, what'd they do to everyone's shoes?
  • Took 2 mm of foam off the forefoot and heel, leaving a 21mm/11mm stack height (keep in mind, I'm using the published numbers. I didn't bust out a tool to measure it.)
  • This allowed them to use less plastic in the midfoot, lightening the shoe
  • Bit narrower fit throughout (this might be the big error, IMO: we're pretty much selling more wides than regulars)
  • Brought the "Dynamic DuoMax" liner down from the Kayano. Basically, it's a layer of SoLyte between the medial post and the footbed. Same support as before, just doesn't feel as aggressive.
  • More flexible, particularly in the forefoot
The last time they made this big of a change to everything is when it went from the 2110 to the 2120 (the year they switched from SpEVA to SoLyte foam). The following year, they revised the fit on the upper, and all is well.

I'm not an Asics guy by any stretch of the imagination, and this shoe didn't change my opinion of it. But the rest of the category was catching up (Saucony Guide, NB 870, Brooks Ravenna), so Asics went in that direction.

If you try on a 2000 and hate it, my money is on the Saucony Guide picking up where you left off. Fit is similar to a classic 2100 series shoe with a little more responsiveness, but a pretty well cushioned ride characteristic.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
  • Bit narrower fit throughout (this might be the big error, IMO: we're pretty much selling more wides than regulars)

:(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been that way with Asics for a while...the Nimbus, Cumulus, Kayano, and 2100 have gotten progressively narrower in the fit. Mizuno, on the other hand, is now taking that older Asics fit: narrower in the midfoot, nice broad forefoot. Alas, they don't have a midfoot posted shoe so no recommendations against the 2000s. Hence the Guide or 870 recommendations.

Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
mistergomez wrote:

Same here. Just got mine last week.

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [C W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my 2000's today. They feel fantastic.

Glove like fit that I have enjoyed since the 2110's. But road feel like Mizuno Wave Riders.

No more of that "dead" feel that I got used to in the 2100 series, but never really preferred.

Thumbs up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMFL in the new 2000s and hated them. Had a nice hotspot on the ball of each foot. Felt like I was running in cardboard slippers. I find this strange because James and I typically like the same shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [Chris Athey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Athey wrote:
Brooks Adrenaline my friend.

I go with Saucony b/c I find that Brooks's toe box is too narrow (ever so slightly compared to Asics and Saucony).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the 21xx series went downhill after the 40's. not sure what it wss, but right now I am rotating through one pair each of the 50, 60, and 70's and am not in love with any of them like I was before the 50's.
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [foots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I haven't actually run in them yet, so I maybe putting the cart before the horse
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in the 21xx series for several years now. Also, whenever I'm in Florida visiting my parents, I like to stop in the Runner's Edge store in Boca Raton since I really like the knowledge of their staff.

When I was down there last week, I stopped in to see what kind of shoe they would recommend since I'm dealing with some sore achilles tendons. They pointed me to the Nike Structure 16's.

http://fleetfeetsports.wordpress.com/...tely-new-innovation/

I've now added them to my shoe rotation. They seem to be working out for me so far.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice post. If you would be so kind to give a recommendation. I hate changing shoes but oh well. Have been running in the Asics empires (2004?) then the 3030's so thats been awhile. Use full foot orthotics that sometimes have a width issue in the midfoot. May, may not drop the ortho's. Since I have been in basically the same shoe for so long, any recommendations? Heard the fit is different in the 3000's. So what you say? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Asics replacing 2160s 2170s with GT 2000 series?. Good luck on that. [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of the new numbered series line, that 3000 is really, really solid. It's basically a 2000 with a really plush feel underfoot, and a "classic" (read as: wide) Asics fit.

However, they dropped the widths in the 3000. So if the D doesn't fit...you'd be talking along the lines of the Saucony Guide. It's really the only other midfoot stability shoe that comes close to offering a similar amount of support and the fit characteristics you're looking for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for giving this rundown of changes. This explains why the shoe feels less cushioned under the forefoot , why it doesn't feel roomy enough for me (especially in the toe box) and less overall feeling of control. It's not for me anymore and I'll be looking for a different shoe.
Quote Reply